Favorite Brisket Trimming Knife

Discussion in 'Slicers, Grinders, Tools, Equipment' started by tex2az11, Jan 11, 2018.

1. tex2az11

tex2az11 Newbie

I am looking for a good trimming knife for brisket. tired of using kitchen knives. Looking for something under $50. Figured I'd get the best reviews here!

2. Rings Я Us

Rings Я Us Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  3. oddegan

oddegan Smoke Blower

I love my good old fashioned fillet knife. 25 bucks at wally world. I use it for almost all of my meat cutting. I just tune it up on my steel before I start.

4. I use this one:

I'm sure there are better ones out there, but this does the job for me. Love the reactions whipping this bad larry out of the drawer too, people think i'm wielding a katana.

5. I like an old Rada R111 "Ham Slicer" my wife bought years ago. It great for trimming and slicing brisket. And as my grandfather would tell me in Italian it's "a buon mercato" at $11.60.

Attached Files:

6. Rings Я Us

Rings Я Us Master of the Pit Group Lead SMF Premier Member

IMG_20171210_112603.jpg

You don't use a slice or carving knife for trimming up a brisket.
    Lol

7. tex2az11

tex2az11 Newbie

lol I already have a very nice slicing knife. Only thing I asked for this year from santa. I appreciate the responses!

8. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

9. This thread got me thinking about the old Ginsu knife commercials.

10. ghostguy6

ghostguy6 Newbie

And I thought everyone around here was a professional.;)

[​IMG]

11. tallbm

tallbm Master of the Pit

I use a large Breaking Knife that came with my knife set. Breaking knives are for breaking down big cuts of meat and being such a large knife makes it easy to span the size of a brisket when I trim it :)

Here's a Victorinox brand 10" Breaking Knife for $36. They are a well known brand and having a breaking knife is nice!

12. smokeymose

smokeymose Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I use a plain stiff blade filet knife (robbed from Dad's tackle box) to trim. A slicing knife is for slicing..

13. pops6927

pops6927 Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

There is a company that my dad did business with, bought his smokehouses from, his ham netting, etc. from:

https://www.bunzlpd.com/

Koch smokehouse.jpeg

(from 1946 Koch catalog that my dad had)

...of which I modeled my smokehouse from:

smokehouse open.jpeg

If you're on facebook, get to know Dawn Wollesen, she is the rep for them and is fantastically helpful!

TulsaJeff likes this.
  14. pops6927

pops6927 Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member