Enjoying Trying Things Out in Budapest

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by houstoncreed, May 27, 2016.

1. houstoncreed

houstoncreed Newbie

My name is Clayton and I'm a Texan who wound up in Budapest, Hungary. Last year, my wife gave me a ProQ Smoker. I've used it a decent bit, but I still feel mostly lost. I must say that this site helps a lot and I come here often for advice. Now that summer is in full swing again, the smoker is back out and being used. I like smoking fish, cheese, corn, beef, chicken, pork and different sausages. I also enjoy trying out unconventional things. I look forward to learning a lot and getting better at using my smoker.

Rings Я Us likes this.
  2. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Welcome to the forum.

Glad to have you with us.

Al

3. mike5051

mike5051 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Welcome to the group Clayton!  Glad you joined us!

Mike

4. houstoncreed

houstoncreed Newbie

I used the above smoker (no help from my son) and wound up with some pretty good chicken and garlic, all smoked with oak. I have to thank everyone for all the informative posts on here. It helped a ton! This was also my first try with using a brine for the chicken. I'm pretty practiced with garlic, something I love, but the chicken was a new recipe all around. It turned out pretty nice and juicy.

5. [​IMG]   Good afternoon and welcome to the forum from a pretty nice day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web.

Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

houstoncreed likes this.
  6. mike5051

That looks good!  [​IMG]

Mike

houstoncreed likes this.
  7. houstoncreed

houstoncreed Newbie

Also, just to show the Hungarian side of things, since I'm presently living in Budapest, here is mangalica bacon that we roasted over a fire. You use the bread to catch the drippings, and then eat the bacon once most of the fat is melted off. It makes one happy to say the least. Oh, and of course you have to roast onions with the bacon.

mike5051 likes this.
  8. mike5051

That sounds incredibly tasty!  [​IMG]

Mike

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    houstoncreed likes this.
  9. Rings Я Us

Rings Я Us Master of the Pit Group Lead

Man! 👍 your gonna have to make us a pot of goulash one day..

Lol.. just kidding.. but that looks good.. and nice smoker too.. you have a great family.😀 points! Good luck over there.

houstoncreed likes this.
  10. Rings Я Us

Rings Я Us Master of the Pit Group Lead

:points:

:usa:

houstoncreed likes this.
  11. atomicsmoke

atomicsmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Quite the transplant from Texas to Hungary. I bet you are enjoying some great food there.

Bread soaked in fat dripings is great. Onion makes it oustanding.

houstoncreed likes this.