Finally! FAST FOOD worth writing about!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2011
As a Pro Chef l have spent good money in a restaurant and came away knowing l could have done a better job. And Fast Food is just sustanence on the road or a quick meal that l don't have to cook...BUT...Today that all changed! We were an hour and a half away from home at supper time with McD's, Burger King, Wendy's and Arby's to chose from. All normally marginal at best. My daughter suggests Arby's as this was the closest to our house, 50 miles, and she has not gotten to eat there since our move 6 months ago. I was apprehesive since the last meal at Arby's, a Corned Beef Ruben, was pathetic and a huge waste of money. But she gave me the " But Daaaad, I really want Arby's..." And l gave in. I told my wife l wanted two sandwiches because they are always light on meat and never filling. When we arrived l looked at the menu and they had something called the Smoke Mountain Sandwich for a limited time. The picture on the menu looked good but the sandwich NEVER comes close. I said, what the heck and ordered One, as the meal with large fries, which are usually only half a box, and large drink, usually mostly ice, was $9.55. We get our food and Holy Smokes! What a meal! First off, the drink was mostly Mountain Dew! The fries were HOT crispy and Packed the container and the sandwich? Out of this world by any restaurant standard!!! The thing was piled high with meat to the point it almost looked like the menu. It felt all of the 10.5 ounces the nutrition label claimed. All the meat was Smoked! Actual smoke not just meat covered in a Liquid Smoke loaded sauce. Really a great meal to the point that l annoyed my wife repeating how great it tasted and l was actually stuffed eating one fast food sandwich! Worth getting one Gentlemen...JJ

Sorry l could not load a pic but...Here's the description with my comments...

SMOKE MOUNTAIN SANDWICH
– LIMITED TIME –
Crispy Onion Strings...Quite few, not two or three!
Pork Belly...2 Quarter inch thick slices!
Smoked Brisket...1/2" pile!
Smoked Cheddar Cheese...2 Slices!
Pit Smoked Ham...1/2" pile!
Smoky Q Sauce...Not too Sweet with good flavor.
Star Cut Bun...Soft but firm enough to hold the filling without falling apart!

Arby's description....
​This is the smokiest sandwich we’ve ever made. 13-hour Smoked brisket, pit-smoked ham, and smoked pork belly topped with smoked cheddar and smoky BBQ sauce. Finally, we top it all off with non- smoked crispy onions and smokeless bun. Because everything in moderation.

Last edited:
Reactions: fatbastard09
I've been seeing the Arby's tv ads about this sandwich and it looks good on tv. Like you my past experience with Arby's has not been good. Their roast beef was a pile of flavorless mush. On your recommendation I may have to give this one a try. I quit Arby's probably 5 years ago for the bad food and expensive price point. When I needed fast food I searched out Wendy's more for their Frosty than anything else!
biggrin.gif

I hope this was not a fluke and a shame it's for a limited time. I was really impressed and l agree, l have stayed away for a couple of years because of the crap they were calling beef. I will be back in Dubois on Thursday. I think l will get another to see if Arby's is serious about gaining market share with real deal Q...JJ

CJJ, I live in "podunk "northern NH where there are no fast food joints to speak of. Probably saves on my waist line ! The sammie does sound good though .

Gosh there is an Arby's right around the corner from me!

I'm going to have to check this out!

Thanks JJ!

Al

That's good to know if I'm in a pinch.

I cut out fast food about 12 years ago.  The horrible poor quality sponge bread they call buns and the imitation cheese simply make my digestion process feel horrible after eating.  The Jack n the Box sourdough bread burgers or any place that has a burger with a non-standard bun is usually what I go for the 1-2 times a year when I have no other choice but to grab some fast food.

Also I had a Waffle House double meat patty melt about a month ago and it was great!  Their patties are very thin so the double patty did it right and the bread was simply the bread from the bag they make toast from so no rubber foam sponge bun to be eaten lol.  I rarely eat there as well but at least it's all made to order and their hashbrowns are still awesome!

Three or four years ago, here in Sacramento, Arby's had that smoked brisket sandwich for a "limited time."  I don't know if that was a nationwide thing or we were a test market, but I ate my fair share of them at lunch.  I agree completely.  They are real! 

Sacramento, because it is isolated in the Central Valley of CA, is often a test market for everything from food to movies to commercials.  My wife and I play a game of trying to figure out what is real and what is a test run.  We saw a TV commercial last week while watching the Amgen Tour of California bike race on TV.  The commercial was for one of the liquid plumbers.  It showed people's butt cracks, saying everyone can be a plumber.  I haven't seen it again anywhere.  My wife and I cracked up laughing when we saw it and went "Test Run!"   

Every now and then, you come across a franchise that stands above all the others. In Burns Oregon, a small town in the middle of nowhere, is the best McDonalds I eaten at in 20 years. And I've eaten there a few times spread across a couple of years to confirm consistency. Go figure.

I've had the smoked brisket sandwich at a local Arby's and all it did was confirm my decision to stop eating there in the '90s. I'm glad there's still a good one out there!

I tried one of those a couple of weeks ago. Did not seem to be as good as the one you got. I thought it was good but not sure I would get it very often if it was part of their regular menu.

I'm convinced the quality of fast food depends on the owner/management, the level of training the kids get and how well supervised they are. This is valid across the spectrum. I have had a McD's Double Quarter Pounder at an outlet near my house that was delicious. A fresh bun and the meat was fresh made hot and juicy. Then I placed the same order at another stop on the road and the burgers were dry and obviously nuked to reheat before being placed on a stale bun.
Brett, sorry to hear your sandwich was less than great. It may be This Arby's as the order taker was extremely polite asking if we needed sauces and extra napkins and the manager poked his head out to thank us for coming, also uncommon customer service in a service industry...JJ

Jimmy, you inspired me.  I had to stop and get one while I was out today, it was the best thing going in fast food.  I too didn't get a pic, I ate it way too quick.  I bought a small pork belly at Sam's a week or so ago (first time I have seen them there), I was planning on making burnt ends out of it but now I might do some strips like this and put them on a brisket sandwich.  Need to finish my new smoker first...

I agree that different locations produce different results.  I also tried this sandwich and first go around it was awesome.  Just as JJ described.  tried it from another location and was good but not quite what I was expecting after the first one.  But worth a try as the first one was delicious. 

Three or four years ago, here in Sacramento, Arby's had that smoked brisket sandwich for a "limited time."  I don't know if that was a nationwide thing or we were a test market, but I ate my fair share of them at lunch.  I agree completely.  They are real! 

Sacramento, because it is isolated in the Central Valley of CA, is often a test market for everything from food to movies to commercials.  My wife and I play a game of trying to figure out what is real and what is a test run.  We saw a TV commercial last week while watching the Amgen Tour of California bike race on TV.  The commercial was for one of the liquid plumbers.  It showed people's butt cracks, saying everyone can be a plumber.  I haven't seen it again anywhere.  My wife and I cracked up laughing when we saw it and went "Test Run!"   

I saw that commercial today. Had to admit it surprised me but I laughed when I saw what it was for.

I tried one of those a couple of weeks ago. Did not seem to be as good as the one you got. I thought it was good but not sure I would get it very often if it was part of their regular menu.

I'm convinced the quality of fast food depends on the owner/management, the level of training the kids get and how well supervised they are. This is valid across the spectrum. I have had a McD's Double Quarter Pounder at an outlet near my house that was delicious. A fresh bun and the meat was fresh made hot and juicy. Then I placed the same order at another stop on the road and the burgers were dry and obviously nuked to reheat before being placed on a stale bun.
Brett, sorry to hear your sandwich was less than great. It may be This Arby's as the order taker was extremely polite asking if we needed sauces and extra napkins and the manager poked his head out to thank us for coming, also uncommon customer service in a service industry...JJ

You are right. I have several Arbys I could get to without going real far. Maybe I will try it again at one of the others

Last edited:
I saw that Sammy go by on my TV a couple days ago, so I backed up my DVR to get a closer look.

I told Mrs Bear to take a look, because It looks Awesome. Gotta wait until we get to Quakertown, because there's an Arby's right in my path.

Thanks for the Confirmation, Jimmy!!!

Bear

BTW: Here's the Picture I saw:

1024x557_SmokeMt_silo_tan.jpg

[h1]SMOKE MOUNTAIN SANDWICH[/h1]

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky