• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First Bacon...Ever! With Qview

bakerboy7

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 10, 2011
A new Oriental Marked recently opened about five minutes from us.  I was pleased to discover that they have a fresh meat section and they said that they would be more than happy to sell me as many fresh bellies as my arteries can handle.

I picked up 7 pounds, skin off for $2.99 a pound.  Not too shabby.

I thought this a good time to to try some buckboard, as well.  I removed the bone from the butt and cut in half.  Ended up with 7 pounds.

Cured both with 1 Tablespoon of TQ and one Tablespoon of brown sugar per pound of meat.

Out of the cure and rinsed after 10 days.

The fry test went so well, they almost didn't make it to the smoker.  I ended up soaking them for 2 hours, draining the water twice.

A day and a half in the fridge to rest and into the BSKD with a full load of hickory in the AMNS.

Out of the smoker

Rested a couple of hours and into the freezer for the night.  Got out the Fisher Price slicer after church today...

Into the pan

Yum!

Reaction:

The is the best bacon that we have ever had!  The missus loves the buckboard as the leanness picks up more of the sweetness of the brown sugar.  It was extremely easy to make and I recommend it to everyone.  This isn't gonna last long. I've already pulled another butt to the fridge to thaw and made a call to my Oriental friends for the next round.

I kept it really simple this time.  In the future, I will experiment with different flavorings. Maybe some onion and garlic ala Bearcarver or some CBP.

Thanks for looking.  This project went without a hitch and would not have done so had it not been for this forum.  Your experience and expertise is invaluable.

Chris

malisaw

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 13, 2011
Now that's a good lookin' load of bacon right there!  Man, makes me want to run down and get another bag of mine out of the freezer - but alas, we are having a baconless dinner tonight (I know, it's criminal)!

bassman

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 15, 2007
That's some fine looking bacon.  Like your wife, I think I actually like buckboard better than bellies.

flbobecu

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 11, 2010
Looks excellent! :drool

So, essentially it's a pork shoulder, cut in half, cured, smoked, cut and eaten? The same can be done with a smaller pork shoulder as well, correct (ie 3-4lbs)?

bakerboy7

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 10, 2011
Looks excellent!

So, essentially it's a pork shoulder, cut in half, cured, smoked, cut and eaten? The same can be done with a smaller pork shoulder as well, correct (ie 3-4lbs)?
That's it.  I cold smoked mine, so it has to be cooked like regular bacon.  Some prefer to hot smoke their BBB.  That's on my list of things to do.

flbobecu

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 11, 2010
[quote name="bakerboy7" url="/forum/thread/104620/first-bacon-ever-with-qview#post_608976"]

That's it.  I cold smoked mine, so it has to be cooked like regular bacon.  Some prefer to hot smoke their BBB.  That's on my list of things to do.
[/quote]

Thanks! I'll buy a slightly bigger shoulder next time, and cut it in half so I can try my hand at BBB. :yahoo:

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Looks great----You're hooked pretty good now!!!!

I like BBB flavor more than Belly Bacon too, but we like the Belly Bacon more in a BLT.

The BBB is so lean, if you don't have razor blades for teeth, you take a bite, and the whole piece wants to come out of the sammy.

Thanks for showing, Chris,

Bear

bakerboy7

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 10, 2011
Thanks guys!  Yes, bacon IS good for us!

Now that I'm 40, I don't know if I should tell my doctor about my new hobby. 

old poi dog

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 26, 2007
 You did a great job on the bacon!  As for the doctor...give him/her some bacon to sample.  I'll bet Doctor will be more sympathetic to your cause.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Nice looking bacon. Everything tastes better with bacon.

lexoutlaw

Smoke Blower
Joined Mar 17, 2011
im in process of doing bacon for the first time as well....ill be going with a cold smoke as well. today is day 3 of the curing process....

bakerboy7

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 10, 2011
That's awesome, Lex. Thanks for lookin' and don't forget to post your progress along with Qview.

[quote name="Lexoutlaw" url="/forum/thread/104620/first-bacon-ever-with-qview#post_609223"]
im in process of doing bacon for the first time as well....ill be going with a cold smoke as well. today is day 3 of the curing process....

[/quote]

graniteman

Smoke Blower
Joined Feb 8, 2011
GREAT LOOKING BACON,  NOW YOU GOT ME PUMPED UP TO TRY IT SOON.  HOPE IT GOES AS WELL

eman

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
I SMELL BACON!!!!!!

Looks great.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.