Dumb question for MES users

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

larrym

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Halfway up mountain in Tn
I seem to be having a lot of issues with temp and it is more then likely me then smoker but a dumb question here.

When I preheat to 225f and then put in whatever I am smoking, temp always goes down.  That I can understand.  Do I leave the thermostat where it is and let it come back up to temp or do I start adjusting it to get it back up to 225 quickly, then of course have to keep adjusting to get it to stay there.  I notice sometimes when I put the meat in that even after a couple of mins, the thermostat hasnt kicked back on , so I start messing with it.  What do you other MES users do ?

Leave it be.The heating element will cycle on and off and the range could vary greatly(215 ~ 245) for various reason.When I first got mine I dinked around with it and noticed the smokers thermastat isnt bad, atleast where the smokers temp sensor is.The rack below the temp will be greater and the racks above will be lower. I use an exetrnal probes to monitor my meat internal temp and smoker.But to stay on point ...leave the temp as is,it will cycle but that's normal.Have fun.

Hi Larry

i smoke with MES30'  and it is normal for the temp to drop Because you opened the door .

it will go back to 225 in few minuets leave it don't worry .it is long smoke .

i hope that you checked that you MES prob gives the right temp reading?

if not check it with anther thermometer.

and try not to open the smoker door .

Thanks guys.  Am headed out to find something about 4lbs or so,, roughly 6 hours of smoke time.  I wont be marinating over night but will give it a good rub,, I am more concerned with getting temp right and pull texture.

Yup, what was already said.

Also, in the Summer, you will find that once it reaches it's target temp, it will coast quite a bit above it after it shuts off, and in the Winter it will fall quite a bit even after the element comes on, so just leave it alone, and try not to open the door (LOL---That's why I like the glass door in mine---I like to peek!!).

A lot of cold meat will make it work harder, but unless there is something wrong with your smoker, it will get there.

Now if you're going to put a lot of meat in there, like 3 butts, or 3 chuckies, or more, you might want to use 240˚ or 250˚, instead of 225˚.

My 2 Piasters,

Bear

Qview on new thread under Pork section.  This is of course the before pic but everything looks like it should :)  I have to practice more patience as I know this isnt like working on computers.  I promise not to touch it for 4 hours.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky