Duck prosciutto....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dernektambura

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Kitchener, Ontario...
Two duck breasts, total weight 700 grams... will use equilibrium cure metod, cure #2, wrapped in collagen sheets and stuffed in butcher net... I will post pics as progressing....
duck breasts = 700 grams
salt @ 2% = 14 grams
cure #2 @ 0.25% = 1.75 grams
KEG spice @ 0.50% = 3.5 grams...

Using "soft vacuum" package metod to allow juices to freely bath duck breasts...
20191006_103740.jpg
20191006_103801.jpg
20191006_103856.jpg

I am in.

Interesting approach with the collagen sheets. How do they handle the meat shrinkage? Will they stay stuck to the meat surface as it dries?

How long do you estimate it will take to dry?

I have a pile of ducks...i might steal your idea instead of my old school "naked" drying.

I am in.

Interesting approach with the collagen sheets. How do they handle the meat shrinkage? Will they stay stuck to the meat surface as it dries?

How long do you estimate it will take to dry?

I have a pile of ducks...i might steal your idea instead of my old school "naked" drying.
I have used collagen sheets in the past with 50/50 percent success rate up until about year ago.... ordered collagen sheets from Australia an bingo... they shrink amd stick to meat as same as natural casings... only difference is that collagen sheets are very playable but not elastic as natural casings...

Vacuum curing will take at least 7 days to get 100% equilibrium and drying/aging to 25% weight loss at 75% humidity....

wrapped in collagen and stuffed in butcher net... cold smoking time for about 6 hr @ 50F..

Question for atomicsmoke:
For how long do you cold smoke duck breasts ? I would like to be able to fully taste duck meat flavour with just a hint of apple wood smoke...
20191012_073735.jpg

Last edited:
Nicely done. They will have a perfext shape when done.

I smoke single breasts with at least one tray of amzn tray (10-11h). Your being wrapped probably could use more smoke.

Let me clarify...i have a heavy hand when it.comes to smoke. My "smokiness" level might be too much for others.

How many breats in a wrap?

Me, being from Balkans, like smokiness on heavy side too but this is first time for me to make duck prosciutto so I dont want it to smoky......I'll start with 6 hrs...
there is one duck breast per wrap...
BTW...Thanks for your help and advises..

Me, being from Balkans, like smokiness on heavy side too but this is first time for me to make duck prosciutto so I dont want it to smoky......I'll start with 6 hrs...
there is one duck breast per wrap...
BTW...Thanks for your help and advises..
You can't go wrong with duck prosciutto smoke or no smoke.

UPDATE....
First of all...thank you Atomicsmoke for your duck prosciutto postings.... great deal learning from them...
Duck prosciutto, smoked cheeze and bacon bits....
20191106_161529.jpg

ok.... something is missing on my taste palate.... I added some KEG spice (very sparsely).... I love duck fat taste.... its rich and heavy on positive side.... at some point reminded me of smoked pork jowl in taste richness.... but something is missing.... some spice perhaps?..... something that I perhaps overlooked?
Atomicsmoke, you're how to make duck prosciutto living bible on this site...what is it?

Last edited:
This new format sucks...took me a few seconds to figure how to type the reply on my phone.

Sorry buddy...can't help you...not a "spice fan" when it comes to dried meats. Especially whole muscle. The rich duck meat taste, concentrated in flavour due to drying, softened by that layer of fat. Who needs spices?what spices do they use on parma prosciutto? Exactly.
Uncork that pear brandy and have another plate of those great looking goodies.
Great job. If i didnt have a decent stock of duck prosciutto i'd jump in the car and pay you a visit.
I hardly wrote the bible on how-to....i am just a follower.
Hate the new format...had to scroll while typi ng...my text would disappear behind ads.

Bacon bits...i know what those are....they are not bacon but they are just as good.

What's the better half's impression about the prosciutto?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky