eye of round question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Hey All,

Safeway is having a b1go thin eye of round steaks. I tried to grill one a while ago as roast but wasn't any fat so I really didn't like it. Was my bad for trying to cook it and eat it like a roast. Are eye's good for anything besides jerky? I guess i can get the steaks slice em thin and try jerk in my new ninja LOL O.o thoughts?

I love eye of round for Mississippi pot roast for lack of fat, more meat. Ive also smoked it then sliced thin and on to (if you have one) flat top for sandwhiches. Look around here, there are lots of options. By this time tomorrow youll have about 15 options.

Reactions: negolien
Thanks, yeah I know sandwiches and jerky are go to's for the roasts bit i haven't heard many other uses for the thin cut steaks. I have been getting a lot of headaches lately, so I have been trying to avoid the scrolling thru searches for a bit. Appreciate the help :<).

Eyes, bottom and top round as well as mock tender chuck are all fine if only cooked to a rare-medium rare temp. 125-135F IT. Don’t cook these cuts above 135F. I have two pieces of bottom round in the sous vide right now set at 135. Will run 24hrs. The SV was made for tough cuts. These will be poor man’s prime rib and we will eat thin sliced and French dip style. Delicious.

I use thin sliced bottom rounds for broccoli beef. I add meat tenderizer to the marinade to soften them. Top Round would work fine, too.

Beef and Broccoli - Ray's Way

This is a recipe concocted from two different channels on YouTube. Result? FANTASTIC!!!

I found it easier to do all the prep a couple of hours ahead of meal time. Once cooking starts, it comes together quickly.

Recipe below is for six servings.

Marinade Ingredients
5 Tbs rice wine vinegar
3 Tbs light soy sauce
2 Tbs cornstarch
1 ½ tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp Adolph's Meat Tenderizer
1 tsp baking soda

Main Ingredients
2 ½ - 3 lbs beef, sliced thin against the grain (tri tip or thin sliced bottom round/carne asada beef works great)
1 bag broccoli crowns
4 Tbs oil
3 large carrots, quartered and chopped
1 onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
3 Tbs fresh ginger, chopped

Sauce Ingredients
5 Tbs light soy sauce
5 Tbs oyster sauce (hoisin sauce would work, too)
¾ cup water
3 Tbs cornstarch
3 Tbs sugar
1 ½ Tbs black pepper

Directions
Preparation: Mix the marinade ingredients and set aside.

Thinly slice the beef against the grain.

Pour the marinade over the beef, mix well with a spoon, then set aside or cover and refrigerate for no more than a couple hours.

Make the Sauce and set aside.

Chop the garlic, ginger, onion, and carrot. Set aside in one bowl.

Add oil to a Dutch Oven and turn heat to med-high.

Add the chopped veggies. Stir for a couple minutes.

Add the beef. Stir to mix with the veggies and brown for a couple minutes, stirring to even. It the pan is crowded, it may take a little longer, but don't fry the water out of the meat.

Add the broccoli to the top and cover. Do not stir. Steam for 8 minutes.

Add the sauce. The sauce will thicken in about a minute. Stir to coat everything.

Serve over rice.

Last edited:
I use thin sliced bottom rounds for broccoli beef. I add meat tenderizer to the marinade to soften them. Top Round would work fine, too.

Beef and Broccoli - Ray's Way

This is a recipe concocted from two different channels on YouTube. Result? FANTASTIC!!!

I found it easier to do all the prep a couple of hours ahead of meal time. Once cooking starts, it comes together quickly.

Recipe below is for six servings.

Marinade Ingredients
5 Tbs rice wine vinegar
3 Tbs light soy sauce
2 Tbs cornstarch
1 ½ tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp Adolph's Meat Tenderizer
1 tsp baking soda

Main Ingredients
2 ½ - 3 lbs beef, sliced thin against the grain (tri tip or thin sliced bottom round/carne asada beef works great)
1 bag broccoli crowns
4 Tbs oil
3 large carrots, quartered and chopped
1 onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
3 Tbs fresh ginger, chopped

Sauce Ingredients
5 Tbs light soy sauce
5 Tbs oyster sauce (hoisin sauce would work, too)
¾ cup water
3 Tbs cornstarch
3 Tbs sugar
1 ½ Tbs black pepper

Directions
Preparation: Mix the marinade ingredients and set aside.

Thinly slice the beef against the grain.

Pour the marinade over the beef, mix well with a spoon, then set aside or cover and refrigerate for no more than a couple hours.

Make the Sauce and set aside.

Chop the garlic, ginger, onion, and carrot. Set aside in one bowl.

Add oil to a Dutch Oven and turn heat to med-high.

Add the chopped veggies. Stir for a couple minutes.

Add the beef. Stir to mix with the veggies and brown for a couple minutes, stirring to even. It the pan is crowded, it may take a little longer, but don't fry the water out of the meat.

Add the broccoli to the top and cover. Do not stir. Steam for 8 minutes.

Add the sauce. The sauce will thicken in about a minute. Stir to coat everything.

Serve over rice.
Nice i have been wanting to do some beef and broccoli for a while i might use the meat for that. i also have sou vide function on the ninja so might do that too lol thanks you two

Reactions: noboundaries
I used eye of round for the April Throwdown, pounded out, marinated than rolled into the tube shape. Was looking for Flank Steak.
I found the eye of Round was very good
DSC_4677.JPG

David

I have made German beef rouladen with that.

Hey All,

Safeway is having a b1go thin eye of round steaks. I tried to grill one a while ago as roast but wasn't any fat so I really didn't like it. Was my bad for trying to cook it and eat it like a roast. Are eye's good for anything besides jerky? I guess i can get the steaks slice em thin and try jerk in my new ninja LOL O.o thoughts?

I swear the Sous Vide was invented specifically for Beef Eye Round.
@ 132° for 21 to 24 hours is perfect, like a low-fat Prime Rib.
Like This:
Beef Eye Round (Finally) (9-18-18) *

Bear

Here's an excellent use for eye round.

Be sure to dry brine beforehand at least overnight.

Besides dry brine, the most important point is to slice against the grain and to slice super thin. Don't worry about how pretty the slices are. Just make sure they are paper thin. If you don't have a meat slicer, use a sharp knife - there is a technique of pushing straight down while slicing while holding the knife at a 45 degree angle which will give you paper thin slices. If you do those two things, it will be amazingly tender. Pile the meat high on a nice Kaiser bun or some other adequate bun. A half pound of meat would be about right. Horseradish sauce and raw onions are both an absolute must for a BPB sandwich. Adding mayo is okay. Adding tomato is okay. Provolone is okay. Lettuce is strictly forbidden - FORGET ABOUT IT (unless you're from New York).

As you bite into the sandwich, your teeth will sink effortlessly into the meat, and you'll enjoy the strong taste of beef that eye round can offer. The strong beef taste will be complimented wonderfully by the horseradish sauce. Finally, you'll feel the bite and texture of the onion as your molars crunch down. Juices will drip down your chin and pool onto your plate. It's really a spectacular sandwich which is why the lines are out the door for these here in Maryland.

chaps-pit-beef-sandwich.jpg

Last edited:
Not really a deli sandwich kinda guy to be honest. Unless it's got salami on it I usually pass lol
If you SV (or went with jcam's recipe) a whole EOR, you can do whatever you want with it, served hot with taters and gravy, for example.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky