Electric Power tools

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
A few times in critical need I rented a chain saw. Rather disappointing overall.

So I eventually bought a plug in 18” WORX and a Sunjoe 8” on a telescopic pole. Both were about the cost of the rental (GRRR). And work VERY GOOD. Better than the crap rental. Still very sharp after many uses. Spare chains are less than sharpening kits etc. Easy.

We threw down for Ego mower, edger, trimmer and blower - and sold all the gas versions of these that were 10-15 years old. Very impressed and happy to be done with all the gas cans, oil mix, and all that. Selling all the old stuff paid for about half of the new stuff.

The Husquavarna snowblower is staying with us. Its a two stage and cost a fortune and the electrics are another fortune. But thats all thats left on gas. A week ago I replaced the carb for $15 and we are good to go a while. I’ll just siphon Gas from my truck to feed and ditch can of gas in the garage.

Big changes but feels good.

Sure gonna be a lot easier for ya. Replacement batteries are usually kinda spendy but maybe only an every 3 yr deal ? Ego stuff looks pretty good quality.

I have a Dewalt 20 volt chainsaw and extendable pole saw and I like them for light jobs they just lack the power for the big jobs. I also have the Dewalt sting trimmer and hedge trimmers hedge trimmers do a great job string trimmer is again for small to normal stuff just not heavy duty work. I hear about the battery mowers and laugh I use a commercial zero turn mower presently and mow around 10-12 acres a week haven't heard of a battery powered mower that mows anywhere near that with a battery or two.

I use the ego trimmer and blower and think they are really excellent tools. Will get the mower as soon as my gas version ages a little more. I have 3 batteries which lets me work for a long enough period of time. I will get their chain saw this summer to cut things that are too big for my sawsall, might even replace the use of the sawsall outside.

We still use gas mowers, pickups, chainsaws. Snowmobiles, etc.. in the parts of ND I’m in. Electric just doesn’t have the power and batteries don’t do well below zero. People are getting electric ice augers for early season and yard trimmers along with Milwaukee drills so guessing it won’t be long before it will be feasible. Times are a changing.. I don’t think I will see ELecteic vehicles take hold in ND in my lifetime (I’m 39) but you never know

Too much real estate here to mow also, just bought a brand new zero turn mower last year that should last for years. And my 25 year old chainsaw still runs like a champ so no changes coming here. Maybe that makes me old and set it my ways but not one for change lol.

Ryan

Reactions: bigfurmn
I am really happy for the people that can use electric for the convenience.
Just not going to happen for me in the near future.
My personal gas powered stuff will last for years and my generous boss lets me use the gas powered pole saw. Probably helps that I keep the chain sharp for farm jobs?

Too much real estate here to mow also, just bought a brand new zero turn mower last year that should last for years. And my 25 year old chainsaw still runs like a champ so no changes coming here. Maybe that makes me old and set it my ways but not one for change lol.

Ryan

Ryan the weight of the battery operated chainsaw, pole pruner, and string trimmer compared to the gas powered ones really makes a difference as we age and have health issues. I still have all my gas powered equipment for the tougher jobs but if the battery operated ones will do the job they are what I use. With having other Dewalt 20 volt tools and thus extra batteries it made it an easy decision for me.
I've got a 27 hp 60" cut Dixie Chopper I bought new a few years ago that I use for "lawn mowing" I've owned several different brands and models in the past.

Most of my battery tools are Makita brand hand tools . Last year I bought the blower and hedge trimmer for doing yard work . It sure makes it easy . I really like the blower . It's the 36v , takes 2 18v batteries . The hedge trimmer is 18v , uses one battery . I like that the batteries are the same ( you can get different amp hours ) based on 18 volts . The tools take one or two .
I have a dual charger in the garage and in the work shop , and single chargers that stay with the drills and impacts .
I'm tempted to get the string trimmer . I have a Toro 4 stroke right now . Works great when it runs .

Kinda makes a difference of what brand of tools you start with. I chose Dewalt years ago and have stayed with them...mainly because I don't want to buy all new batteries and chargers besides the tools. Have switched to the 20 amp batteries. Bought the leaf blower a couple years ago...mainly for blowing off combine when we leave it in the field, lot less of a fire hazard starting with a clean machine everyday.
And it works really good for cleaning off a light dusting of snow from sidewalk.

Ryan

I have been using Ryobi power tools for a few years now. All the 18v tools take the same battery and I love it. They are pretty cheap cheap and I’ve never had an issue. Only think I got that was desalt was a table saw. I also have the Ryobi lawnmower and weed eater. They are also let of their 40v lineup that uses all the same battery too so it’s real convenient.

Kinda makes a difference of what brand of tools you start with.
That's a big part of it . We used the impacts at work for heavy gauge metal framing . All contractor supplied , but I got so used to them I bought the same for the house . Almost pulled the trigger on that trimmer this morning . 36v 4 batteries and a dual charger is $450.00 .
Decided to go pull the rope on my gas powered instead .

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Most of my shop tools are Craftsman, the poor man's version of Snap-on. I do have an Ryobi electric weed-eater, and it's a couple three years old. So far it's outlasted my stihl gas powered eater.

Chris

Reactions: TH-n-PA and chopsaw
I got the 40v ryobi push mower last year and got the weed eater this year. I cut very little with a push mower and my 80 year old mom can easily use it around her flower beds. It will run non stop for 1 hour with a 6ah battery and takes about a 1.5 hours to recharge. Since they had the battery weed eater with the expand it capability I got it. As I have all the attachments for it. Amazing how much lighter they are.

A few times in critical need I rented a chain saw. Rather disappointing overall.

So I eventually bought a plug in 18” WORX and a Sunjoe 8” on a telescopic pole. Both were about the cost of the rental (GRRR). And work VERY GOOD. Better than the crap rental. Still very sharp after many uses. Spare chains are less than sharpening kits etc. Easy.

We threw down for Ego mower, edger, trimmer and blower - and sold all the gas versions of these that were 10-15 years old. Very impressed and happy to be done with all the gas cans, oil mix, and all that. Selling all the old stuff paid for about half of the new stuff.

The Husquavarna snowblower is staying with us. Its a two stage and cost a fortune and the electrics are another fortune. But thats all thats left on gas. A week ago I replaced the carb for $15 and we are good to go a while. I’ll just siphon Gas from my truck to feed and ditch can of gas in the garage.

Big changes but feels good.

I have a few 20v "Worx" here, but Bear Jr has a bunch of the bigger stuff from "Ego", including the newest member of the family---The Snowblower. I can't believe the power that thing has. So he does all the plowing around here, more than a mile of Driveways, and around 2 big shops, and 4 parking lots. And Bethany gets all the tight areas around their house, garages, and Sidewalks & Decks with the Ego.
I no longer use any of my Worx stuff, but Mrs Bear likes using the leaf blower instead of her broom, to clean up in the garage. I told her she's getting too old to fly around on that broom any more, anyway.

Bear

Ryan
Zero turns definitely got better.
About 8 or more years ago I got one of the first ones Cub made. What a problem child that was. Had to put air in the tires every freaking week, until I broke down & put tubes in. It burned out all 3 blade bearing every year. I started getting my bearings free under warranty, but it was still a PITA to change them every freaking year. Then the steering was messed up, I guess mainly because it was something new, Zero turn "using a Steering Wheel".
However the last time I had a problem with it, instead of having them fix it, I traded it in on a brand new Cub Zero-turn with a steering wheel, 25 HP, 42" Cut.
I gotta tell you this one is awesome---Turn on a Dime, while using a steering wheel, just like a regular steering tractor.
I'll be selling it soon---I gotta figure out a price & let Mrs Bear post it. I hate to get rid of it, but Bear Jr & his Tower/Woodworking Helper took over all my mowing last year already. I'm not even capable of mowing the freaking yard any more!

Bear

Kinda makes a difference of what brand of tools you start with.
I get that these dont work for all size yard for sure. my yard is an average size and about half grass.

2 of the 4 tools I sold were getting close to the end and we had wanted to reduce gas use. So buying them all at once of the same brand worked. Bought batteries with each. MUCH cheaper with a tools than as a stand alone purch. Like half the cost.

I do have a gas generator too - spaced on that. Doesnt see much use anymore, but we had had enough significant power outages that its very handy to save the fridge contents.

One tip - overbuy on battery size and power. I bought a blower trimmer combo and the blower was so weak and the battery only lasted like 15 minutes. Seemed useless and all that was returned. Had to up the anty a touch across the board.

Definitely understand where it's better suited for some than others. Our acreage is 11.5 acres...some of which is tillable farm ground and another site of 5 acres. Plus anything I help do on dad's farm. But it definitely helps to have things that start properly...have been on the other side where ya pull, pull,pull the rope trying to get things started. Might even involve a bit of cussing :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Got the Makita 36V trimmer today . Put the parts on it and took it for a spin . That thing is awesome . Quiet , no vibration ( my hands go numb using the gas powered ) and the start stop is nice . ALL kinds of power . Just bought a speed loader head for it . This is gonna be nice .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky