Electrical help for my ground water well. Please!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forktender

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 10, 2008
NORCAL
I though my pressure switched crapped out on me. But after replacing it, it seems to be the main power switch. The power switch right before the pressure switch.I can't figure out what these switches are called. Any help would be appreciated. Steve H Steve H

Thank you.
Dan.

20231112_165038.jpg
20231112_165028.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
It's a push/pull switch. You can bypass it to see if it's the problem before replacing it. Shut power off at breaker. Take switch off from the conduit fitting. And wire the black wires together. Turn power back on and see if pump runs.
I'm assuming this is a 110 volt pump.

Last edited:
And it also looks like the switch cover is riveted on. You may have to get at the wires from the conduit cover below it.

This thread brings back memories of when we lived in the Colorado Rockies and had a well.
First the 600' deep pump motor went out.
Then a year later the well went dry and had to be hydrofracked.
Ah, the good ol' days...

And it also looks like the switch cover is riveted on. You may have to get at the wires from the conduit cover below it.
There is a small conduit access fitting below the switch. I checked it with a meter. The switch has power on one side and not the other. I think the push pull cover plate has small alan head screws holding to the box. If I can't find a replacement switch and cover, the box has 3/4" pipe threads.
I was trying not to disturb them, because as you can see the box has been out in the weather for almost 50 yrs. And I don't want to break anything trying to loosen the rusted threads.

I will start by spray a little break free on it this morning in case I need to replace the threaded box along with the switch.

I will run down to Home Depot this afternoon to see if I can find another plunger switch replacement.

Thanks a bunch Steve.
I looked on Amazon and couldn't find that type of switch.

Im sure there are electrical supply houses in town if need be.

Thank you for the help.
Dan.

Or if you have a meter, test for power. Could be the breaker, or worse yet the pump itself.

Ryan
I hope to hell that its not the pump, the pump is down 120 feet. If it comes to that. I will be calling in the pro's. I'm not going to pull up 120' of pipe to replace the motor on my own.

There is a small conduit access fitting below the switch. I checked it with a meter. The switch has power on one side and not the other. I think the push pull cover plate has small alan head screws holding to the box. If I can't find a replacement switch and cover, the box has 3/4" pipe threads.
I was trying not to disturb them, because as you can see the box has been out in the weather for almost 50 yrs. And I don't want to break anything trying to loosen the rusted threads.

I will start by spray a little break free on it this morning in case I need to replace the threaded box along with the switch.

I will run down to Home Depot this afternoon to see if I can find another plunger switch replacement.

Thanks a bunch Steve.
I looked on Amazon and couldn't find that type of switch.

Im sure there are electrical supply houses in town if need be.

Thank you for the help.
Dan.
I haven't seen that style P/P switch in over 20 years. You can easily use something else.
Glad to help!

That'll make it easier to replace if it's bad. You can install a box and regular motor rated switch. Finding that P/P switch that mounts to the conduit could be a problem.
I guess any type of weather, and motor rated switch whether it is a push pull of paddle style switch. I'm not sure if it's 110 or 220 volts. I will have to pull the cover plate off and check it.
It could be 220v because in the panel there are two breakers clipped together, and the wires in the access look pretty big to me. This is not in my wheelhouse, I'm a retired union plumber/fitter. LOL
I hate electrical stuff, because I don't have any practical experience with it, except for changing out outlets and switches in the house. LOL.

This is the breaker.

Thank you very much for the help, I truly appreciate it.
Dan.

Attachments

• 20231113_091024.jpg
    20231113_091024.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I haven't seen that style P/P switch in over 20 years. You can easily use something else.
Glad to help!
We bought the house my wife grew up in after her mother passed away. She said the well has always been here.
My wife is 62 years old, so that switch is probably from the early 1960s or late 50s.
I guess they got their moneys worth out of it. LOL.
Thank god the well is now just used for outside irrigation and outside hose bibs. There is city water for inside use. Thank god, because the well water smells of sulfur in a big way. We haven't had it tested, but I sure as hell ain't drinking it. Although I wouldn't mind plumbing the well water to the toilets to save a few bucks on city water.
But then we would have to deal with rust and sulfur stained toilets, which wouldn't bother me as much as it would her.
She is 100% German, a neat freak is an understatement.
I'm the complete opposite. LOL!!!

I know where my stuff is, it's either in this pile or that pile, don't move it!!!

Whenever she cleans up my stuff, I can never find anything, and it irritates the hell out of me, you have no idea how many times I've had to buy replacement parts because she can't remember where she moved things too. LOL!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H
We bought the house my wife grew up in after her mother passed away. She said the well has always been here.
My wife is 62 years old, so that switch is probably from the early 1960s or late 50s.
I guess they got their moneys worth out of it. LOL.
Thank god the well is now just used for outside irrigation and outside hose bibs. There is city water for inside use. Thank god, because the well water smells of sulfur in a big way. We haven't had it tested, but I sure as hell ain't drinking it. Although I wouldn't mind plumbing the well water to the toilets to save a few bucks on city water.
But then we would have to deal with rust and sulfur stained toilets, which wouldn't bother me as much as it would her.
She is 100% German, a neat freak is an understatement.
I'm the complete opposite. LOL!!!

I know where my stuff is, it's either in this pile or that pile, don't move it!!!

Whenever she cleans up my stuff, I can never find anything, and it irritates the hell out of me, you have no idea how many times I've had to buy replacement parts because she can't remember where she moved things too. LOL!!!
Wanna bet? I met my wife while stationed in Germany! She's 100% German as well. Right now, it's a losing battle with keeping the house clean because of ongoing renovations. But god help me if I don't put things away!

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
I still don't know if it is 220v or not. When I buy the replacement switch, I will buy a 220v rated switch just to be sure it can handle the load.
Here are a few pictures of what I am dealing with. Notice it has one white wire feeding the switch and two black wires that appear to be supplying the pressure switch.
Steve, you were correct in your assumption that the cover plate is in deed riveted to the box.

I just squirted the threads down with Kriol, the worlds best breakfree. We used it on 100 yr old steamlines, and mechanical flanges to break the bolts free.
The stuff works, we tried a bunch of breakfree and Kroil by far is the best. It may take a few applications, but the stuff flat out works better than other brands. It's a great lubricant for gun and fishing reels as well.
I always have a few cans on hand, just for reasons like this.

Attachments

• 20231113_094714.jpg
    20231113_094714.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20231113_094646.jpg
    20231113_094646.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20231113_094619.jpg
    20231113_094619.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231113_091024.jpg
    20231113_091024.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 29
I still don't know if it is 220v or not. When I buy the replacement switch, I will buy a 220v rated switch just to be sure it can handle the load.
Here are a few pictures of what I am dealing with. Notice it has one white wire feeding the switch and two black wires that appear to be supplying the pressure switch.
Steve, you were correct in your assumption that the cover plate is in deed riveted to the box.

I just squirted the threads down with Kriol, the worlds best breakfree. We used it on 100 yr old steamlines, and mechanical flanges to break the bolts free.
The stuff works, we tried a bunch of breakfree and Kroil by far is the best. It may take a few applications, but the stuff flat out works better than other brands. It's a great lubricant for gun and fishing reels as well.
I always have a few cans on hand, just for reasons like this.
Yes kroil is the best spray you can buy for rusted bolts. The only other thing you do is mix acetone and ATF as a great break free as well. But I doubt in commiefornia you could get acetone?

Wanna bet? I met my wife while stationed in Germany! She's 100% German as well. Right now, it's a losing battle with keeping the house clean because of ongoing renovations. But god help me if I don't put things away!
We are in the same boat Steve, I'm redoing the whole inside of this house, it hasn't been remodeled since the early 1980's, you can't beat the price we got it for though. Once we complete the renovation, we will be mortgage free until we escape from Cali. once and for all. I started in May, and removed the exterior wall drywall to ground the old outlets and to insulate the EX walls. Then retaped and textured , painted and put new flooring down. Then it was my wifes turn , she bought ALL new drapery, furnishing, and linens. Next fall we will redo the bathrooms and kitchen 100%.
I guess I won't be buying a new smoker for a while, but I am buying myself a hot tub, because after doing all this work I won't be able to stand for a few weeks, I'm doing everything on my own. I don't know if it was a cures or gift that my father was a G.C. and throughout the yrs I've worked for many of his subs and learned to do things on my own. I guess at today's bid prices it was a gift, we couldn't afford to sub out all this work. The only thing I will be calling in friends for is the kitchen cabinets and electrical in the kitchen.
Besides that, I'll be busy for the next yr, maybe two.

YIKES!!!

Thanks for the help Steve H Steve H I truly appreciate it.
Dan.

Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky