Dutch's "Wicked Baked Beans"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Although I've made these plenty of times , I can't remember how many people/ servings it makes.  last time I think I doubled it for a party and it all went. Thank you in advance.

Me and the wife have made these numerous times, we normally will get 2 117oz cans of beans at sams. 3lbs of bacon, 15 jalapenos, 3 onions, 1 bell pepper, 2 cans of crushed pineapple, we use Famous Daves Devil Spit BB-Q sauce instead of the ketchup. On the occasion we will use a homemade pepper that has been dehydrated and ground up instead of dry mustard. Once all is mixed and ready we will pull off what we need at the time and then freeze the rest (not smoked yet), until we need them again. It works out great with my schedule, and they taste great.

Hey Dutch, thanks for the recipe.  We do your beans in the smoker just about every time we smoke.  Last time I did ribs I put the skirt meat and all of the rib ends in after smoking for about three hours, and it was the bomb!  My wife wants me to put the entire rack of ribs into the beans in the future. :-)

I have a question for you all.  I'm smoking a pork butt right now, and I'm thinking of cutting off a pound or so when IT reaches 170 degrees, cube it, and put it into the beans.  Thoughts?  And is 170 about right?  I'm choosing that because that's what I've read is a good temp for starting pork burnt ends...

Thanks!

Gerry

Last edited:
These were a huge hit along with my so-so spare ribs, and that's saying something as I watch confusedly as fewer and fewer of my people go for beans at all.

These beans are always a hit when I smoke them! Question is, has anyone paired them with Texas style ribs? Does the sweetness of the beans work with the salt and pepper style ribs?

They pair well, it's a nice combination of sweet and savory.

Hey Dutch,

I remember reading somewhere in this thread about the beans having more liquid in the can than previously. This is only the case if you buy from Walmart or Sam's Club. To meet their stringent price points Bush's reduces the bean to liquid ratio while still canning 55oz. Well known fact in the industry. Buy a 12 roll pack of toilet paper at the grocery store and buy the "same" pack at Walmart, you'll be surprised at the time difference you go through it.

NCtim

Hey Dutch, thanks for the recipe.  We do your beans in the smoker just about every time we smoke.  Last time I did ribs I put the skirt meat and all of the rib ends in after smoking for about three hours, and it was the bomb!  My wife wants me to put the entire rack of ribs into the beans in the future. :-)

I have a question for you all.  I'm smoking a pork butt right now, and I'm thinking of cutting off a pound or so when IT reaches 170 degrees, cube it, and put it into the beans.  Thoughts?  And is 170 about right?  I'm choosing that because that's what I've read is a good temp for starting pork burnt ends...

Thanks!

Gerry
I always put pulled pork in Dutch's beans. Lots of it!
biggrin.gif
I have doctored Dutch's original recipe quite a bit. A little chipolte chili powder, couple Tbls. molasses, a shot of whiskey Crown Royal Apple whiskey really adds a nice flavor. Try substituting peaches for the pineapple every once in awhile for a different twist.

Reactions: thebig1

Thanks!
Gerry

I always put pulled pork in Dutch's beans. Lots of it! :biggrin: I have doctored Dutch's original recipe quite a bit. A little chipolte chili powder, couple Tbls. molasses, a shot of whiskey Crown Royal Apple whiskey really adds a nice flavor. Try substituting peaches for the pineapple every once in awhile for a different twist.

never thought about substituting out the pineapple for another fruit. Great Idea.

Did these yesterday, and very mindful of what my mom used to make when we were kids.  Liked them, and couple of observations:

1.  I bought the 55 oz. can labeled "Original", but after the fact, I noticed that it had brown sugar and bacon added.  I'd dial back the cup worth of additional brown sugar next time, as we found it silly sweet this way, or grab another can that wasn't brown sugar added from the get-go.

2.  Used a whole poblano in place of the half green bell--more robust flavor than the bell .

3.  Had a cored fresh pineapple in the fridge, and used it.  I liked it, but family didn't care for the larger 1/2" cubes that I'd cut--will either chop smaller or use the crushed it calls for next time.

4.  Didn't find it to be too hot at all (as was mentioned in the original recipe) with the dry mustard and the japs, but I'm not a good barometer for heat, either. 

Thanks for the recipe, Dutch--I'd do this again.  As illustrated by the ≈30 pages of different adds/deletes, there's no end to playing with this dish.

I used your recipe to go with my first attempt at smoking brisket on the 4th of July, Independence Day, and it came out great.  As others have said, they are even better the next day.  I subbed Sweet Baby Ray's barbeque sauce for the ketchup.and cut the brown sugar to 3/4 cup and thought they were still plenty sweet.  Might even try 1/2 cup next time as there is lots of sugar in the beans and in the bbq sauce.  Also might try using pineapple tidbits next time.  Oh, and I used two jalapenos and a full tsp of dry mustard.  I cooked them in my smoker just above the brisket for the last two and a half hours of my cooking time.  Just guessed at how much longer it would take to finish the brisket and put them in accordingly.  Thanks for the great recipe!

I have been making these beans since dutch released the recipe in 2006.(damn,  time flies when your eating good ) I have always made a double batch as they only get better in the freezer. I couldn't figure out why everyone thought they were spicy at all? i just chalked it up to being from Louisiana. We eat a lot of spicy , seasoned food.

After 10+ years of making these beans i realized that i was using the #10 size cans of beans x 2 . that's 218oz. which is twice the size of a double batch. i need to go to 4 times the amount of all the veggies and seasonings. going to try it again next weekend for a party with the proper recipe,

I've made these several times for small groups, but would like to make a large batch for an event I am cooking for on Saturday. Serving about 125 people with other sides, so thinking of doing 1 roaster of beans, just a guesstimate tho. This is a long thread and may be covered somewhere already, but I'm looking for a scaled version of this recipe that will get me close to filling a roaster pan.

Thanks in advance.

Also, can these be made and smoked a day ahead of serving, then warmed back up? Or best to smoke the day of the big meal? Thanks again

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky