Dry Beef - Bearcarver Method

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokenharley

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Lancaster Co., PA
I have been wanting to do some dry beef for quite a while and if successful, venison dry beef. I figured I would begin with beef since it's a little easier to replace than my venison if I screw it up. Most of the dry beef I buy from farmers in my area (PA Dutch Country) is brined, very dry, and sliced paper thin. This is a bit different than Bearcarver's but, since it was a little different, I wanted to try it out and see if I could duplicate his results. Frankly, it worked out pretty good. I had less meat and smaller pieces so, until I reached 160 some of the smaller pieces were really dry. No problem; I like it dry for casseroles, eggs, and other goodies. I feel the flavor is more concentrated.

On to the Q-view if we still call it that........The beginnings were slightly less than 4# of top round.

IMG_2747.JPG

Added the cure and brown sugar and packed them up in ziplock bags.

IMG_2749.JPG

I cured them a bit longer than Bearcarver simply due to my schedule. I flipped them everyday for 19 days. On day 20 they came out of the fridge, rinsed, and seasoned for tomorrow's smoke.

IMG_2752.JPG

Seasoned

IMG_2755.JPG

In my electric smoker at 5:30. AMNS started at 5:15.

IMG_2757.JPG

Pulled from the smoker at 8:30 PM - between 158 and 160.

IMG_2758.JPG

I cooled them down to room temp and then to the fridge. Next morning to the freezer for about 3 hours and on to slicing. This is about half of the batch.

IMG_2760.JPG

Final thoughts.......
Good stuff. It's dry enough to use for a variety of dishes as well as sandwiches. My only concern was a somewhat gold color on the ends of the meat when I removed it from the fridge after 19 days. I was assured by a friend who is a chef that the rainbow can be seen in fresh meat as well and nothing to worry about. The meat smelled fine with no odd odors. After cutting the largest piece in half it appeared to be red/dark pink so I figured the cure made it's way through. I had some for breakfast this morning with my eggs so I guess as of this writing at 6:00 PM I will most likely survive.

Thanks for reading guys - now, on to a brine recipe for dry beef.

Thank you Bearcarver (nearly a neighbor) for your post and step x step.

Looks great, I just did dried venison last weekend.

You did an Excellent job on that Dried Beef, Neighbor Harley!!
Looks Great. Like.
And that iridescent Rainbow Sheen is not a problem---Happens a lot--Looks Pretty.
I'm pleasantly surprised yours wasn't a little on the Salty side due to the extra time in cure.
Did you try my favorite Sammy yet?
Dried Beef & American Cheese on fresh white bread, with Miracle Whip (or Mayo).
I used to have 2 of them a day after every Deer season, for a couple months.

Bear

I've made Bear's dried beef a couple times. Great recipe and method. I'll never buy that awful overly salty grocery store stuff again. Thanks Bear.

Reactions: chopsaw
Thanks everyone. I was pleasantly surprised myself. I do like my dry beef a bit on the dry side so it worked out well. Bearcarver, it wasn't overly salty. You could taste some salt but nothing like the store bought stuff that tastes like they dumped a whole shaker in the bag. I never gave it a thought that the longer it's in the cure, the more salty it will become. I'll need to keep that in mind for the next batch. And yes, I do like your favorite sammy - American cheese with mayo. I'm not big on Miracle Whip. I have another twist for ya - I change out the American for my smoked brick cheese. Thanks for the article Jimmyj.

Thanks everyone. I was pleasantly surprised myself. I do like my dry beef a bit on the dry side so it worked out well. Bearcarver, it wasn't overly salty. You could taste some salt but nothing like the store bought stuff that tastes like they dumped a whole shaker in the bag. I never gave it a thought that the longer it's in the cure, the more salty it will become. I'll need to keep that in mind for the next batch. And yes, I do like your favorite sammy - American cheese with mayo. I'm not big on Miracle Whip. I have another twist for ya - I change out the American for my smoked brick cheese. Thanks for the article Jimmyj.

Thank You---I'll have to give that a try when I get some smoked.
Note: extra long curing doesn't hurt with most curing, but can get Salty when Dry Curing too long with TQ. Just so you know that you should check before Smoking, while you can still do something about it.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky