Finally Slicing my first Culatello di Prosciutto!!! (Feb. 2021)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
This Culatello was started at the same time as the Fiocco I just cut into. I learned a lot doing this piece; and even more along the way. I now know that initially, I was drying the piece too fast, and a constant temp. is not the best way to dry a Culatello. I did inadvertantly subject the Culatello to a summer fermentation when I pulled the piece to hang in a closet @60-67*F for a week or two when I needed more space in my drying chamber. Dumb luck I guess...though the piece was micro-biologically stable having lost 38% by that point.

Pulled from the chamber...43.52% weight loss. Initial weight was 5,000g.; final weight loss after 22 months drying was 2837g. (again some blue green mold likely late stage P. Nalgiovense or P. Salamii mold)
IMG_20221125_190352.jpg

cording removed, brushed clean with white wine, and trimmed...
IMG_20221125_195621.jpg

IMG_20221125_200134.jpg

IMG_20221125_195256.jpg

placed on a tri-folded small kitchen hand towel, then covered with a another medium kitchen dish towel and completely soaked with white wine. Left to soak for 2 days.
IMG_20221125_200345.jpg

The big reveal is tomorrow night! Got another day to soak but the smell is incredible! I hope it dried OK with me being new to this and all. This one did sit in a refrigerator when the power when off from hurricane Ida. No idea how that affected the piece. I also applied the sugna layer too thick...don't know how that will affect it either but lesson learned. Won't know until I slice it tomorrow and have a look see. Fingers crossed.......

Last edited:
HOLY SMOKE! The pic that has been brushed and trimmed is magnificent!
It is like a jewel shining in the night.
I think you will be more than pleased with the first taste upon your tongue.
WOW nice work!

Reactions: indaswamp
HOLY SMOKE! The pic that has been brushed and trimmed is magnificent!
It is like a jewel shining in the night.
I think you will be more than pleased with the first taste upon your tongue.
WOW nice work!
Thanks cutplug! I hope you are correct...will find out tonight!

Will be watching for the unveiling!
Stay tuned tbern!

Wowsers

Liking that bunches.

WTG.
Thanks Rick!

Well, the moment of truth...
IMG_20221127_215502.jpg

IMG_20221127_215522.jpg

IMG_20221127_215716.jpg

IMG_20221127_215742.jpg

IMG_20221127_215826.jpg

There is a faint dark center. this is likely due to applying the sugna layer either to soon or too thick, or both. This kept the center too wet for too long by slowing the drying down to much. It does not smell 'bad' just very musty.. not the right flavor reactions happening there. I did use cure #2 on this piece though. Also, when I cut the culatello off the ham, I cheated a little towards the fiocco side of the bone. This left a significant bone pocket when I trussed the culatello together. I now know that one of the 8 vertical strings is suppose to lay right over the bone pocket and the pressure from the weight of the piece pulls the string in to hold the casing tightly to prevent air pockets. I dunno if I had an air pocket thee or not though.

I did sample some of the outer edge of the culatello and the flavors are complex and intense. But the fat lacks the correct flavor profile from the pig having been fed incorrectly. So, while I did succeed in drying the piece, it is not the flavor profile I was hoping to achieve.

It was an invaluable experience though so not a total loss. OH- and the white areas that look like mold growth inside the ham are tyrosine amino acid crystals....one of the hallmarks of a culatello. These are the same crystals that form on Parmesan cheese.

I have the two pieces vacsealed. Don't know what exactly I will do with them as of now. I will be serving the fiocco on the board as the flavor is much better and it dried properly. I am looking forward to the Berkshire Culatello as it should be dried properly.

It's to bad that it didn't quite turn out as you hoped, but, as you stated, maybe you learned tricks for the next time!
It's so interesting following along with your projects and getting to see all that you can create with your talents!

It's to bad that it didn't quite turn out as you hoped, but, as you stated, maybe you learned tricks for the next time!
It's so interesting following along with your projects and getting to see all that you can create with your talents!
The next one should dry properly and have a better flavor....that pig was fed correctly. Just have to wait a little longer.......

22 months is almost as old as my grandson WOW. It looks really good to me, but this stuff is way over my head.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks good to me inda.......... I'd put that $h[t on everything.

I've seen some interesting salami recipes where they cube some already cured meats and use them as an ingredient, maybe that would be a way to treat some of it. Great learning experience at least...

22 months is almost as old as my grandson WOW. It looks really good to me, but this stuff is way over my head.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris.
Looks good to me inda.......... I'd put that $h[t on everything.
Thanks boykjo. I may be able to salvage to outer parts.

Damn I was pulling for you. But a great learning experience.
What if you continued to dry a piece?
The damage is already done. drying further won't correct it.
I've seen some interesting salami recipes where they cube some already cured meats and use them as an ingredient, maybe that would be a way to treat some of it. Great learning experience at least...
Thanks Loyd. I might try that. I do have a tortellini recipe I want to try...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky