Dutch oven clean-up

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I was able to save the DO that I cooked 'sgetti" in....just took a while to get the surface rust off...yes I left the sauce in it for a few days.  Sauce tasted bad too.  But was a young one and didn't know better.  The iron skillet that I use for cornbread and biscuits....is just divine!  There is someone on Pinterest who collects old antique ones and restores them.  She/he uses oven cleaner (lye based) and gets all of the junk and rust off then greases them back up.  I prefer elbow grease and what has been mentioned by ncdodave.

Last edited:
Well I didn't read all the ways that was given But..I was raised up eating food from the Griswold's & Wagner's My mom owned & used them daily . She would have me or one of my siblings build a fire in the fire place or out doors in the summer . She would bring what she wanted cleaned & put them in the fire till they turned red. then take them out & let them cool . Take them in &  wash them with dish soap. rinse them off. Then place them on the Elect. range filled with what ever cooking oil she had . Let them come to a boil . then pour the oil into another . when they were cool she then put them back in the dish water & give them a lite wipe out. Before she would put them away a lite coat of the oil was put on & in them. She would never scrub them  After use she would again wash with a lite wipe  & again oil them lightly .  I still have them &  use the D O & Frying pan when I go camping . When I Season them I use olive oil.

Man, there's more way suggested than 'Carter has Peanuts'.

I use a Green Pad and hot water followed by heating to dry and an oiling.Period.

Just sayin' , have fun and...

Yep!  As long as they don't get soaped up, a good and gentle scrubbing with hot water will do it.

Then gently bring up to heat before storing.

If you fry in them often enough, you won't have to oil them that often.

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky