Easy Smoked Pork Tenderloin Foamheart

Discussion in 'Pork' started by foamheart, Sep 10, 2014.

1. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I know, you seen this before, but its so good, so easy, so inexpensive and makes such a pretty plate.

Shamefully heres some of my previous attempts:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/160909/smoked-tenderloin

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/164137/tenderloin-not-to-be-confused-with-a-loin

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/157083/pecan-smoked-pork-tenderloin-w-pina-colata-grilled-shrimp

So tonights will be basically the same......

Seperate the two two pieces of meat, you always get two tenderloins to a pack. Look before you buy, sometimes they fill the bag with bits & pieces, thats no good!

Then rinse, pat dry and remove the silver skin. One of the above threads shows how.

I usuallytie up or truss the muscle to help it hold its shape and to try and keep a uniform size. Again shown on one of the above threads.

After removal you are ready to rub. Any rub you like. All I use is Ancho Chili pepper, salt, and some garlic. Then I roll up in plastic wrap and allow to set in the reefer a day or two.

Smoker, close the vent and turn on high.

Remove the plastic wrap, and re-rub and this time add brown sugar for that nice candy coating. Well it holds all the moisture in the meat and it offsets the earthy mild pepper with a touch of sweet when finished.

Reduce smoker to 200 degrees.

Throw on the smoker and walk away for 1 hour.

Where is the pictures? Ok Ok..... No sense warming that MES40 for a tenderloin.

I used appple hickory. I used wetted chips. Its that delay time till smoke starts that better allows the meat to come up to the low end of the premium absorption temp. Remmeber 100 to about 140 IT applies the best smoke.

So when it comes out, let it sit to redistribute juices. And slice.

One tenderloin will feed four adults or 1 1/2 teenage boys who had an afternoon snack. LOL

And the Bear-View!

Store bought rolls, I have other things going on right now...LOL

Recap

Clean, remove silverskin, rub, wrap, in the reefer.

Next day, start the smoker, remove the plastic, rub with sugar (not the plastic the meat).

Throw it in the smoker, walk away.

Return in an hour, probe and check smoke, adjust the IT.

Pull at 145 IT, rest and slice.

Great inexpensive meal, and wonderful sandwiches the next day!

I post these in case someone has not tryed them yet. They are definately are worth a try.

Thanks for checking it out yet even again!

2. so ms smoker

so ms smoker Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Nice looking tenderloins Foam!

Mike

3. foamheart

Thank you , have not noticed you around lately, glad to see your back.

4. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks like a big tender loin.

Ours aren't that big.

Looks tasty thou.

5. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Thanks , Kevin . Always good to know the mistakes and record them in our 'Log Book'  for reference.

Have a good 9-11 Day , Remember the 'Heros' . . .

6. foamheart

You ought to try one, they would fit good on a mini......

They are tender to begin with, but then add low and slow smoked, they are better than fork tender.

No brine needed, juicy, and tastes like pork with no adders. Really delicious!

7. mdboatbum

mdboatbum Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That looks absolutely gorgeous Foam!! I like that it's simple, but I'm sure it tastes anything but simple. Great pics too.

8. foamheart

Yes sir, its always good to know what you did. So ya know where ya going. But the more I go the better I usually like where I started.....LOL

These tenderloins are really nice with little or no prep.

9. foamheart

Thank you sir, I have seen your photos and its indeed a compliment comming from you.

10. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Thanks for posting again, I will have to try this recipe. It looks superb !

11. brooksy

brooksy Master of the Pit

The tenderloin of pork is one of the favorites when we have parties and yours looks wonderful Mr Foam! Might have to do some this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

12. crazymoon

I realized that your recipe for the rub doesn't show measurements. Am I looking at the wrong posts or is it a willy nilly sort of measurement like my grandmother used to do ?

13. foamheart

You're welcome, and Thank you.

Its always a crowd pleaser, and it is so simple
    You'll enjoy it, just keep it simple. Make sure and use good pepper in the rub cause that brown sugar makes it really stand out without being overpowered with the heat. I really like the Ancho with it.

14. foamheart

Probably, usually unless I specify a rub, I just sprinkle on salt, cracked  black. In this case it is Ground Ancho and a touch of garlic. Thats no real fancy rub like different chefs here will spell out. I, for the most part am a minimalist. A little salt and pepper, and I am good. I like letting the meat taste like the meat. Spices and herbs should for the most part accent the meat, not high-light it.

I am just a simple country boy, that might explain the attitude.

15. My fav cut of pork is the tenderloin. So easy and so tender and tasty. Thanks to your post I am going to smoke a couple soon. Usually when I do tenderloins I do them indoors.....I make pork tenderloin with Cassis (black currant liquour) and currants. Served over saffron rice mmmmmm.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  16. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I've seen your previous posts and these look as good. I must give it a try.

I have done a couple of quick smokes of a tenderloin on the mini but want to try your method. Thanks for posting again!

Disco

17. crazymoon

Ok, I will try it this weekend if the local (and only store) has some tenderloin in stock. I'll try equal parts of all the ingredients except the garlic. Thanks again !

18. foamheart

Thank you, You'll happy with the outcome I am sure. I sometimes use tenderloin in my jambalaya when trying to impress (and I can't find pork temples, oysters we call 'em)
    I love grilled foods, but low and slow has its own niche. These simply fall apart when you pick up your fork. I am betting you show me a thing our two before you are finished, as usual.
    They are great. I actually started slow grilling them long ago for tailgate partys. Smoking makes them even more tender if that can be imagined.

19. crazymoon

I bought a tenderloin and wrapped it and seasoned it according to your recipe . I'll smoke it tomorrow, can't wait looks good ! CM

20. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Awesome lookin tenderloin Foam & that final plated shot..... Yum ! Y'all sure had some good eats ! Thumbs Up