Dutch's "Wicked Baked Beans"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Has there been a consensus on the flavor of Bush's to be used for this recipe? original? homestyle? maple?

Does the original recipe call for white or yellow onion?

I don't think so. I've only used Original and Homestyle. It's plenty rich, so it might be overkill to go with any of the more sweet or bold flavors. I'm not even sure what flavors were available when he first came up with this recipe. Of course, as always, your personal preference is the way to go. I prefer yellow onions (or vidalia when available).

I thought I had posted this a long time ago but didn't find it if I did. This was from a friend's Harley biker party that we hosted several years ago. Close to 50 bikers cleaned us out of beans! I use the larger can of pineapple chunks (20 oz) and a whole pound of bacon. Probably made these 40 times and always get rave reviews. Thanks Dutch!

Dutch_s_Wicked_Baked_Beans.jpg

My first batched was A bit on the spicy side. Wife like that enought that sh wants me to improvise the recipe as we do not have the exact ingredients. We will see. No pineapple.

Has there been a consensus on the flavor of Bush's to be used for this recipe? original? homestyle? maple?

I used the Original. As for white or yellow onion, I used whatever I had on hand.

I tried these beans last summer. I made 2 aluminum pans. Followed the recipe to a T. I was also doing a brisket and a pork butt. I threw in the fat shavings from the brisket on top of the beans, just to add a little fat to them.

[SNIP]

SO,to the original owner of this recipe, I say THANK YOU.

Jenny says Thanks as well!!
levithan9, you're most welcome. And tell Jenny she has great taste!

Preference on wood and # chunks for this? I've never done anything besides meat so I would hate to overpower it with too much hickory or something like that.

Nah, just throw them in the last few hours of smoking your meat...though I would not position them so meat drippings fall into beans...seems to dilute the flavor too much...

Reactions: mng024
I followed the recipe, then added a few "extrees".
A bit of Maple syrup, touch of powdered honey, and extra Apple wood smoke.
I doubled the batch, but added two 15 ounce cans of Black Beans, instead of all Bush's. Gave it more eye appeal.

Yumm, great beans Dutch!
Thank You for sharing the recipe!

The Jalapeno's scared my wife off from the first batch, but curiosity brought her to taste them. Now she raves about them. She wanted me to make them for the Big Feed tomorrow. Got a big 6 qt. crock pot full.

I have probably made these beans at least a hundred times over the years. I have strayed from Dutch's original recipe quite a bit. I now add back strap molasses, powered smoked garlic, ancho chili powder. A shot of apple jack whiskey pulled pork and or bacon. I usually always remove seeds and veins from jalapeno to control the heat as I use chili powder. Usually ancho or sometimes chipolte depending what I have on hand. A generous amount of cbp is usually added as well as well as a good rub blend. I always use Bush's beans. I buy #10 cans by the case from a local food service company and they sell Bush's Bean Pot beans and they work very well. Substituting peaches for the pineapple is a nice change now and again.

I do a lot of event cooking during the summer and these beans are made every time. Invariably I will get asked for the recipe from someone at the event which I'm always willing to share the basic recipe because mine is usually never exactly the same twice.
So thanks Dutch for this recipe it has served me very well over the years!

I have probably made these beans at least a hundred times over the years. I have strayed from Dutch's original recipe quite a bit. I now add back strap molasses, powered smoked garlic, ancho chili powder. A shot of apple jack whiskey pulled pork and or bacon. I usually always remove seeds and veins from jalapeno to control the heat as I use chili powder. Usually ancho or sometimes chipolte depending what I have on hand. A generous amount of cbp is usually added as well as well as a good rub blend. I always use Bush's beans. I buy #10 cans by the case from a local food service company and they sell Bush's Bean Pot beans and they work very well. Substituting peaches for the pineapple is a nice change now and again.

I do a lot of event cooking during the summer and these beans are made every time. Invariably I will get asked for the recipe from someone at the event which I'm always willing to share the basic recipe because mine is usually never exactly the same twice.
So thanks Dutch for this recipe it has served me very well over the years!

cbp?

Soooo....

I made these beans on Sunday before Christmas, and in the chaos of shopping, getting the grandkids, buying food, dropping off gifts, buying charcoal.....I FORGOT THE TO BUY THE PINEAPPLE !!!

So I left them out.

Big mistake. They did not taste like the beans they were supposed to be. A tad more spice than i'm used to, and no sweetness, not even from the brown sugar.

A note to future bean makers....DO NOT FORGET THE PINEAPPLE !!!

levithan9, shhh, I've done that before. Get all the ingredients to make my bean and realized I had no pineapple. Luckily I found a can of Apple sauce so I used that instead.

husker, I basically use whatever I have on hand. Normally I'll use the Original Bush's beans, but when I use the Maple I'll cut back on the amount of brown sugar. I've even used the Store brand generic pork and beans.
I use yellow onion since that's what Ma Dutch stocks the panty with. I find that the yellow onion will keep longer than the white or red onions.
YMMV!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky