Favorite meat to smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Below is my post on it with all kinds of pics and info.

In short, you have the fat side of a pork butt and the meat side of the pork butt.
View attachment 471019
View attachment 471020

From the meat side, position the butt like the immediate image above. Cut a slice into the middle of the pork butt starting at the top and go to the bottom. (top of picture to bottom of picture)
Cut into the butt until the knife hits the bone then keep the whole cut about that deep. It's not a super precise cut or anything.
The whole goal is to hit the bone and have the cut where you can butterfly out the meat enough to season in there and set it on the rack somewhat butter flied.

When it is on the rack it is slightly buttered flied with seasoning all in there AND gives more surface area and the ability for the smoke to now penetrate that deep in and into the meat surrounding the split. If you didn't do this then all of that meat in there would likely get NO seasoning, bark, or smoke penetration or much flavor deep in there.
This approach solves those issues :)

Let me know if this helps :)

My full post below
VVVVVVVVVVVV
I sure do appreciate you taking the time to help me. Thanks tallbm

I'd say that Baby Back ribs and Boston Butt, are the 2 things I do most often. I also smoke a lot of whole chickens, salmon and steelhead trout, Another favorite is to get the post-St. Paddy's day corned beef on sale and smoke them into Pastrami

I like Boston Butts because they have never failed to please.

I didn't see anyone mention wieners. We do a couple dozen at a time and vacuum seal into smaller units for the freezer. Killer good and easy to have on hand for an omelet, wiener and cheese sandwich, kraut and smoked wieners is on another level as is a regular hot dog. Learned the wiener rule somewhere here is 2 hours smoke at 200 degrees, don't let them get too hot and start to shrink. I use lots of my own rub.

Reactions: MJB05615
I'm going with chicken thighs. Covers all the bases: always quick, cheap, and tasty.
Pork butt never disappoints...and always cheap and tasty, but a day's work to get there.
And you can't beat the taste of a good beef brisket, but if you mess up, you're out a day and a fair sum of money.

Welcome from San Jose, CA.

Prefer Costco USDA Prime Brisket

Welcome to the forum! I hunt the reduced meat section at the grocer unless I'm doing a specific cook.
Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky