Fancy Wood Products. (Bear Jr)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well i have to say, he is refining them very well. And 3rd gen. woodworker, very nice . And he at least had the knowledge from family to gather from, just knowing the tools ,how to use and the skills to cary on with them
Well done
Tried to get my son to work with me , not his thing, Too early to get up and carpentry is not always a clean job. At least thats what i think he thinks. But he does like to cook . At least he took that part of my life, lol

David

I see you listed Carpenter for yourself, David!!
My Dad came back from WW2, and instead of going back to Beth Steel, he got started in Carpentry, and was a Self-Employed Carpenter until he retired at 70 years old.
I worked for him on weekends & Summers, and went to Tech School for Cabinetmaking. Then I went to Bethlehem Steel for 20 years (With a 3 year Break in the Army & a Trip to Vietnam in there too), until my shop shut down. Then I started helping an old Buddy of mine in his Cabinet Shop for 10 years, until I started my own Cabinet Shop for another 10 years. I shut my shop down to help Bear Jr with his Tower Corp. I expected him to go into Woodworking, because he went to the same Tech School as I did, and was the first second generation student who went there. He received the #1 Cabinetmaking Award from the Tech School.
So after 20 years with his own Tower Business, now he gets back into Woodworking, but he doesn't have the pressure, because his Tower Biz carries him. Woodworking is a lot more Fun when you don't have to make a living doing it. Which brings us to where we are now.

Bear

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Yes that's a nice history of the family in wood working. Good for him to go with it as far as he is . And to enjoy the hard work he did with his business so now he can play/enjoy ( and i don't mean that badly ) with woodworking as an other hobby business. And he is great at it.
I do a lot of custom home renovations. Been doing it sense 1987 , on my own sense 1997. Building custom cabinets, desks , a lot of kitchen and bathroom renovations. Mostly build to the customers ideas. Its all fun , stressful and i really tired of all the paper work. This covid has really put a lot more pressure on the jobs , as MATERIAL is either hard to get in , or the price has gone through the roof.
I'm looking to retire in a couple - 10 years lol
David

Yes that's a nice history of the family in wood working. Good for him to go with it as far as he is . And to enjoy the hard work he did with his business so now he can play/enjoy ( and i don't mean that badly ) with woodworking as an other hobby business. And he is great at it.
I do a lot of custom home renovations. Been doing it sense 1987 , on my own sense 1997. Building custom cabinets, desks , a lot of kitchen and bathroom renovations. Mostly build to the customers ideas. Its all fun , stressful and i really tired of all the paper work. This covid has really put a lot more pressure on the jobs , as MATERIAL is either hard to get in , or the price has gone through the roof.
I'm looking to retire in a couple - 10 years lol
David

Yup--Bear Jr was just telling me the other day how the prices of Construction Lumber went nuts, but Hardwoods didn't change much. So he lucked out again. LOL.
BTW: I like your little place on the Water's edge. Looks like a Great place to relax!

Bear

Wow some great work there. Although he is a little smarter than dad he's not dragging heavy cabinets around all day.

Warren

LOL--Thanks Warren!!
But Bear Jr got stuck helping Dad with the big & Heavy Stuff:
Like when a delivery of 1500 Board Feet of Oak had to go down 17 steps to my basement shop, or 40 sheets of Oak Plywood. Or when we had to move my machines down there. Moving a 700 pound Planer down 17 steps wasn't much of a picnic.
My cabinets were lighter than most, because my all wood cabinets were a lot lighter than my competitor's Particle Board Junk.

Bear

Wow, those cheese boards look beautiful. I have a friend getting married in November, he is from Eastern PA - I think I know what he is getting as a wedding gift.

Thank You Kevin!!
Appreciate That.

Bear

BTW: I like your little place on the Water's edge. Looks like a Great place to relax!
Thank you , we bought it 2012 and i finished the inside ( i know Mona will still want to do things ) Moved the basement stairs to other end of house to make a bigger kitchen and living room so you can see the lake now for kitchen, added a 16' x 40' piece on. 2 porch roofs , rebuilt the wrap around deck, etc , etc. When i do settle down its by the lake fishing till dark than have a fire and maybe a hotdog and adult pop
DSC_0722.JPG DSC_1481.JPG
DSC_1517.JPG DSC_1504.JPG DSC_1493.JPG DSC_1478.JPG
Love my yard and gardens , and fishing in the lake The little fence at the bottom of the stairs is to keep the girls in ( dogs ), so the eagles don't come down and have Mexican food for supper

David

Thank you , we bought it 2012 and i finished the inside ( i know Mona will still want to do things ) Moved the basement stairs to other end of house to make a bigger kitchen and living room so you can see the lake now for kitchen, added a 16' x 40' piece on. 2 porch roofs , rebuilt the wrap around deck, etc , etc. When i do settle down its by the lake fishing till dark than have a fire and maybe a hotdog and adult pop
View attachment 494303View attachment 494304
View attachment 494306View attachment 494305View attachment 494310View attachment 494312
Love my yard and gardens , and fishing in the lake The little fence at the bottom of the stairs is to keep the girls in ( dogs ), so the eagles don't come down and have Mexican food for supper

David

Wow!!
That's really neat, David!!
Looks like a Great place to retire into!!
I was actually referring to a much smaller place, I think it used to be your Avatar.
I think it was One room, and had a Smokehouse Attached maybe??

