Favorite Brisket Trimming Knife

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tex2az11

Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
I am looking for a good trimming knife for brisket. tired of using kitchen knives. Looking for something under $50. Figured I'd get the best reviews here!

I love my good old fashioned fillet knife. 25 bucks at wally world. I use it for almost all of my meat cutting. I just tune it up on my steel before I start.

I use this one:

I'm sure there are better ones out there, but this does the job for me. Love the reactions whipping this bad larry out of the drawer too, people think i'm wielding a katana.

IMG_20171210_112603.jpg

You don't use a slice or carving knife for trimming up a brisket.
Lol

lol I already have a very nice slicing knife. Only thing I asked for this year from santa. I appreciate the responses!

I use a large Breaking Knife that came with my knife set. Breaking knives are for breaking down big cuts of meat and being such a large knife makes it easy to span the size of a brisket when I trim it :)

Here's a Victorinox brand 10" Breaking Knife for $36. They are a well known brand and having a breaking knife is nice!

Reactions: grubby64
There is a company that my dad did business with, bought his smokehouses from, his ham netting, etc. from:

https://www.bunzlpd.com/

Koch smokehouse.jpeg

(from 1946 Koch catalog that my dad had)

...of which I modeled my smokehouse from:

smokehouse open.jpeg

If you're on facebook, get to know Dawn Wollesen, she is the rep for them and is fantastically helpful!

Reactions: TulsaJeff
Trimming, it’s my Rapala 11” filet knife. (Birch handle, leather sheath, Canadian 1980’s provenance)

Slicing, it’s the Magic Chef 14” electric knife we got for our wedding.

Last edited:
6" filet knife here, Victorinox is my favorite cheap knife even though there not real cheap lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky