Drop and roll Checkerless Grocery store.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Check out the history of the Piggly Wiggly grocery stores. They were the first to transition to letting the customers roam aisles and pick out their groceries instead of having a clerk, behind a counter, gather items for them. That was considered a cost saving measure and was met with great suspicion because, it was thought, customers would shoplift groceries. It turns out, they did, but the cost savings of not having counter clerks busy filling orders outweighed the loss.

Oh man that sounds great! I would love that…but Utah can be a touch “slow” in some areas. IMO

I always worry about the person that used to scratch out a living running the register .
I have had those reservations on this but anymore people won’t take those jobs. They struggle to fill them making me wait way to long in line. Other than my main shopping day I use the self checkout 99% now. If I could just throw it all in the car and skip the checkout step I’d likely give it a go. I tell ya what soon you will be able to get drive through Amazon surgeries I think!! Fingers in everything.

Self checkout at stores should come with a discount for the buyer, but it's really a way for the company to maximize profits...
Definitely can do that, I suspect with Amazon based though it will also keep prices very competitive. People will adapt well to the business model as it removes the wait in line frustrations and even the self checkout. This will continue to proliferate. In a time where so many people won’t work this becomes a significant solution for some roles.

The whole idea of being scanned when put in cart & being payed for when u hit the door sounds great. Much better than me putting in cart then taking out of cart to scan & bag. Next giving money to machine & getting change back. Seems everybody is going self check out & I don’t like it when I have a good bit of stuff in cart. Don’t mind a few things for its use.

anymore people won’t take those jobs. They struggle to fill them making me wait way to long in line.
I completely agree . My Son works at a grocery store . They have actually upped the wages for those positions and still can't find people . One problem is our age group is retiring , leaving a lot of unfilled spots .

Reactions: jcam222
Unless said person is using my card while im at work. 😂
It'd be the same identity theft that's existed with credit cards for years. And I note that lately banks have gotten very sophisticated at spotting the thieves...I'm always getting texts or emails asking if a purchase was legit.

It'd be the same identity theft that's existed with credit cards for years. And I note that lately banks have gotten very sophisticated at spotting the thieves...I'm always getting texts or emails asking if a purchase was legit.
I totally understand, was just going for a cheap chuckle.

Reactions: bill1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky