Building a Drum Pit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rus_bro

Original poster
Jul 21, 2021
Greetings all,

So with all this extra time around having 2 small kids, figured its time to replace the old Weber Kettle (replace is what i tell the wife before adding another cooker). Cant nail down exactly what i want to buy SO a buddy of mine gave me an old 55gal drum and another let me borrow a Mig Welder. I have little to no actual metal working experience NOR do i know how to weld. WHAT CAN GO WRONG.

Basically wondering if anyone has thoughts on design of the pit? I am leaning towards cutting the barrel in half OVER cutting 1/4 of it for the opening. This way i can open her up and go open fire cooking easier. I am planning on getting a tail pipe from autozone for the stack, and I am going to figure the rest of it as i go.

Any thoughts or advise?

PS.... spent an hour with the welder and a sheet of metal (and my 17yo nephew on snapchat) a couple of nights ago. SOOO im basically a pro now.

rb

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky