Electric smoker safe for deck?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dtsdowntosmoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Lake Norman NC
Hey everyone. As usual, I have a very basic question.

I live on the 3rd floor of a 3 floor apartment building and have a wodden deck on the back. I have a Masterbuilt 30" electric fridge style smoker and wondered if it would be safe to use on the deck. I have used it 6 or 7 times at my parents house, but have never really taken the time to see if it got really hot on the outside.

I have a 5.5 pound butt and wanted to do it early tomorrow. I have moved everything away from the smoker so it's about a foot away from everything.

Sorry if it's a dumb question. I would just prefer not to burn our building down.

Thanks,

BB

BB, you will be fine. I have seen a lot of pictures on here with MES's on wooden decks.

Tomorrow hold your hand about 4" away from the smoker and I bet you won't feel any heat at all.

Reactions: smokeusum
Your wooden deck would have to get fairly hot to spontaneously combust without a flame or heat w/an accelerant present... You should be safe to about 500f+ without an accelerant - just make sure it's not against the siding of the building ;)

Reactions: s2k9k
For drips get a oil drip pan from autozone ect.. Mine costed me $12 . I have my gosm and 2 lp tanks on it. Get a welding blanket to put around it if you are super paranoid. Smoke on bb

If your a renter, don't take risks with your security deposit for a grease stained deck. IMO
That's a good point. As a renter you should also check your lease and also check with the landlord or property manager. Most apartment complexes completely ban charcoal cookers such as Weber kettles, and many also ban gas grills on wooden decks. Some ban cooking of any nature, including smoking, on the decks. Also, your neighbors are very close. A few might appreciate the smell of the smoke, but many may not, especially during warmer months when their windows are open.

like others have said check w/ landlord 1st

my MES 30  resides on my wooden deck when I am in the zone, no issues what so ever w/heat transferred to wooden floor ( Ihave checked, had the same concerns as you)

I agree with "Check with your Landlord first."  I lived in an apartment building for several years, and I got a small electric grill, no gas, no charcoal.  My lease said no gas or charcoal grills of any kind, so I figured I was good to go with an electric grill.  I was wrong.  Within a week of it being on the deck, before i ever fired it up, I received a letter asking for it to be removed.  I went to the leasing office and explained that it was neither gas nor charcoal, and was told that they didn't allow grills of any kind, so as to "respect the air around your neighbors".  Reeked of BS to me, and I mentioned as such, stating that the paper lease I signed had no such clause.  I was politely warned to remove the grill a second time, and I figured Smoked Meat vs Homeless was a pretty one-sided battle.

Check first, smoke second.  Safe bet.

I agree with "Check with your Landlord first."  I lived in an apartment building for several years, and I got a small electric grill, no gas, no charcoal.  My lease said no gas or charcoal grills of any kind, so I figured I was good to go with an electric grill.  I was wrong.  Within a week of it being on the deck, before i ever fired it up, I received a letter asking for it to be removed.  I went to the leasing office and explained that it was neither gas nor charcoal, and was told that they didn't allow grills of any kind, so as to "respect the air around your neighbors".  Reeked of BS to me, and I mentioned as such, stating that the paper lease I signed had no such clause.   I was politely warned to remove the grill a second time, and I figured Smoked Meat vs Homeless was a pretty one-sided battle.

Check first, smoke second.  Safe bet.
If it ain't in writing, it don't count.  How is that any different from sitting your George Foreman grill on a table on your deck?  Or a coffee maker, etc... (all just electric elements). 

I live in a Second floor Apt with an MES 40 on the Wood balcony. No Problems...I did ask and my complex limits 2nd and 3rd floor apts to Electric only and I was the first tenant EVER in the apt's 30 year existence to request to use a Smoker. I had to pay to have a 20A GFI installed but that was no big deal. So far I have had " Hey do you know what's Burning? " questions from the upper and lower neighbors but no complaints, that I know of, to or from management. Since Grills are allowed, Gas or Charcoal 1st floor only, I find it hard to believe that management would say this guy or that girl is not allowed to cook outside because someone else does not like the smell. I do try to limit my smokes to no more than 1 a week, mostly less, and try to pick days that are supposed to be Windy...JJ

Just a thought... How much does 1 lb of cooked PP cost?  $2, $3, ??

How about every 2nd, 3rd, 4th smoke you package up a pound of PP and give it to your neighbor?

Cheap Insurance, if you ask me!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky