Felt like some steakums!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeyedude

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 5, 2018
Did up some steakum sammiches with cheese, unyuns and green peppers! Oh and the best sweet corn I've experienced this season!
20230826_184816.jpg

20230826_191140.jpg

20230826_191817.jpg

20230826_191843.jpg

20230826_194449.jpg

Steakumms is a bit of an acquired taste. Last time I bought a box - which was probably more than a year ago, I looked at the ingredient list. Just beef. But it's an odd flavor IMO. Not necessarily bad, but when I eat a steak or some roast beef, - it has a different flavor completely.

Reactions: JLeonard and LanceR
We find that the "chopped and formed" sandwich steaks can indeed taste a bit off and generally lack any distinct beefiness. And many, if not all brands, have a lot of water that cooks out of them so we pay premium prices for water added to the product.

Once or twice a year I buy the least expensive utility grade ribeye(s) I can find, usually at the Restaurant Depot, to shave my own sandwich steaks. I cut it in halves or thirds and pop them into the freezer until they are at what the food service industry sometimes calls "the frost crust stage" and then shave them with a freshly sharpened long slicing blade.

We find that 6 ounces per 6-7" hoagie roll makes for a really good sandwich so we vacuum pack it in 12 ounces pouches. And we use a technique I first saw on America's Test Kitchen of putting the cheese on the steak while it's still on the griddle and, when the cheese is melted or at least softened, thoroughly mixing the seared seasoned beef with the cheese before filling the roll. That way there's cheese in every bite.

We also usually add sauteed onions and mushrooms to the beef while cooking it. For seasoning we use a modification of a Montreal Steak Seasoning recipe my wife blends that has a lot less salt than the commercial blends do.

Lastly, a good smear of mayo on the roll helps "waterproof" it from the juices in the beef mixture and reduces the chances of a disintegrating sandwich.....

Even if you have to wait for the holiday season sales on rib roasts or ribeye roasts to shave your sandwich steaks it will still be a lot less per pound than buying frozen sandwich steaks.

Best regards,

Reactions: JLeonard
There was a bar in Williston ND that served "steakums". Their version was beef trimmings batter dipped and deep fried.
I like what you did. I have a bag of trimmings in the freezer.

Reactions: Buckeyedude
Not a thing wrong with them!! I have eaten enough of those things to sink an aircraft carrier. As others have noted though, the flavor is just bit off from my perspective. As LanceR LanceR stated above, I tend to shave my own from whatever the most recent massive chunk of meat I got from CPB may be. The interesting part is that being able to purchase from them wholesale, I can use some of the best prime rib on the planet and spend less than the original items cost at the store. I too am in the camp of onions and peppers with the cheese mixed throughout.

Robert

Certified Piedmontese Beef. Basically the best beef on the planet. If you have a minute, read the history. It's an interesting read :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: LanceR
There was a bar in Williston ND that served "steakums". Their version was beef trimmings batter dipped and deep fried.
I like what you did. I have a bag of trimmings in the freezer.
That sounds pretty good!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky