Farm Ribeye

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hillbillyrkstr

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 11, 2013
i bought a few ribeyes from my buddy (beef & pork farmer) down the road back in November for a hunting trip me and a few guys were going on. Well the weather took a turn for the worse and the morning we were set to leave I got the cancellation call....

HUGE BUMMER! We were set to shoot waterfowl all day up on the bay.and stay up in a cabin that night smoking cigars, drinking bourbon, and grilling steaks. Kurt (@chocdog) isn’t gonna be happy when he sees this. He was pretty upset about this trip being cancelled last minute.

This unfortunate cancellation left me with 3 fantastic looking ribeye steaks! Farm to table style! Milk and grain fed, non gmo, top of the line beef!

949E1444-DC09-49DB-8BFB-D051293C8949.jpeg

I had all the steaks seasoned up with a little Dales, some salt, pepper, and rosemary. I froze them back in November and pulled one out the other day.

Side note: If you don’t know what Dales is, figure it out cause your missing out. I preach this a lot cause I right about it.

05C6A5B2-DE1D-464E-A82E-BF05D37268D1.jpeg

Perfectly seared in the new pans I bought the wife for Christmas. I was going to get her a subway gift card so she could take a few days off making me sandwiches for lunch but my buddies said that’d be a bad idea. Pans were the next logical gift.

5C5C455F-32FB-4954-94DE-F66F290F5818.jpeg

Perfectly cooked 135 ribeye steak. One hour in the sv and pure magic.

Side note: the steak was sizable so the potato, and green beans had a separate plate. I didn’t take a picture of them because quite frankly they didn’t deserve it.

4B69846E-8D78-43B0-A05F-384CFBF75984.jpeg

Anyone who knows me knows I’m a bourbon guy and a big believer in the “after dinner mint”. So tonight we have a frosty mug full of All Day IPA, and a glass of Maker’s Mark Private Select Summer 2018. Think its 110 proof.

Well nothing real special but just about the most perfect steak I’ve ever had. Figured I’d share for that reason.

Side note: the best steak I ever had was on a road trip years back and on our way to Dallas we stopped at a steak joint Grill Tulsa Oklahoma. Can’t remember the name of the place but it was In a strip mall and I didn’t think it’d be to fancy. We walked in at 9 o’clock at night and everyone stared at us. We T-shirt, and jeaned it after driving all day and being smoked. The waiter was pretty cool about us looking like bums, and brought me the best ribeye I’ve ever had bar none.

Anyway that’s it. Nothing special just another ribeye.

Scott

Man that looks great! Points on the cook. Funny you say that about dales I use it all the time but never see anyone on here mention it.

Good looking bourbon too. I’m sipping on some double oak twice barreled beam as we speak.

Thats awesome coach! I’m taking one of my dogs Scout down to Arkansas next week for a hunt.

2B1B28CA-EE15-4CC6-9B78-F08D737DD878.png

We did pretty well last year with my black lab Hooper the Wonder Dog.

Appreciate it scott. Kreeger beef is tops around here. Smoking a cigar at the farm now.

799E1F1B-896E-47A0-A5D1-09B7EC098F8A.jpeg

Co4ch,

Tons of pintails, mallards, green winds, and blue jays. Dozen or so specks. It’s worth the trip for sure. Let me know if you want the outfitters name. He’s a great guy. He Bought a dog off one of the guys I train with. Real awesome dog.

Scott

Rocky top smokinvol!

That’s one beam I don’t mind. Other one is devils cut. All the others are mixers to me.

Scott

Wait a damned minute here!
Where is the dogs share!
"I get all wet, in freezing water, feathers in my mouth, no bourbon, no beer, no steak. I need to talk to my BARK rep about this job!"
:emoji_laughing:

Looks really Great Scott! (Great Scott... that's what Perry White use to say on Superman!)
Lookie here, I just got a new Sous Vide cooker thingamajigger. I need to know ALL the particulars on this.
My wife just can not understand cookin steak in hot water. But she'll come around. Even if I have to get the meat myself.
So far, I've only done some Salmon, twice. And she was bitc.... complaining about the fish smell of the first time. :emoji_person_frowning:(She wasn't here for the Smoked Salmon and Eggs this morning.) :emoji_tongue:
(Which I shared a bit with my dog. He's a bird dog, of sorts. He barks at any crows that come around. All I ever asked was he be my early warning system.) :emoji_grin:

So, you get the Sous Vide to 135 degrees, then put the vacuum bagged steak in the water for only 1 hour? Then... pan sear it?
Was the steak at room temperature, or cold from the fridge when it goes in the bath?
I'm gonna copy you, ya know. Well, except the cigar, and I prefer Gentlemen Jack. Markers Mark is great, no doubt. I just prefer GJ for sippin.

Oh, and I just remembered, my vacuum sealer took a dump the other night. Heater strip died.
Fratzen Ratzen, Ratzen Fratzen....

Reactions: hillbillyrkstr
Lmao sonny!!!

The dogs get more than I care to talk about. And sleep in bed with us. So yeah they’re spoiled round here.

Yeah if you like medium rare steak put your vacuum sealed, seasoned steak in at 135 right outta the fridge or room temp in for and hour. It can sit in the bath up to 4 hours before texture begins to change.

When you pull it out make sure to pat it dry with paper towels (meat needs to be dry to sear) and hit it on each side for about a minute on the grill or in a hot pan, and you’ll have the best steak you can hope to make.

Enjoy your sv sir!!!

Scott

Sonny you can use ziplock bags as well.
I don’t prefer it but I have used this method before.

Lmao sonny!!!

The dogs get more than I care to talk about. And sleep in bed with us. So yeah they’re spoiled round here.

Yeah if you like medium rare steak put your vacuum sealed, seasoned steak in at 135 right outta the fridge or room temp in for and hour. It can sit in the bath up to 4 hours before texture begins to change.

When you pull it out make sure to pat it dry with paper towels (meat needs to be dry to sear) and hit it on each side for about a minute on the grill or in a hot pan, and you’ll have the best steak you can hope to make.

Enjoy your sv sir!!!

Scott

We use to have 3. All of them slept on the bed with us. Love them! Nothing on Earth is as faithful as a dog is. So I always made sure they got some "people food". Now down to one. Wife sez no more, too painful to lose them.
The DIL sez to their dog, "Mimi, you want to go to Doggy Disneyland?" when she is coming over for a stay. Because in my house, Dogs are equal. At home tiny Mimi can't get on the furniture. So I sit on the floor for her sake. She loves to curl up in my lap.

So after 4 hours, the texture changes? Like softening? Or toughening?

If you pat it dry, doesn't that steal the butter off of it. Sak Ra Blu!
So much to learn! So little meat!
I'm gonna go for it.
(Well, maybe Monday. I hate to go out anywhere on the weekends. Too many brain-dead gerbils out of their cubicles around here. So us old fogies can wait until a weekday to venture out.)

That's a great looking ribeye Scott, Mega point on that one.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky