ever use wood pellets?

Discussion in 'Woods for Smoking' started by shellbellc, Sep 7, 2006.

1. shellbellc

shellbellc Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I've used them with my grill, we have a little pull out "smoker drawer", but I was wondering how they'd be in a smoker. I just bought a couple of bags of different flavored ones to try, orange, pecan, cherry, apple. I have a mustang electric smoker and thought I'd try them once instead of wood chunks. If it doesn't work I can still use them with the grill, but then I'd have to make that decision of not using the smoker...decisions, decisions...

2. Well, they smoke pretty much like chips, don’t they, sounds like that could be very interesting. Would be easy to maintain a nice thin smoke I would think. They’re just compressed sawdust, right?

3. shellbellc

4. I've used the pellets in both my Silver Smoker and my Weber with great success. Just make up foil pouches with the pellets and pop them in like you would chips or chunks.

5. shellbellc

I have an electric smoker with a "pie plate" that sits over the element, do you think it's necessary to wrap them in foil? I was thinking just throwing them in the plate like I do chips...

6. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Try them like you planned-placing them in the pan. If they burn down too quickly, then cover the pan with foil and poke some holes into the foil.