Expert grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bubba(1)ton

Original poster
Nov 6, 2023
Good morning, I’m new to smoking. I’m doing a 14 lb brisket and the control panel says 225 but the temp at bottom of brisket is 140 and at top of brisket is 174 so I adjusted to 250 on control and at bottom area around brisket is 165 and top area is 202 and advice on this. It’s an expert pellet smoker and the internal temp is 118 advise would be appreciated thank you.

Reactions: JLeonard
Howdy and welcome to the group from New Mexico.
Can you post a picture of the inside of the grill with the brisket?
I'm assuming you are talking about the air temp around the brisket.
Are you measuring that when you open the grill?
There will be a huge drop as soon as you open it.
Do you have any thermometers that you can put a probe in the grill (and one in the brisket) so you can get reading with grill closed?
Those are pretty much mandatory when doing any long cooks.

Reactions: JLeonard
What are ya using to check the temps? Are you sure the smoker is running at the set temp? And if you are checking the temps right at the brisket you may be getting a lower temp due to the thermal mass of the cold brisket.

Jim

Is the fire pot in the middle? May want to flip the brisket or move it so it is not directly over fire pot.

Howdy and welcome to the group from New Mexico.
Can you post a picture of the inside of the grill with the brisket?
I'm assuming you are talking about the air temp around the brisket.
Are you measuring that when you open the grill?
There will be a huge drop as soon as you open it.
Do you have any thermometers that you can put a probe in the grill (and one in the brisket) so you can get reading with grill closed?
Those are pretty much mandatory when doing any long cooks.

Attachments

• IMG_9065.jpeg
    IMG_9065.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9064.jpeg
    IMG_9064.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 16
I had the temperature set to 225 and it was around 140 around brisket. Went to 250 and it came up to 202 just set it at 275 and its 225.

Is the fire pot in the middle? May want to flip the brisket or move it so it is not directly over fire pot. They have a plate angled over the fire pot and most heat seems to come up from edges along perimeter
The fire pot is slightly to the right of middle

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky