Electric Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

darlene53

Original poster
Feb 3, 2014
I got a electric smoker from Academy at Christmas and It don't seem to be working right.

They temp will not get past 175 and chickens can cook at least 6 hours and still not done.

Maybe the guage isn't working?

I know the temp outside might have something to do with it?

The little instruction booklet we got with it doesnt help much.

So someone please help

I got a electric smoker from Academy at Christmas and It don't seem to be working right.

They temp will not get past 175 and chickens can cook at least 6 hours and still not done.

Maybe the guage isn't working?

I know the temp outside might have something to do with it?

The little instruction booklet we got with it doesnt help much.

So someone please help
I am not sure what an Academy Smoker is but it sounds to me that the temperature regulation unit is not working properly.

Notify Academy and see if they can pinpoint the problem for you...That would be my first step.

Good Luck,  John

Are you opening the door? I read somewhere that opening the door can add as much as 15 min. to re-coop the lost heat in an electric. That seems excessive but I might buy 8 to 10 mins. So lets say you are cooking ribs using the 3 2 1 method. If you only open the door once and hour during the cook, you have cost yourself an additional hour on your cooking time for the box to have to recoop its lost heat.

I realize since there is no probe involved this might not have been the best example, but it is still accurate, but no sense jumping out there discussing what a 18 hour butt would do.

Electrics are very precise on the heat control but very slow on recovery, mush the same as a electric stove vice a gas. 

So if you are a peeper a moper or a spritzer you need a fireburner or something to occupy your time with.

That all being said, I am assuming its an MES and they are notorious for inaccurate thermostats. Get a thermometer, verify its true using boiling water on the stove then test yout box temp and compare the two. if in fact its your box talk to MES. They have to my knowledge, been very helpful and courteous with customers experiencing difficulties.  

Last edited:
I just got off the internet and discovered that Academy is the company which sells a variety of smokers.

What brand is yours?

That is the company you should contact, not Academy, unless they have a return policy and wish to replace the smoker with a new one.

John

My electric has a slow recovery time compared to my charcoal smokers. I try to never open the door while smoking.

My electric has a slow recovery time compared to my charcoal smokers. I try to never open the door while smoking.
I'm not sure Darlene53 mentioned anything about opening the door to the smoker.

My thoughts are that she has a faulty digital regulation unit and needs to get it replaced.

John

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky