Dutch's "Wicked Baked Beans"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've made these several times for small groups, but would like to make a large batch for an event I am cooking for on Saturday. Serving about 125 people with other sides, so thinking of doing 1 roaster of beans, just a guesstimate tho. This is a long thread and may be covered somewhere already, but I'm looking for a scaled version of this recipe that will get me close to filling a roaster pan.

Thanks in advance.
Just made these this weekend for a wedding of 250. I made 4 #10 cans. If you're talking about the large turkey roasting pans you can pretty easily fit 2 #10 cans plus all the other ingredients that you need. I add a couple pounds of pulled pork to a batch that size so it takes up more room. People rave about these beans. So much so that sometimes I have to remind people I made other stuff to ya know how were the ribs and pulled pork?
biggrin.gif
For 2 # 10 cans I use 4 cups of brown sugar and 4 cups ketchup but been scaling it back just a bit. I don't pack the brown sugar and sometimes it's not a full measured cup same with ketchup. After that it's a sliding scale of the other ingredients. These beans go a long way especially if you add pulled pork, After the wedding I had maybe two pounds of beans left. Lots of other sides were available as well.

Reactions: Mario Trettenero
Dutch, thank you for sharing this. I made them yesterday for the first time, they were delicious!

I made a single batch, and started light. 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, and 1/2 Tbsp dry ground mustard. I'd be fine with a little more heat, so next time I may try 2 jalapenos, and maybe reduce the brown sugar a bit. I used B&M Original beans, and crushed pineapple.

I just got my smoker, so I'm new at this. I should have thought to hold back some of the mix, and make it in the oven, just to help compare how much flavor the smoking adds.

Glad you liked them. The day will come (if it hasn't already) that when you talk about doing some Que the family will ask "Doing the Wicked Beans too?"
I have made these 5 times now and everybody raves about them.  Thanks Dutch for making me look like a smoking genius...

And you were correct every time I mention that I am firing up the smoker they all insist that I do them Wicked Good Beans.

Reactions: Dutch
These beans stole the show over my pulled pork. I tossed these under the pork butt for the first 3 hours and through them in the fridge until it was time for dinner..tossed them in a crock pot and reheated them and I could hear all of the people in the background just raving abut them.
Thank you so much

Last edited:
Wife LOVES the original minus the pineapple and jalapenos! I have a friend who does not eat pork, and I have made this dish using Bush's vegetarian beans and adding burnt ends from a brisket instead of bacon, she is a huge fan as well!! Thanks for such a versatile recipe Dutch!!

Do you use dark brown sugar or light brown sugar?
 Smooch, I have used dark brown sugar and the regular brown sugar. I basically use whatever Ma Dutch has in the pantry. Dark brown sugar contains more molasses than the regular brown sugar.

Wife LOVES the original minus the pineapple and jalapenos! I have a friend who does not eat pork, and I have made this dish using Bush's vegetarian beans and adding burnt ends from a brisket instead of bacon, she is a huge fan as well!! Thanks for such a versatile recipe Dutch!!
Pagan, Make 'em up as you see fit. I have a friend that is allergic to pineapple and I used apple sauce to replace the pineapple. 

I've done the beans with smoked shredded pot roast with good results.

These beans stole the show over my pulled pork. I tossed these under the pork butt for the first 3 hours and through them in the fridge until it was time for dinner..tossed them in a crock pot and reheated them and I could hear all of the people in the background just raving abut them.
Thank you so much
88rxna, thank you for sharing your experience. These ol' beans sure get around. Plan on being asked to "bring your beans" next time your invited to a cook-out!

Dutch, thank you for sharing this. I made them yesterday for the first time, they were delicious!

I made a single batch, and started light. 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, and 1/2 Tbsp dry ground mustard. I'd be fine with a little more heat, so next time I may try 2 jalapenos, and maybe reduce the brown sugar a bit. I used B&M Original beans, and crushed pineapple.

I just got my smoker, so I'm new at this. I should have thought to hold back some of the mix, and make it in the oven, just to help compare how much flavor the smoking adds.
Well, RedOctobyr- when you're just starting out you got to experiment to find just how you like them. AS for which bean to use- I've used them all from well known brand to store brand. The only complaint I have ever received was "Where did all the beans go?" 
thumb1.gif

20171224_153636.jpg

Smoking today for a few hours with hickory for Christmas dinner side for honey baked ham... Love the recipe dutch... Sometimes the jalapenos are spicier than other times... This time I doubled the recipe and used 4 jalapenos 2 with seeds and 2 without... Still wasn't spicy so I added a little cayenne to get just enough heat. Merry Christmas, and blessings from God to all.

I finally am going to try this recipe. I will be making them tomorrow with I brisket I plan to start tonight. Hope all goes well. Looking forward to the meal. Might smoke some corn on the cob with them. I will let you know how they turned out.

I gave these a second try after my first attempt didnt turn out that well. I followed the directions except:
I used a full onion and full green pepper
Half the ketchup and brown sugar
Drained the pineapple and most of the liquid off the top of the can of beans.

I put them in the smoker directly under the pork butt to catch the drippings. The beans turned out really good! The pork butt was good as usual but found it to be even better when I mixed it in with the beans.

I think next time I will use a full onion and green pepper again, but will also use full amounts of brown sugar and ketchup as well.

So question: is the pineapple supposed to be drained? Do any of you cook the beans in the smoker but dont put it under the meat for drippings? and does that still turn out good?

I tried these beans last summer. I made 2 aluminum pans. Followed the recipe to a T. I was also doing a brisket and a pork butt. I threw in the fat shavings from the brisket on top of the beans, just to add a little fat to them.

The pork butt and 1 pan was for my neighbor, Jenny. She watches my house when i go out of town, and sends me pictures from her security camera if anyone comes by. She also waters my grass, because everyone on the street wants to know how i keep it sooo green. Jenny included.

The deal I made with Jenny is that, no matter what, her honest opinion is what i needed. It's the only way to get better when doing something. I use her as my test subject when trying something different, mostly because my wife won't eat a lot...and i mean A LOT...of what I make.

I must clear my conscience here, as i fear I have created a addict out of my neighbor. She craves these beans. She NEEDS these beans. She must have these beans. If she sees my smoker out in the front yard, i'm getting text messages from her asking when the beans are gonna be ready!!

I've adjusted the recipe to 1/2 a cup of ketchup and 1/2 a cup of brown sugar, just to cut down on the sweetness, and added 1 table spoon of cayenne pepper, and used a half of slab of bacon. Jenny likes spicy food. I throw the beans in my Masterbuilt 40" and let cook for about 4 hours. Gives it a nice "crust" on the top layer. She knows to remove the fat trimmings from the brisket.

SO,to the original owner of this recipe, I say THANK YOU.

Jenny says Thanks as well!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky