Dried Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Winterrider

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 29, 2018
North Dakota
20191016_103050.jpg Ran out of dried beef and figured it was time to spin up another batch and clean out the freezer a bit.
Eye of round all trimmed up, TQ and b. sugar all weighed out and then rubbed. Thickest part was at 3" , so will give it 10-12 days turning daily.
Local store I saw had them on sale @ $3.88/ lb, don't consider that much of a sale. That's what I paid for these a couple months ago.

So tell me more about dried beef. Can I brine in Pops to make it? Going to be whipping a lot of that up for bacon soon. What else do you do to make dried beef? Just smoke and slice thin?

I am out of dried beef and the 2 eyes will stay in the freezer until fall harvest is done (hoping Saturday of Sunday we can get going again.)
Got enough spare and baby back ribs in the freezer to make manifold meals.

Home made dried beef is much better than the factory processed stuff.
I equate it to a beef version of pork loin (Canadian~) bacon.

I have done it both wet and dry brine using Pop's and Bear's recipes as guidelines.
I use cure #1 only and not Tender Quick.
I prefer around 2.25% salt.
I think wet brine works better.
I don't season much outside of powdered onion and garlic.

This is one that I make it a point to never run out of. It's a staple around here and we both love it. This did remind me to check my supply though. We have plenty so still in good shape. Hope yours comes out well!! Matter of fact I'm about whip up a batch of creamed chipped beef and gravy. Great breakfast on a chilly, cloudy, and windy day.

Robert

Something else I need to try.

It's very easy to do and once done, you'll never be without it. There are a number of very viable recipes in here but I did mine based on a recipe by Bear that Holly2015 modified a bit. It's fantastic!!

Robert

Nothing at all against Bear. The man is a genius but where Canadian (Back) bacon is concerned, I went to a Canadian: Disco :emoji_wink: The recipes and process are probably very similar though.

Robert

Nothing at all against Bear. The man is a genius but where Canadian (Back) bacon is concerned, I went to a Canadian: Disco :emoji_wink: The recipes and process are probably very similar though.

Robert

LOL---Yup, I doubt if Disco's is much different than mine.

BTW: Looks Great Winter!!
Like.

Bear

Last edited:
Searching for awhile on pops wet curing brine for dried beef. Schnucks has Certified Angus Beef brand at 3.99/lb for Eye of Round. I won't flip and knead bag daily over the two week cure so I do wet cures. Since water inflows with wet cure do people rest longer in the fridge for the pellicle before starting the ramping smoke at 140? Is the common finished IT 160 or less?

I can't vspeak for beef. But when I do Canadian bacon with this wet cure. I just give it a rinse, pat dry. And leave it in the fridge overnight uncovered. Should be the same for dried beef.

I can't vspeak for beef. But when I do Canadian bacon with this wet cure. I just give it a rinse, pat dry. And leave it in the fridge overnight uncovered. Should be the same for dried beef.
I do as well with back bacon. Just wondered about the dried beef an extra day in the fridge or not and the finished IT.

I do as well with back bacon. Just wondered about the dried beef an extra day in the fridge or not and the finished IT.

An extra day in the fridge won't hurt it. I go to 150 IT. And left it there for a few hours. I wanted to get it a bit dryer.

Searching for awhile on pops wet curing brine for dried beef. Schnucks has Certified Angus Beef brand at 3.99/lb for Eye of Round. I won't flip and knead bag daily over the two week cure so I do wet cures. Since water inflows with wet cure do people rest longer in the fridge for the pellicle before starting the ramping smoke at 140? Is the common finished IT 160 or less?

Best is 160° or higher for Dried Beef
It's called Dried Beef. Less than 160° is getting too close to 140° (Rare Beef), and would be defeating the purpose of "DRIED BEEF".
Both 140° and 160° will taste good, but only one is Dried Beef.

Bear

It's called Dried Beef. Less than 160° is getting too close to 140° (Rare Beef), and would be defeating the purpose of "DRIED BEEF".

Alright Bear, ya done done it again. I'm addicted to your dried beef. Thinking I've made 10 batches or so the past year and a half. Found myself getting perilously low and started another batch yesterday. It's been a very slow week at work. A couple days ago I was done and home by about 7:30 in the morning. It was cold, yucky, raining, and I decided I wanted to do one of our favorites for breakfast: creamed chipped beef and gravy on toast. I'll keep the pics to a bare minimum but here are a couple:

Here is the dried beef out of the freezer and defrosted
015.jpg

Finished product. I'm ready to eat!!
019.jpg

Your dried beef is nothing short of amazing sir. I've share with you how it has positively impacted our lives and that legacy continues. You are THE MAN where this is concerned :emoji_wink:

If Bear speaks dried beef, people listen,
Robert

I quit thinking about how to do wet cure, because I find it lacking in flavor---Kinda "Washed Out". But that's just my opinion---Maybe I've done so much Dry Cure that I'm Spoiled.

Smoked Dried Beef #1
Smoked Dried Beef
Dried Beef (Best Ever)
Smoked Venison Dried Beef
Venison Backstrap Dried Beef
Venison Backstrap Dried Beef #2

Bear
i saw your best ever dried beef recipe that had a few roasts and they varied between 157-160 so that's where i got 160 or less. I use the mobile app and there are no signatures so searching step by step became tedious whereby the computer has your link to click on.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky