First attempt at Pulled Pork!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cybrslydr

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 18, 2017
Douglas, WY
I'm not making it today, but wanted to get the thread started with some pics for you folks of what I've got going and if you can think of something I should use instead or along-with. :D

Here's some of the ingredients:
20210108_150333.jpg

Briquettes:

20210108_150402.jpg

Roomie is currently out getting the meat.

Love the sweet & smoky rub. One of my favorites for a store bought. Could overpower it with the sauce though if it is too hot.
The BBQ sauce is pretty spicy, IMHO. My idea is to cook it all and see how it tastes without the sauce and then add some if I think it could use it.

You have all the basics, just add a pork butt and you are off to the races. Will you be injecting any of the apple juice, or using it during a covered step? In addition to a coating of rub, have you considered grinding some very fine and adding it to the pulled meat, as in a 'finishing rub'. It also helps to give the pulled meat a light sprinkle of seasoned salt, or just plain salt.

The best tips for good quality pulled meat is to let the muscles tell you if they should be pulled, chunked, shredded, chopped or sometimes they need to be sliced. You are really taking the butt apart, not really pulling it apart. It's tempting to attack it with some forks, but if you force it and get too aggressive it can look like spaghetti and can dry out faster. Here is an example of breaking down a pork butt, I do it by (a gloved) hand so I can feel the tenderness and also remove any fatty veins. You can return some of the foil juices (de-fatted) to keep it moist, or a mix of apple juice and foil juices.
zWmuRc7.jpg
This photo is on a serving line, you can visualize what I'm working with, and what I'll wind up with. I'm selecting some bark, I'll remove that fatty area below, and the muscles on the right have sort of flaked themselves.
yfK05W8.jpg
This is a cross section of a butt, use the blade bone as reference and you will know where the most tender and flavorful muscles are. The money muscle, tubes, and horn muscles are the best. The larger loin muscles will be tighter and whiter compared to the others.
VCND3PS.jpg
When shopping, look for a nice money muscle, this is what to look out for in the packaging. It will have the distinctive veins of fat.
twkE938.jpg

Couple of questions are you planning on cooking it in the aluminum pan or will the pan be on a grate underneath the butt. If on a grate underneath then disregard the next sentence.If your doing it in the pan then I would get something like a small rack, some cut up onions/carrots, or some crumbled up aluminum foil to elevate the butt. I don't like having them sit in the pan drippings. Also if your planning on wrapping then you'll need aluminum foil.

Chris

Couple of questions are you planning on cooking it in the aluminum pan or will the pan be on a grate underneath the butt. If on a grate underneath then disregard the next sentence.If your doing it in the pan then I would get something like a small rack, some cut up onions/carrots, or some crumbled up aluminum foil to elevate the butt. I don't like having them sit in the pan drippings. Also if your planning on wrapping then you'll need aluminum foil.

Chris
Yes, it's going to be on the grate underneath with water in it.

I'm going to attempt the snake method again. I've got some applewood wood chips that I'm going to space out like the pic above (chips, not chunks - stores don't have any chunkcs).

Going to start prepping the butt around 7am tomorrow and hope to have the grill warmed up and ready to go around 8. Have a thermometer for the butt and got that oven thermometer so I'd have an idea of what the temp in the grill is as well.

Just let it sit until the temp gets to 160 internal, correct?

Internal temp of 195-215 will be money. 165 will be done but not pull by a long shot. The meat must probe like butter. That can begin at around 195. Most often it will be 200, but can be 205, or 210. Settle in for the ride. It’s worth it.

Beautiful morning for some pulled pork! Lol
20210109_074317.jpg
20210109_074321.jpg

Give it about an hour and a half and check on it. Currently 37 degrees inside the meat!

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Just checked on it - meat has heated up to about 65 degrees, snake is working great so far, and the grill temp is right around 215. Little cooler than I'd like, but it is snowing outside. lol

Looks like a darn good start! Cant wait to see the finished product in about 10-12 hours. :emoji_sunglasses:
Jim
That's the part I'm most concerned about, that I put enough charcoal in there to last as long as this is going to take.

Should I almost completely close the top vent to try and keep as much heat in as possible?

I've got the top vent open about 1/2 and the bottom one about 1/4.

EDIT: Opening the vent has helped - grill thermometer says it's around 225 in there now, even with the snowflakes. lol

EDIT 2: About 4hrs in and it's at 127 internal and 225 on the nose on the grill

Last edited:
I think we've plateaued with the weather we have. The snake is working fine, with about 1/4 of it left, internal grill temp is right around that 225mark, but the internal temp isn't going past 149 right now.

Do I need to just add more coals and let it keep going or something else?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky