Finocchiona Salami finished up! Comparing two recipes.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SCBBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 2, 2021
Two smaller diameters finished up today - 40% loss - 7 weeks.

I'm pretty new so my first time today scrubbing the mold off - with water and drying them out afterwards.

IMG_0062.jpg
_
IMG_0062.jpg

Will post some tastings shortly. These two are fortunately from two different recipes executed the same day.... So it will be fun to compare the results.

This is one - I'll refer to it as 'Hank"

This one I'll call "artisan"

Reactions: kruizer
Of note: made a lot more of this but in larger diameter, so this is a preview for what's to come in upcoming months with the larger 4" casings.

Reactions: kruizer
So.. .. Honestly not a huge difference - the official tabulation from tonight with 6 votes was mostly for the artesian - I think the Hank version was a little saltier . The fennel came through in the artesian perhaps a little more but both recipes turned out really integrated in profile so not a huge stand out variance to compare against .

Yum, I love fennel salami my Gramp's used to make the best ever.
Your's looks awesome as well.:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: SCBBQ
The casing on this was the really thin hog casing to begin with and really bonded to the sausage - even after scrubbing there wasn’t any delamination. . Once slices were cut thin you could pick some off if you wanted to -

Yum, I love fennel salami my Gramp's used to make the best ever.
Your's looks awesome as well.:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

thanks ! Look forward to pulling out the bigger stuff this summer !

I'm liking the looks of those too. They look like 60 mm links in the earlier pics then about 25mm in the latter. What are they now? An inch or so in diameter?

I've got my own Finocchiona hanging in the chamber - maybe 3 weeks into drying, max. I used the Two Guys recipe if I remember correctly. From the way my other 60 mm collagen casings are going, I'm guessing it will be two months minimum drying time. Maybe we can trade samples on these down the road.

Lastly, I'm wondering if there's a discernable taste difference in salami made with top of the line wines/vintages vs. a more typical 10 - 15 dollar bottle of wine (like I would use). Have you done any experiments comparing salami tastes using different wines in a large batch of grind?

Last edited:
Mmmm,

I did several diameters - these were the first to come out - the smallest. I believe the hog casings were the 38-42 mm range and normal shrinkage from there... The larger ones are still in for a while, I presume another two months or so. So maybe a nice swap around that time would make sense.

As far as varying wines, I'm new to the hobby so I haven't experimented a lot yet. I've only used some of my old wines as they seem perfect for the job, since they have so much character and barn yard taste, but down the road I'm sure I'll experiment with newer stuff and share feedback...

I noticed that '88 white on a different thread and thought, holy crap - that bottle's been waiting to be opened for 2/3rds of my life! What a wine cellar you must have.

Look forward to seeing how your batch turns out. I was worried that mine were feeling a bit squishy a week ago @ 30% weight loss. Seven days and 4% more weight loss later, they feel like all is going along perfectly.

Nice job, they both look great. Hoping to do the same thing with some hog casings also for my first non umai salami.

Just sliced one of the finished ones up this weekend - this one was the ‘hank’ recipe - wow is it good .. my wife says the best we’ve done so far .. lots of fennel taste but not overpowering. weight loss right at 40%.. 3 months. Also tried one of the Calabrian ones .. it’s not that spicy but has some heat in the finish.. overall I’m proud that these are turning out to be incredibly edible :)
Salt content appears correct in both of these and l really like the lever diameters if I continue to chunk up some of the fat in lieu of grinding it all.

Attachments

• 315578C1-DBE6-4D95-8008-ABDA926D5355.jpeg
    315578C1-DBE6-4D95-8008-ABDA926D5355.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 4550A4C4-22C3-4F5A-9239-2B8502471E79.jpeg
    4550A4C4-22C3-4F5A-9239-2B8502471E79.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 8144A5A5-7F23-4A2B-B4E9-6A7FC6469E13.jpeg
    8144A5A5-7F23-4A2B-B4E9-6A7FC6469E13.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 18
  • 671E0B7A-0001-4378-9D8A-BF7B21874D17.jpeg
    671E0B7A-0001-4378-9D8A-BF7B21874D17.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 23
Very nice. They have the appearance of commercially made salami. What percentages of fat and salt did you use?

Thanks MMMM! Hope you are well..

This was the recipe I used.. I have found myself cubing up a bunch of iberico fatback, around 20-25% range, and then depending on the fat in the balance of the chosen meats to make up the rest of the fat content requirement, which gets ground up.

Hope to get better with the round shape and smoothness but otherwise it's hard to imagine how the taste will get better in future attempts.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-09 at 6.03.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-09 at 6.03.13 PM.png
    98.8 KB · Views: 18
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky