4th Welding Project: Very Ambitious Vertical Cabinet Smoker Build (Long & Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That is a thing of beauty Robert. Your skills look like you have been doing this for quite some time .

Very nice that looks great

Nice work, Robert, you did real good for the tools you're using or lacking.
I'm impressed!!!

Good morning Robert, I am very glad to see your post here . As a few times I was going to PM and see if all was good. Glad your absence was just from very busy at work. There , now all good.

Now for your handy work , this is great and you have said to me to not be so hard on myself, so there you go. :emoji_wink:
These are great works , and you should be and I know you are proud of them. We always find things we want to change with what we do most of the time. So back in the pool with a Margarita and you thinking sun cap if you really think it needs improvement. I also am not a metal fabricator or designer, but from my view it all made sense

And the Ribs look good

Glad you are back and had a great Christmas

David

You HAVE been busy for sure! Very nice build all around! But be careful building smokers is addicting.....

That said, the only tool that will make your next build easier is a low RPM Metal cir saw and maybe a low RPM chop saw.... these baby’s will make fab work way faster! These are the only other tools I have beyond what you mentioned above....although I do have 4 - angle grinders 3 - 4.5” and a vari speed 5 inch.....this way I don’t have to spend time changing out wheels/discs, just grab the one out fitted as needed.....I didn’t have these when I did my builds but now have a portable band saw w/mini table and a 2x72 grinder. I’m thinking my next couple of builds will be easier with the extra tools..

and...

Keep building! PS I really like that vertical! I’ve thought about doing a smaller one for the house as well....just too many ideas in the head but I’m glad I’m not alone!!!!

Wow Robert! Anybody would be proud to have that cabinet on their patio. Incredible job. And you get the extra satisfaction of the build, major conversion piece as well. Very nice work. I bet you could stay as busy as you wanted fabricating on the side. You have come far in a very short time frame. Wouldn’t blame you if your chest was swollen just a little. Big like, Sir.

Thanks so much for all the compliments. You are correct. It was a great conversation piece Christmas day when we had a few friends over for dinner. Insofar as making money on the side, that is not my intention. This is just a hobby that I am enjoying very much. If I can sell one and recoup my expenses, I'm happy. Matter of fact, this one is now listed on Craig's list for sale. It's just far bigger than we need. If this one sells, I'll build a smaller version of it.

Heck yeah Robert! Obviously I saw the finished pic already but this really shows off your skills. Amazing job bud!

Thank you my friend. You're next in line with a birthday coming up :emoji_wink: Just waiting for a couple things to be delivered before I start.

That is a thing of beauty Robert. Your skills look like you have been doing this for quite some time .

Thank you very much. I am / was a very good finish carpenter having built tons of custom cabinets, humidors, and furniture. I try too hard sometimes to attain the same level of detail but it's tough working with steel.

Robert

Very nice that looks great

Thank you Jerry. I appreciate it sir.

Man, Robert! That beast is a beauty! Awesome job my friend!

Very much appreciate it my friend.

Nice work, Robert, you did real good for the tools you're using or lacking.
I'm impressed!!!

Thanks Dan. I took somebody's advice though and ordered a couple new tools that will be here tomorrow. Those should make a huge difference in efficiency and quality.

Robert

Now for your handy work , this is great and you have said to me to not be so hard on myself, so there you go. :emoji_wink:

Touche' and thanks so much David. As noted in a previous reply though, I've done tons of high end custom wood work and am in tune with the level of detail required for that. I try too hard to incorporate the same level of detail with steel and it's a tough row to hoe. Additionally, this design had never been tested as far as I know so it was a crap shoot going in. Having run a couple cooks on it I've decided to make some adjustments to make it more efficient.

That said, the only tool that will make your next build easier is a low RPM Metal cir saw and maybe a low RPM chop saw

Well sir, I can't thank you enough for the advice, which I took to heart. Mentioned these tools to Tracy on the patio over a couple of afternoon beers and she said to go ahead and order them....so I did. They will be here tomorrow and I plan to start a new era in my metal fabricating. Based on all I read, these could be real game changers. As soon as they get here I am planning a new build for another forum member.

Robert

Those are some awesome looking grills and smokers Robert, they are a testament of your skills and very impressive!! Are you sure you’re not starting a business?

Unbelievable!! I would be hard pressed to turn a piece of steel into a griddle top lol. You have just worked magic with metals.

Let the good times roll! At least that is a saying right.... its best to clamp a straight edge for the cir saw it keeps the blade from binding....Oh and would suggest double hearing protection when using they scream but are a dream for cutting and way safer than using the angle grinder!

Wow!!
Nice Job, Robert!!
It's a shame I can't smoke any more, since that thing has my initials on it "J H".
Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky