Father's day first fatty

Discussion in 'Fatties' started by saxyjaz, Jun 21, 2016.

1. saxyjaz

saxyjaz Newbie

I've learned so much reading the posts on here, thank you all! Thought I'd add how my first fatty went.

The wife asked what I wanted for Father's day dinner. I told her I wanted to roll and smoke a fatty. Of course she was a little concerned at first, but after explaining g further what I meant and that I was not asking to do anything illegal she calmed down.

[​IMG]
    All the ingredients ready to roll!

[​IMG]
    The meat mixture: 1 lb ground beef, 1 lb ground pork, onions, parsley, BBQ rub (Steven Raichlin's), worcestersire, 2 eggs, 1 Cup bread crumbs. Mixed up and spread in a 2 gallon ziploc

[​IMG]
    Spread Swiss cheese and mushrooms on top, then rolled it up and sent to refrigerator to refirm up.

[​IMG]
    Weaved the bacon

[​IMG]
    Rolled it all in saran wrap to form it into a better log, refrigerated overnight

[​IMG]
    Smoked it in the MES at 275 for 3 hours alternating hickory and Applewood chips. I was happy with the eye test so far. Let it rest for 20 minutes before slicing, it was a long 20 minutes.

[​IMG]
    First slice into heaven!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can say I will definitely be doing this again. So freaking delicious! I posted on Facebook and already have requests from friends and family to bring one to the 4th of July gatherings. I'll be happy to oblige.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

c farmer, canuck38, b-one and 6 others like this.
  2. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That looks perfect

3. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

First of many would be my guess!:drool

4. worktogthr

worktogthr Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Man, your first will be hard to top because it looks perfect! The bacon is beautifully cooked. Points for sure!!!

5. [​IMG]      [​IMG]

Randy

6. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

SJ, Excellent job on your first !

7. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Great job on your first try!

Looks like you have been doing these for years!!

Points!

Al

8. saxyjaz

saxyjaz Newbie

Thank you

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  9. saxyjaz

saxyjaz Newbie

For sure, this will be a regular for entertaining.

10. saxyjaz

saxyjaz Newbie

Thank you. I was surprised that at 275 the bacon got as crispy as it did, I might still try broiling or grilling next time to crisp it up a bit more, though I'll have to balance not over cooking.

11. saxyjaz

saxyjaz Newbie

Thanks for the points!

12. saxyjaz

saxyjaz Newbie

Thanks Al. Gotta say your posts and advice to others on here are so helpful. I'm loving this site for all the ideas and years of experience, it's great for a newbie like me. Thanks for the points.

13. uncle eddie

uncle eddie Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Can I be your friend?  

That looks awesome!

14. saxyjaz

saxyjaz Newbie

Uncle Eddie - you're welcome anytime - just bring beer!!! [​IMG]

15. sauced

sauced Master of the Pit

Wow...that looks amazing!!! Great job, for the first time!!

16. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Fabulous fatty, friend! My first one didn't look this good.

Points!

Disco

17. saxyjaz

saxyjaz Newbie

Thank you Disco - I was so pleased with this first attempt I just did a Triple Fatty Throw down for a 4th of July gathering this past weekend. 

all of you guys on here that have posted many many instructional threads are making this easy for a newbie like me to look good - so Thank you for putting your experience out there for everyone!

Saxyjaz

18. scooterjam

scooterjam Fire Starter

Damn, I like that rolling it Saran Wrap for a better shape and into the fridge......very nice.   Excellent sustenance there I'm telling ya!!!!!

19. What kind of internal temp should I be looking for?

20. uncle eddie

uncle eddie Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I go for 160 - my wife doesn't want to see pink, albeit fully cooked, burger.  Takes about 60 to 70 minutes at 225F.