Bear

I think it was One room, and had a Smokehouse Attached maybe??
Hi Bear , sorry about that . i was wondering how you might have seen my place as i happen to show it to olecrosseyes olecrosseyes in a conversation about Nova Scotia.
As for my aviator it has always been my little girl. Maybe it is just my Smokehouse that i built for my smoker
DSC_2133 - Copy.JPG DSC_2133 - Copy (2).JPG DSC_2256.JPG

is this what you mean, I call it Smokers Shack. Sorry about all the other pictures
David

Yup--Bear Jr was just telling me the other day how the prices of Construction Lumber went nuts, but Hardwoods didn't change much. So he lucked out again. LOL.

Bear

LOL--Thanks Warren!!
But Bear Jr got stuck helping Dad with the big & Heavy Stuff:
Like when a delivery of 1500 Board Feet of Oak had to go down 17 steps to my basement shop, or 40 sheets of Oak Plywood. Or when we had to move my machines down there. Moving a 700 pound Planer down 17 steps wasn't much of a picnic.
My cabinets were lighter than most, because my all wood cabinets were a lot lighter than my competitor's Particle Board Junk.

Bear

Ah in todays world that would be considered child abuse shame on you.

Warren

Hi Bear , sorry about that . i was wondering how you might have seen my place as i happen to show it to olecrosseyes olecrosseyes in a conversation about Nova Scotia.
As for my aviator it has always been my little girl. Maybe it is just my Smokehouse that i built for my smoker

is this what you mean, I call it Smokers Shack. Sorry about all the other pictures
David

Hi David!!
This is what I was referring to:

484923-ea179245e56b75281cbe6a7a8d8f6b6c.jpg

Bear

Hi Bear, yes now I know what you mean. That is the Bunk house that Mona asked me to build beside the lake. It is totally set up to stay in all but running water. Bunk beds , table with the crib board and cards at window looking over the lake. I love all things Western so that's why i built it like that with the false roof face. There is a hitching post with a saddle on it off to the side. "Mozie-on-Inn "
DSCF0564.JPG
David

And also Bear, thank you for the like

Reactions: Bearcarver
Hi Bear, yes now I know what you mean. That is the Bunk house that Mona asked me to build beside the lake. It is totally set up to stay in all but running water. Bunk beds , table with the crib board and cards at window looking over the lake. I love all things Western so that's why i built it like that with the false roof face. There is a hitching post with a saddle on it off to the side. "Mozie-on-Inn "
View attachment 494516
David

And also Bear, thank you for the like

That would be perfect for a Cabin on PA State land, in the Pocono Mts.
We had a place My Dad had built a few years after WW2. It was quite a bit bigger, but it was only one big Room, with a Pot Bellied Coal Stove, and no running water.
We had an Outhouse & we carried our water from the Nearby Springs. It was right in the middle of some Great Pike County State Forest, and right near a mess of Great Trout Streams, including Saw Creek & Red Rock Run that were within walking distance of the Cabin. We used it a lot when I was small until I went in the Army. Then we gradually got too busy, and had other things to do, and eventually it was sold. It was a lot of fun for us Kids, for a lot of years though. We had had a 100 year lease on the land, and only had to pay taxes, which were hardly anything.

Bear

Last edited:
It was a lot of fun for us Kids, for a lot of years though. We had had a 100 year lease on the land,
That's nice Bear to have those memories , its things like that , that really stick in our minds as we get older. Nice to look back at times as a kid when it was so much simpler . Get up do some chores and than just kick around and find things to do outside. Because it was fun and mom did not want you around the house :) .
Nice to be able to use the land , and just have to pay the taxes.
I grew up in a small city Dartmouth, but spent every summer all summer in the country with my Grandfather on their Dairy farm. Around all my cousins, fishing ,swimming and just having fun. ..... now song playing in my head " those were the days my friend " ha ha

David

Reactions: Bearcarver
This is what I was referring to:
DSC_0540.JPG

Picture of the Bunk house from the back deck .

My wife is a bit of a Nut Ball, i bought her this Buck Decoy from Bass Pro, because she wanted it . She moves it around the yard all the time . It catches me off guard all the time . And i have seen people going by in their pontoon boats and make a big circle and come back thinking it is real.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky