[Easter Dinner]: Leg of Lamb and Lamb Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MileHighSmokerGirl

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 29, 2019
Denver, CO
I picked up some leg of lamb and some lamb ribs for Eastee dinner.

What is the best rub for the ribs? How do you smoke these? Any different than smoking pork ribs?

Also what about smoking the leg of lamb? Best rub?

0053A543-C223-451D-A38F-B7BC92A48764.jpeg
101D3EF7-8B49-473E-94AD-39B2E7234B1E.jpeg

Reactions: JLeonard
I am also interested. Have a rack and leg in the freezer planning to smoke soon but have never smoked lamb.

In prep I found a recipe for a smoked leg using this combo for a dry rub that looked appealing and was going to be my starting point.
  • 1-1/2 Tbs. kosher salt
  • 1-1/2 Tbs. dried rosemary, crushed
  • 1 Tbs. coarse black pepper
  • 1/2 Tbs. dried thyme
  • 1/2 Tbs. dried sage
  • 1-1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
  • 1 tsp. red chili pepper flakes
Suggested that rub leg with EVOO prior to applying rub. I was going to leave out the pepper flakes because my wife does not like them.

Also found this a garlic & herb paste that was interesting. I may actually try the spices above on the leg and this paste on the rack. Still contemplating.

Garlic and Herb Paste
  • 1 cup olive oil
  • 6 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
  • 10 garlic cloves
  • 12 rosemary sprigs
  • 12 thyme sprigs
  • 4 shallots
  • 1/2 cup kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons black pepper
Combine all in a food processor to make the paste then rub the entire leg or rack.

Anyone else have success with other options, I am also interested.

Mark

The lamb ribs is actually rack of lamb (from the picture). This is actually the equivalent of a bone in rib eye roast, or new York (depending on it came from the front or back). You may be able to smoke like pork ribs, not sure on that. But typically these would be cooked to a med-rare. You can do a reverse sear on them as a rack. You can cut them apart and grill (I like them cut into two bones personally for extra thickness). Either way they are typically treated like a steak, vs low and slow. If you do cook them lie and slow, report back! Would love to see how it went.

Reactions: JLeonard
Here is an idea for the leg of lamb that I did a couple years back. It’s nice and adds a few more flavors and textures for those that may not like lamb straight up. Good luck with your cooks!

Reactions: MileHighSmokerGirl
I think i’m going to use this recipe and method for the Rack of Lamb.

Undecided on the lamb leg.

Hey all quick question.

The rack of lamb and a lamb leg that I took out of the freezer Friday afternoon. I put it in the sink to thaw. I woke up Friday night to go to work and it was still frozen. So I put it in the microwave to thaw (did not turn the microwave just placed it in there with the door closed). Well I forgot to put it in the fridge Saturday morning after I got home from work. :emoji_face_palm:

It’s not any good to eat is it, even if I smoke it to a safe temp?

I've been cooking lamb racks and small roasts on my Weber for over 40 years, indirect with a few hickory chunks, pull it at a IT of about 130º. Just S&P, no weeds. RAY

What was the temp of the meat when you got it out of the microwave?
Room temp. Didnt check it. Just stuck it in the fridge. Was hoping it was ok but I’m having doubts and dont want to get sick.

Took it out 2 pm on Friday afternoon. Stuck it in the microwave at 10:35 pm Friday night. It’s been in there until 9:40 am this morning (all times mountain).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky