Dual UDS Design needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

funk

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
I came across two 55 gallon drums for just a few dollars and my thought is to have one be the firebox and the other on top as the cooker.  Here is my main issue,  I know nothing about welding nor do I know anyone that welds.  Can I accomplish this idea without welding?   I am also looking for specific plans if anyone has any for me.  I am somewhat handy with tools, but I think this will be a fun project.  I just have to figure out what I need.  Thanks.

mike

There are stove kits that make a 55gal drum into a wood burning stove. I have seen a couple builds where cutting was involved but all attachments were made with bolts and gaskets. I will try to find a link for you.

Just as Omenusmc said they can be put together using bolts only with the stove kits but they will leak and wont be as efficient. Google "double barrel smoker". When I was thinking of doing a drum build I was using some of those pictures and info as references. Lots of good info out there under the double barrel name.

Yeah, you have to weld this thing. Here is my build.

You can certainly build a single drum with no welds, as you probably already know. There were instructions floating around the web.

Yeah, you have to weld this thing. Here is my build.

You can certainly build a single drum with no welds, as you probably already know. There were instructions floating around the web.

Im Wanting to build one like this. Im actually going off of your picture but was wondering what the dimensions are for your door on the top barrel.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky