FINISHING SAUCE (for Pulled Pork)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Not only could I not find Tony Chachere's Creole Cajun Seasoning, but I could not find any chipotle ketchup that is used in TulsaJeff's smokey bbq sauce. I went to 5 supermarkets, but haven't checked out WalMart yet.

I got a bottle of Emeril's Bayou Blast Essence and Cajun's Choice Creole Seasonings - one of which I will have to substitute for Tony Chachere's seasoning.

I also picked up a bottle of Chipotle Tobasco sauce. Anyone know if I could substitute it somehow for the chipotle ketchup? Maybe I could add some chipotle Tobasco to ketchup?

Smokeeater, this is the recipe for the cajun seasoning.

20 oz box free flowing salt (Morton')
1 1/2 oz box ground black pepper
2 oz bottle ground red pepper
1 oz bottle pure garlic powder
1 oz bottle chili powder

He says to "mix well and use like salt. When it's salty enough, it's seasoned to perfection. Use generously on everything except when the recipes in his book call for something else. If too peppery for children, add more salt to mixture, then season to taste."

Jeff, I read the beginning and end of this thread. That sauce sounds great...obviously it's an eastern North Carolina finish, they use a variation of that on a cwb (cheap white bun) with slaw. Dee-lish. My sauce doesn't have the cajun stuff and adds lemon juice and white sugar. I think in western NC they use more tomatoes, and in South Carolina they like a mustard based sauce. I stick with the tarheel stuff. If only I could make it light blue.

Damn that sounds good.... I will be using that this weekend.

Thanks Jeff!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I couldn't find the Tony Chachere either so Used a stadard Canjun Spice. I also couldn't find the ketsup so I used regular ketsup and added Jalepino powder.

Even made wrong it's great stuff!

walmart usually has some tony cachere's- ya can use the reg cajun season or the spicy bbq shrimp spice ( same thing diff name)or just the reg(green can) tony cachere w/ 1/2 tsp(for up to 16 servings)cayenne pepper or the emeril's seafood spicy seasoning....funny - down south texas & lousiana we add 1 lb cayenne pepper per 5 gals of bottom paint for our boats to keep barnacles off.....

While I was forced to use a homemade spice mix as cajun seasoning doesn't seem to be found in abundance around here I have to say that this sauce is the best thing since sliced bread. I used some of it on some leftover smoked meatloaf and put it onto my first batch of pulled pork which was exquisite. Thanks for the recipe!

Seems there's a lot of folks that need recipes for seasoning blends. Guess I'll have to add that to my downloads page. Most are pretty basic spices you probably use everyday.
icon_smile.gif

Getting ready to make of a batch of this Finishing sauce. For leftovers, when there is some
icon_confused.gif
is it necessary to reheat the finishing sauce for the butt meat?? Will the finishing sauce stay in the fridge for any length of time??

You may want to give Zatarain's Creole Seasoning a try since you haven't
been able to locate Tony ChaChere's. They're both very similar.

Sometimes Zatarain's is available when Tony's isn't.

Give it a try...I believe you'll both like it.

I use it in my 'Cajun Creole Pork Roast'. This roast will make you hurt
yourself it's so good!!

Like a buddy of mine says "It'll make ya wanna slap yer granny."

Hope this helps!

Until Later...

P.S. Wonderful!!...Now I wanna go smoke one just to try it!...Never tried doing this recipe on the smoker yet...
PDT_Armataz_01_10.gif

Smokeater:

As a fellow long islander I can tell you the supermarkets here don't carry Tony C's. Well at least the 3 stop and shops, 4 waldbaums and 2 king kullen's I checked didn't. I even tried some of the upscale groceries like wild by nature and trader joe's without luck. Never thought of Walmart.

You can also buy it online

http://www.tonychachere.com/

Chipotle Ketchup

http://www.ketchapeno.com/id2.html

i have my first butt seasoned..aka rubbed in my fridge waiting to be smoked in the morning..i think i will try this sauce...thanks i will keep you all posted

i know the answer is going to be "to taste" but I did a 4lbs butt today. I put the finish sauce on the table for people to add "to taste". everyone liked it so next time i want to go ahead and add it to the meat but I am afraid to add to much. Obviously the 1 cup of vinegar would be way to much. From my guess a good starting point would be about 2-3tsp per pound then adjust to taste. I have to start somewhere.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky