Ever just "Throw a little smoke on it"?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sisco

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Western Ks
Every time I grill (as opposed to smoking or BBQing), whether it be burgers, steaks, chops or whatever I set the meat to the cold side of the grill, toss in some chips and let it absorb some smoke for a few minutes before cooking.
Am I alone here?

I always lay some flavor via smoke to whatever I'm grilling. Most of the time it's hickory. I don't tend to go to a the "cold" side of the grill though.

I use charcoal when grilling, I do like BA LoKo and throw in some hickory to the coals. My propane grill has been abandoned ever since I found a nice Kingsford kettle grill for cheap. I love watching the guy on "licensed to grill" he adds smoke on his propane grill all the time ....... he loves to drink beer too.
8591d89c_vbattach16120.jpg

Randy, I saw a grill very similar to yours today at Ace Hardware. I'm thinking it was a Brinkman, but whatever it was, it was a propane light assisted charcoal burner. It looked like a nice grill. Price on this one was $299.00 with 25% off.

Thats a great price. the one you saw was the 'Cadillac' of Weber's. Mine doesnt have all the built in features like the Weber, It just has the smaller table and the ash collector. Mine was $49, I couldnt pass it up!

By "Cold Side" I mean I pile the charcoal on one side of my CharGriller, put the meat on the opposite side until I'm ready to cook.

I met him a while back ... my brother Triple B won a BBQ party that included a new BBQ grill and a backyard party with Rob Rainer cooking and of course being family and all ... I got to go! We fed him and his brother beer all afternoon and had a great time ....

I gotcha now Sisco. I also like to use lump charcoal as well for some extra flavor on burgers.

The last time I used coals under the food grates in my chargriller, I felt like it "unseasoned" my cast iron grates. Almost like it got too hot and all that seasoning burnt off. Have you found anything like this? It is possible I just built my fire way too hot!

I always fill my cast iron "smoke box" with chips and put it on the grill at the edge of the fire.
Works great, gives a good smoky flavor to burgers, steaks, and such.

That is cool. What a nice prize ........ What are the chances of a SMF member getting their own show? LOL

Before i got my smoker and got this new addiction.... all i had was a charcoal grill... i would pile my charcoal to one side and cook on the "cold" side everytime....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky