Fall Prime Rib

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I rarely get a prime rib. They just cost too much. However, I was in the supermarket and they had them on sale. I pried my wallet open and went for it!

I started by making six slits in the top of the roast. I slivered a garlic clove and pushed the slices into the slits.

Fall Prime Rib 01.jpg

I gave the roast a generous rub with Traeger's Prime Rib Rub. I put a carrot cut in chunks, a celery stalk cut in chunks, and half an onion cut in chunks in a roast pan. I poured 500 ml (2 cups) beef stock over the vegetables. I put a rack over the pan. I put the roast on the rack.

I put the pan in my Traeger Timberline which was preheated to 350 F.

Fall Prime Rib 03.jpg

I cooked the roast to an internal temperature of 125 F. My 1.5 kg (3 pound) roast took about 1 hour 15 minutes.

I brought the roast inside, put it on a cutting board and tented with foil.

Fall Prime Rib 04.jpg

I took the liquid out of the pan and defatted it, reserving the vegetables in a saucepan. I added 25 ml (2 tablespoons) of red wine and 15 ml (1 tablespoon) Worcestershire sauce to the liquid. I added water to bring the liquid up to 500 ml (2 cups).

I poured the water over the vegetables and brought it to a boil. I reduced heat and simmered for 5 minutes.

Fall Prime Rib 05.jpg

I strained the liquid off the vegetables. At this point, I would just use the liquid as an au jus to pour over the beef and potatoes. However, I was informed by a higher power, that there would be gravy.

I melted 50 ml (1/4 cup) of butter in a saucepan and stirred in 50 ml (1/4 cup) of flour to make a roux. I added the au jus and stirred for a few minutes to thicken and cook out the flour.

Fall Prime Rib 06.jpg

I cut the bones off the roast and sliced.

Fall Prime Rib 07.jpg

Fall Prime Rib 08.jpg

The Verdict

This was wonderful! I do love a prime rib and the Traeger does an excellent job on it. It is better with au jus rather than gravy but, again, I was assured that the gravy was better. I will admit it was tasty gravy.
Disco

Looks Great Disco!!
I like to slice one +1" slice for first meal. Then I slice the rest nice & thin for leftovers.
Makes it last longer & reheats easier.
Nice Job, Buddy!!
Like.

Bear

Looks Great Disco!!
I like to slice one +1" slice for first meal. Then I slice the rest nice & thin for leftovers.
Makes it last longer & reheats easier.
Nice Job, Buddy!!
Like.

Bear
Har! I can't afford a prime rib that big! Thanks for the like, Bear!

I like it! Nice meal disco! Did you at least sneak in a shot of the au jus before making the gravy??? Lol.

Looks delicious and perfectly cooked Disco! I also prefer Au Jus, but I also prefer sleeping indoors! LOL. We do Prime Rib 1-2 times a year, when they run it on sale. One ritual is we always have it on New Year's Day no matter what. Great work.

Looks fantastic Disco!
That is a delicious looking piece of meat!!
And a fine looking meal!
Al

Thanks, Al! I do love a good piece of beef!

Looks delicious and perfectly cooked Disco! I also prefer Au Jus, but I also prefer sleeping indoors! LOL. We do Prime Rib 1-2 times a year, when they run it on sale. One ritual is we always have it on New Year's Day no matter what. Great work.

Thanks. Prime rib on New Year's Day is a great way to bring in the new year. We already have a tradition of Peppered Salmon Filet on new year's day but you may have inspired me to bring Prime Rib into new year's eve!

That looks fantastic . Nice meal .

Thank you kind sir!

That looks great Disco! Haven't had any for too long. I sure love my gravy, but I'm with you even if you are wrong...love au jus with prime rib! Thankfully my wife thinks the same.

Nice job
Ryan

That looks great Disco! Haven't had any for too long. I sure love my gravy, but I'm with you even if you are wrong...love au jus with prime rib! Thankfully my wife thinks the same.

Nice job
Ryan

Well, it wasn't too much of a sacrifice to keep She Who Must Be Obeyed happy! Thanks, Ryan!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky