FINISHING SAUCE (for Pulled Pork)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Joe, it's one of those things that wasn't very funny then but I can laugh about it now. :D Glad you gotta a laugh out of it too.

oillogger, Smoking meats is holistic/natural but it sure takes alot to make a sore throat feel better. :D

OK newbie stupid question!

What is "pulled Pork" exactly?

Jeff,
If I just use a regular pork butt rub recipie and smoke it like a butt should be then add your finishing sauce that's that?? I am sorry for the dumb questions. I have only done one pork butt and it was with Buckboard Bacon. So now I want to do one regular.

Thanks,
MDK

MDK, pulled pork is a butt slow cooked up to about 200° then cooled for an hour or two and pulled into pieces like this:

After it is pulled is when you want to add the finishing sauce. Hope this helps. There are several threads in the Pork section about smoking butts, but if you need more info ask away.

SoFlaQuer, FYI I made about 10 lbs. of PP and the finishing sauce a couple days ago and as usual took it to the next level. Thanks for sharing.

Now, what's it gonna take to get the matching rub recipes outta you?? :P

Nice photo, Ultra! Glad you enjoyed the sauce!

MDK, when hand pulling the Butt, be sure not to tear it into small little pieces. You want pretty good chunks (but not too big) in your tray. I've seen pulled pork that resembled Cole Slaw! Not Good!

I've not yet released my Pork Rub, Ultra, because I don't want to step on Jeff Phillips toes with the rub he sells.

Jeff

SoFlaQuer,
Thanks for the advice!! I did a Pork Butt in a Bacon Cure and am now ready to do one regular. I will definately use your finishing sauce. I really could use your rub recipe though............Do you recommend a certain Q sauce?

Ultra,
Thanks for the info. I hate asking stupid questions but I have to start somewhere. I cannot wait to smoke again.

MDK

MDK,

Sauce is a personal taste. At my big bashes I usually lay out 3 kinds - Hot, Sweet and my Carolina Mustard Sauce (Recipe is a "Sticky" in the Sauce section of the forum). Regardless of what anyone tells you........DO NOT put 'Q sauce in the Pulled Pork pan and mix it together!!!! Finishing Sauce, yes!

Sauce should always be served as a side. The only exception to this is Ribs and that's if you want "sticky" ribs (again, it's a personal preferrence with ribs).

Those 3 usually cover most peoples taste - if it's you and the family serve what you like.

Jeff

MDK, there are no stupid questions at SMF! I'm of the mind if no one was asking questions it would be pretty boring here. This isn't one of the those type of forums with a bunch of self-important snobs sneering at the new guys and whining about using the search function everytime a question is asked again.

SoFlaQuer, I've already bought the other Jeff's rub recipe. Maybe you could PM that pork rub on over. ;) Ok, I'll stop now. :oops:

I made this last weekend. It was to die for! Thanks for the recipe. I have another 10 pounder on the smoker as we speak!

I agree Ultramag a good rub would compliment this very well! Where would a guy find one? LOL

Jeff,
you mention the key is not too much finishing sauce or it will get mushy. Give me a better feel for how much is too much. If you mix a batch ~1 cup of FS, do you use all of it on say a 10 lb butt??

Thanks

DaChief

First off.. welcome...Glad to have ya here...
There are two ways you can do this with the finishing sauce....just serve it on the side, and let everyone put as much or as little on their portion as they want...or ...after you have the pork pulled...just sprinkle it on and mix it a little at a time to get the taste and texture you want....and then have the remaining sauce on the side....ya can't take it back off if you put too much on all at once..you can't go wrong with Jeff's sauce...good stuff...
Later

Welcome DaChief. Glad to have another Floridian here. Let us know what you think after you try the sauce.
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif
BTW, I like your picture....
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Jeff,
I picked up a pair of butts today and plan on smoking them on Saturday morning. I definitely want to try your finishing sauce after reading this thread. Never heard of Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning - can it be bought at many supermarkets? Could it be substituted with anything else? Thanks so much for sharing!
Jim

SmokeEater..
You should be able to pick up some Tony's in the grocery stores...I find it in the A&P..Super food Mart....Shaws....Stop & Shop....even Wally World has it...good luck

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky