Farm Ribeye

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dang, look at the birds!
Brings back a lot of memories from my teens, used to hunt Central California outside of Bakersfield, a place called Buttonwillow. Killed a lot of ducks there.

And that ribeye, that looks pretty darned tasty.
Gonna try the SV some day.

Thanks Chris I appreciate it. Helps big time to start with good meat!

Scotf

Thanks al! A lot of my buddies have gone instapot crazy the last few months. I bought a instapot/smoker a few years back and as much as I liked it I’m hooked on the sv!

Scott

Sonny,

Yeah losing them is tough...

You have to pat the meat dry or it won’t sear well. The butter or any other sauce/liquid you put in the bag will infuse into the meat to a certain extent. So it’s worth putting in.

After 4 hours on a steak the meat will start to turn mushy. It’s different on larger pieces of meat. I left a venison steak in for over 5 hours last year because i got busy and it was really getting mushy. Bad texture. I read up on it and found that 4 hours is the point on steaks where you should stop or you’ll start to notice texture change for the worse.

Scott

Reactions: SonnyE
Mighty Tasty looking Rib Steak there, Scott !!
My Son is busy Spoiling his 3rd Lab, but this one "Diesel" has Epilepsy.
Drugs have him down to about one short seizure per month.
Other than that he's fine---All Muscle @ 100 pounds, Chocolate Lab.
Nice Job on that Steak!
Like.

Bear

Appreciate it chili!

You should get a sv! You’d love it.

I’d love to hunt the west coast. Never been there.

Scott

Thanks bear.

Sorry to hear about your dog. Glad to hear the meds are helping!

Scott

Appreciate it disco! Losing a hunting trip due to weather is always tough. But your right the steaks did help soften the blow! Lol!

Scott

Warren,

Yeah I’m sure when they see the pics they are not gonna be happy! Lol!

Scott

Sonny,

Yeah losing them is tough...

You have to pat the meat dry or it won’t sear well. The butter or any other sauce/liquid you put in the bag will infuse into the meat to a certain extent. So it’s worth putting in.

After 4 hours on a steak the meat will start to turn mushy. It’s different on larger pieces of meat. I left a venison steak in for over 5 hours last year because i got busy and it was really getting mushy. Bad texture. I read up on it and found that 4 hours is the point on steaks where you should stop or you’ll start to notice texture change for the worse.

Scott

Yep. An old softy like me cry's like a baby over losing one of my Best Friends. But I remember every dog I ever loved, and every one who shared their lives with mine. No Greater Friend can be found!

Thanks. I'm not much for steaks anymore with the ticker issues. I've done two pieces of my Smoked Salmon, which is cured and smoked so not judge worthy, really. Basically reheated I guess.
But the second one I bathed for 12 hours at 145 degrees F. Then ate with some scrambled eggs. It was good in spite of my clownin around. Only thing I could say was the thinner end was a bit harder. But I think that was done before the Sous Vide.

Yesterday I did a piece of Pork Loin. 3 hours at 160 degrees. But my vacuum sealer heater strip took a dump, so I Sous Bagged my Pork Loin. Just SPOG and some butter.
Forgive me, but I didn't want to wipe off my SPOG and Butter drying it. So I seared it with my soldering torch till it looked good. I called it a Flame Painted a California spray on tan if you will... :emoji_laughing:
And put some brown gravy on the slices. I really enjoyed it. So did my little buddy. He kept coming back for more of what Dad was having.
The wife ate an Atkins earlier, and isn't a big fan of Pork. But she said it smelled really good.
So between her and the dog, I'd say I won.
No Bourbon or Cigar, but I polished off several 12 ounce kegs of Beer afterwards...

I still want to do a steak Sous Vide, just nobody tell my Doctor I did it. :emoji_blush:

Picked up a little bourbon on this cold TN night. Gotta stay warm right?
upload_2019-1-21_22-25-23.jpeg

Reactions: Hawging It
Meat looks great. Looks like a good day at the duck blind. (a couple of pics of my hunt in the marsh off the White River in Arkansas. Bout 30 miles from Stuttgart )

DUCK 1.JPG
DUCK 2.JPG

Smoked duck coming soon?

Warren
I don't smoke mine. I do mine redneck style. Wood ducks are the best in my view. They eat mainly acorns. Take the 2 sides of the breast and marinate in straight Dales's marinade in a gallon baggie with Tony's Chach. seasoning. Only leave in about 15 minuites as the Dale's is strong. Build charcoal fire and cook like steaks. It doesn't take long. People tend to over cook duck. Needs to still be ever so slightly pink in the middle. Get 2 slices of light bread and add mustard and black pepper. Now you have just made the best way to eat wild wood duck, redneck style. That's the only way I like them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky