Electrical help for my ground water well. Please!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes kroil is the best spray you can buy for rusted bolts. The only other thing you do is mix acetone and ATF as a great break free as well. But I doubt in commiefornia you could get acetone?
Actually it is one of the things we can still get here.
Don't get me started on what we can no longer get here in HELL!!!

If Newsome gets into office one way or another back door way, LMFAO @ "backdoor" and Kali, the whole country if going to be like good'ol Kali.
God forbid.....Rant over!!!

Steve H Steve H
There were 4 wires 3 black 1 white.

That blox and switch will be replaced one way or another, after seeing the inside of it.

Attachments

• 20231113_114413.jpg
    20231113_114413.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20231113_115147.jpg
    20231113_115147.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 18
Not licensed but done lots of wiring over the years but never saw a switch cover like that. If that were me I'd throw the switch on, power it back up, and carefully confirm with the meter the old switch is in fact the issue.

Reactions: forktender
Not licensed but done lots of wiring over the years but never saw a switch cover like that. If that were me I'd throw the switch on, power it back up, and carefully confirm with the meter the old switch is in fact the issue.
Dan did. Look at post #12

Reactions: zwiller
Already did. Look at post #24
I was in Ace hardware, and I didn't have my reading glasses with me.
Ace had crap boxes and switches, I ordered the parts off the part list that you put together for me. Thanks a bunch Steve, I really appreciate the help from a professional skilled tradesman.
Thank God, the well is only used for irrigation water and hose bibs, or else I'd be putting it back together with sub par Ace hardware parts. It will also let the Kroil do its job for a few days, so the old box comes off without breaking anything, you know how plumbers are, if It's too tight get a longer cheater bar and a hammer out. LOL!!!
Thank again, I know I keep saying that, but I truly appreciate your help.
You saved me a pretty good chunk of change, by not having to call someone in to repair if for me.

We are broke, my wife spent everything on new furnishings, linens and drapes. LOL!!!
Dan.

I believe that to be the well pump motor starter in the blue box behind the switch... Keep that in mind if it was not the switch... I've had to replce a few of them through the years.... The switch is really not needed if the breaker is close by...

The switch is dead, power is not passing through it, and the switch paddle itself just flops back and forth with zero resistance. It has to be over 50 yrs old.

I replaced the pressure switch, because they are cheap. I was hoping that would take care of the problem, but it didn't. It was a good thing I replaced it, though, because the 1/4'' galvi riser pipe had so much plaque in it that you couldn't see through it or blow through it. LOL...I hate galvi water pipes with a passion, I need to repipe this whole house and replace the main from the H2o meter, I'm sure it's full of plaque as well, this house was built in the late 1940s, my inlaws had it built after they were married.
The joys of owning an old home....but we couldn't bare to see it go on the market, so we bought my best friend and brother inlaw out of his half with money we already had saved. Mortgage free is a whole new way of life for us, we are digging it big time!!!

Thanks for the ideas.
Dan the plumber, obviously not an electrician. LOL!!!

I believe that to be the well pump motor starter in the blue box behind the switch... Keep that in mind if it was not the switch... I've had to replce a few of them through the years.... The switch is really not needed if the breaker is close by...
I think it's okay, if I worked the switch up and down a few times the pump would cycle for a few minutes then shut off, fingers crossed!!!

The breaker is in the front yard, so a switch is nice to have right at the pump.
But if the rusted box won't spin off, I may just hard wire it and put a new cover place and gasket on it.

Thanks for the idea.
Dan

I think it's okay, if I worked the switch up and down a few times the pump would cycle for a few minutes then shut off, fingers crossed!!!

The breaker is in the front yard, so a switch is nice to have right at the pump.
But if the rusted box won't spin off, I may just hard wire it and put a new cover place and gasket on it.

Thanks for the idea.
Dan
That is new info that I didn't know. It could be the thermo limits built into the motor. Hopefully not the case.

Dan does the gray box that says Franklin Electric have wires running to it?
I would think it would have a controller box.

Missed that somehow!

Not a NEC fanatic but see some missing conduit on that box too 2nd pic of post 1.
I took the cover plate off the access to see how the wires looked. The wire looks fine, I just hope the pump itself isn't clogged up and tripping the power off.
Look at the plaque in the 1/4" pressure switch riser pipe, you can't see through it at all, and can hardly blow through it.
I hope this doesn't turn into a can of worms, that would be just my luck, at least it's winter and we don't need the water very bad right now.

Attachments

• 20231113_170037.jpg
    20231113_170037.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 12
Stopped up pressure switches are common, glad I don't have to work on them any more , I have a well that's 218' deep and put 3 pumps in it over the years, a month after the last swap I put city water in,

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky