Fermenting Jalapeno's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have an 8 pack of fermenting pickle pipe lids coming. 4 pickle pipe lids and 4 glass weights.

I use lids similar to pickle pipe. Same idea -silicon nipple with a tiny slit - but a different brand. They work great and are simple and easy to clean.

You can also just use the lids and bands with the band screwed on very loose and some weight on top of the lid. That will keep is sealed until pressure builds inside enough to burp the lid.

I have a lot of green chilies. Been looking at fermenting
I usually can a batch of vinegar brine dilly (green) beans, but work got in the way this year.
Fermenting sounds a viable option.
Details please.

We had a bumper crop this year - I was pulling fistfuls off the plants every day for a few months. I ended up fermenting only 4 quarts - since they need to be refrigerated after fermentation, you need to be sure you have enough space to store them.

Not sure what details you are looking for. If you've never fermented, then you'll need to get familiar with the basics. If just the recipe you are looking for, I used the same as I do for cukes. I use 24 oz wide mouth jars because they are tall and work well for beans. For each jar:

1.5 tbls Pickling spice
1/2 tsp dill seed
500 grams pure water
17 grams sea salt (3.5%)
1 medium clove garlic (optional)
1/8 tsp calcium chloride

The calcium chloride is what pickle crisp is made from. Not sure if really needed for beans, but I use in my cuke brine.

We had a bumper crop this year - I was pulling fistfuls off the plants every day for a few months. I ended up fermenting only 4 quarts - since they need to be refrigerated after fermentation, you need to be sure you have enough space to store them.

Not sure what details you are looking for. If you've never fermented, then you'll need to get familiar with the basics. If just the recipe you are looking for, I used the same as I do for cukes. I use 24 oz wide mouth jars because they are tall and work well for beans. For each jar:

1.5 tbls Pickling spice
1/2 tsp dill seed
500 grams pure water
17 grams sea salt (3.5%)
1 medium clove garlic (optional)
1/8 tsp calcium chloride

The calcium chloride is what pickle crisp is made from. Not sure if really needed for beans, but I use in my cuke brine.
Previously only fermented cabbage into sauerkraut, a crock. (Not a crock pot, a Red Wing Crock.) It was canned after the bacteria was finished for shelf life.

I use the tall wide mouth for dilly beans, too.
I will try fermenting then canning on dilly beans, next year.
Hopefully, the beans won't be producing during wheat harvest as this year.

Reactions: Will Squared
I've never canned fermented veggies cause it kills the probiotics, but probably should just to have some during the winter. With the pH being as low as it is, do you need to pressure can or can you use a water bath?

I've never canned fermented veggies cause it kills the probiotics, but probably should just to have some during the winter. With the pH being as low as it is, do you need to pressure can or can you use a water bath?
Water bath but it was an old recipe that worked.
Unless using a proven recipe for water bath, use a pressure can
To be sure with beans, I'd pressure can.

I went to Walmart today looking for jars my wife was seeing online in stock for our store... the shelves were bare.
I asked an Associate to help me find them. She went in the back room for about 20 minutes then can back with 2 cases of 16 oz small mouth. I told her I wanted 3 more cases. She took me into the back and it was insane ! Merchandise was jammed in tight.
She had to dig here way in past 3 layers of palleted good to unload the jars!
A whole pallet of jars !

I went to Walmart today looking for jars my wife was seeing online in stock for our store... the shelves were bare.
I asked an Associate to help me find them. She went in the back room for about 20 minutes then can back with 2 cases of 16 oz small mouth. I told her I wanted 3 more cases. She took me into the back and it was insane ! Merchandise was jammed in tight.
She had to dig here way in past 3 layers of palleted good to unload the jars!
A whole pallet of jars !
The canning jars of all makes are scarce. Even bread machines.

The jalapenos at 5 days.

With fermenting certain types of veggies you only use pure salt. Yes you can add pickling spice or other things. The salt works on the enzymes in the veggie to produce lactic acid. You will see some bubbles and when opened you will see it fizzing. DO NOT USE ANY BACTOFERM

You see the cloudy brine above the glass weight, thats normal.
Going with 2 more days.
IMG_7216.JPG

Getting there. How much longer?

Jars and bread machine shortage was caused by the virus. People staying home and shortage in stores. More people raised a garden this year as well as making bread.

Warren

Going 2 more days with the fermenting.

I see bread machines online but im one of them guys who want it now so i can get busy with it.
Rural King has pallets of canning jars (one the other brands) in small mouth and qt large mouth, i need to go get some tomorrow.

The recpie book i have has fermented salsa. looks to be just for 1 jar. 2-3 days ferment.
Going to research further into the salsa.

Thanks for the like Will Squared it is appreciated.

Warren
It is my pleasure Warren.

Wife and I are on the learning curve about fermentation.
There is so much I need to learn.
I am going to get a load of Red Ghost and am wondering about making it into a mash...
... and how long a mash can remain viable.
Loads of Habaneros now.
Poblanos and Anaheims are coming on, too.
Going to have hundreds of Tabasco.

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Off with the fermenting lids and weights.
Good no mold.
IMG_7682.JPG

HOLY $!@*

They got hotter

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky