First attempt at Pulled Pork!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think we've plateaued with the weather we have. The snake is working fine, with about 1/4 of it left, internal grill temp is right around that 225mark, but the internal temp isn't going past 149 right now.

Do I need to just add more coals and let it keep going or something else?
Sounds like the beginning of the stall. At 149IT it's a little early. Are you checking the IT in several different places?

Sounds like the beginning of the stall. At 149IT it's a little early. Are you checking the IT in several different places?

No, I've not messed with it because I'm only peeking in the grill rather than taking the cover off. Going to attach some photos.

20210109_161336.jpg
20210109_161349.jpg
20210109_161342.jpg

Current plan is to just light some more charcoal, put it on the last bit of the snake and give it a few more hours.

A 5# butt is way different than the mass of a 10# butt. Now that you ave some color...wrapping with some broth or juice etc., can speed up the cook and break you through the plateau, keep the roast moist, and help with the tenderness. However, your bark will soften, but that is a side effect and not a show stopper for me. By the way, if you do wrap your oven works just fine because heat is heat.

The bottom line is... don't push it. And like I mentioned yesterday, naturally pulled pork looks like this. These plugs of meat are falling apart tender, and it's very pleasing for your family or guests to break them down at the table.
etxHIPS.jpg

A 5# butt is way different than the mass of a 10# butt. Now that you ave some color...wrapping with some broth or juice etc., can speed up the cook and break you through the plateau, keep the roast moist, and help with the tenderness. However, your bark will soften, but that is a side effect and not a show stopper for me. By the way, if you do wrap your oven works just fine because heat is heat.

The bottom line is... don't push it. And like I mentioned yesterday, naturally pulled pork looks like this. These plugs of meat are falling apart tender, and it's very pleasing for your family or guests to break them down at the table.
View attachment 479400
Thanks!

After putting this much time into it, wrapping it and putting it in the oven seems like admitting defeat. :) All that bark... :)

I think we've plateaued with the weather we have. The snake is working fine, with about 1/4 of it left, internal grill temp is right around that 225mark, but the internal temp isn't going past 149 right now.

Do I need to just add more coals and let it keep going or something else?
Run to the finish however you see fit. My experience tells me in this case, and given your experience no offense, you have good color and smoke flavor at this point. If it was me, I would wrap it in foil and finish in a 250* oven. You can thank me after supper. You will struggle to finish that meat today in that Kettel to good pull temperature.

Run to the finish however you see fit. My experience tells me in this case, and given your experience no offense, you have good color and smoke flavor at this point. If it was me, I would wrap it in foil and finish in a 250* oven. You can thank me after supper. You will struggle to finish that meat today in that Kettel to good pull temperature.
I think what we're going to do is give it another hour on the grill or so, then do the wrap and finish in the oven.

Looks great, glad you went into the oven with it. Let us know how it finishes.

Wrapped the heat will come fairly fast. If you are cramped for time by all means turn up the heat. If not let it ride. At this point all you need is heat and internal temperature. Get there any way you like. Slower may be better, but hot and fast is also proven.

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky