Favorite meat to smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Munson

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 7, 2020
As a new member and relatively new smoker I thought it would be cool to see what folks favorite meat to smoke is.

So, whatcha got?

Reactions: JC in GB
As a new member and relatively new smoker I thought it would be cool to see what folks favorite meat to smoke is.

So, whatcha got?

Hi there and welcome!

Whatever is on sale, but I know you want a more specific answer hahaha.

I mean living in TX and growing up on it, I lean towards Brisket. The cost is also one of the highest to do and it is a looooong smoke.

A complete crowd pleaser for a good price that everyone loves is cured smoked whole chicken that I pull for pulled chicken. AMAZING flavor and eating.

Another personal favorite of mine that I actually don't do very often because again beef cost more than other meat is, Smoked Meatloaf where I make like 1 - 1.25 pound individual meat loaves (they shrink some) so everyone gets their own whole mini meatloaf!!!

Cost aside, and I can get a Prime whole packer style brisket at Costco for $3.49 a pound in IL, I love doing brisket. Spare ribs are great, but they are easy IMHO. People around here are impressed by brisket and I like the challenge of brisket in an offset stick burner.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJB05615
Cost aside, and I can get a Prime whole packer style brisket at Costco for $3.49 a pound in IL, I love doing brisket. Spare ribs are great, but they are easy IMHO. People around here are impressed by brisket and I like the challenge an offset stick burner.
Costco is where I get my prime brisket. Really an excellent price and tremendous quality. But I still prefer a butt.

Reactions: Displaced Texan
Costco is where I get my prime brisket. Really an excellent price and tremendous quality. But I still prefer a butt.
I haven't delved in to the butt yet. Sorry...not trying to be funny here. I tend to gravitate to Texas style, but I think pulled pork from a butt would be popular around here.

I haven't delved in to the butt yet. Sorry...not trying to be funny here. I tend to gravitate to Texas style, but I think pulled pork from a butt would be popular around here.

Hi there and welcome!

I do my Pork Butts (pulled pork) very Texas style. I season with Salt, Pepper, Onion, Garlic, and Paprika... no sugar. Very Texas Style seasoning. Throw in a little chili powder and a touch of ground cumin and that will be like Tex-Mex style.

Also I smoke the whole time unwrapped. The flavor on unwrapped brisket and pork butts gives me what I feel is a very Texas style bbq flavor ( I live in TX).
Finally I split the pork butts from the bottom (meat side not fat side) cutting upward until I hit the bone but the whole thing is still intact. This allows me to kind of butter fly the whole thing and season in there and spread out some for smoking. This allows for more smoke penetration deeper and into more meat, more surface area for bark, and more seasoning for that meat that normally gets none... all to me add very Texas style bbq flavor :)

Hi there and welcome!

I do my Pork Butts (pulled pork) very Texas style. I season with Salt, Pepper, Onion, Garlic, and Paprika... no sugar. Very Texas Style seasoning. Throw in a little chili powder and a touch of ground cumin and that will be like Tex-Mex style.

Also I smoke the whole time unwrapped. The flavor on unwrapped brisket and pork butts gives me what I feel is a very Texas style bbq flavor ( I live in TX).
Finally I split the pork butts from the bottom (meat side not fat side) cutting upward until I hit the bone but the whole thing is still intact. This allows me to kind of butter fly the whole thing and season in there and spread out some for smoking. This allows for more smoke penetration deeper and into more meat, more surface area for bark, and more seasoning for that meat that normally gets none... all to me add very Texas style bbq flavor :)

Thanks for the welcome!

My apologies, I should have stated that better. Not Texas style but rather what is prevalent in Texas. I grew up in Fort Worth. Never heard of pulled pork until later in life. Definitely can do it in a Texas style, I agree. When I do try it out, I will do it like you said, or just salt and pepper. maybe a tad of paprika for color.

Reactions: tallbm
While I like to do briskets, I do far more pork butts than I do briskets, so I'm going with pork butts. Another favorite when I'm working around the house is smoking Spam. A box of Triskets, some smoked cheese, a little mustard and some smoked Spam and a beer or two = a meal made in heaven.

I don't think I really have a favorite. For me, easiest are butts, brisket points, spares, and whole poultry of any size.

Most satisfying to eat, by far, is a packer brisket. It's so rich, though, I try to only do 2-4 a year. Just finished the last vac-sealed frozen leftovers from a Sept smoke this past week. Sooooo good.

Wait! Got it! Favorite meat to smoke is beef short ribs, but not the boneless ones. I buy the whole vac pak, slice 'em up, throw the meatiest ones on the smoker and use the skimpier ones for soup. Going shopping this weekend. Short ribs just went on the list.

Reactions: MJB05615
Welcome from Ga. My favorite to cook is Brisket, when it comes out right, it's the most satisfying. Spare Ribs are second favorite, and much easier.

Reactions: Displaced Texan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky