Double Smoked Holiday Ham Glazed with Maple Syrup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TulsaJeff

Smoke Whisperer
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
Jun 28, 2005
Tulsa, OK
IMG_7348.jpg

Summarized version of the recipe:

Use a spiral sliced ham (I got mine at Costco for $2.29/lb)

Place the ham into a shallow pan.

Peel back each and every slice and douse with maple syrup and my original rub..(if you have another barbecue rub that you like and is low on salt, that will work too I suppose.)

Smoke for 3 to 4 hours at 225°F (I used pecan wood for smoke)

Glaze about every hour with more maple syrup and rub (½ cup of maple syrup and 2 TBS of my original rub)

When you're all done, remove the slices into a serving tray and pour all of that extra smoky sweetness on top and serve.

If your guests don't go gaga over this, then they should not get invited back next year:emoji_laughing:

Full Version

Helpful Information

• Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 3 hours
  • Smoker Temp: 225°F
  • Meat Finish Temp: 115-120°F
  • Recommended Wood: Pecan
What You'll Need
  • Spiral sliced ham (mine was a 10 pounder)
  • REAL maple syrup (you can get this cheap at club stores like Costco)
  • Jeff's original rub
  • Toothpicks
What Does “Double Smoked” Mean?
I get this question a lot so I figured I'd tackle it right up front– the company that produces the hams have their own process for adding smoked flavor to ham and it's not bad but what we can do in our own smoker is far superior to what they can do on the production line.
Thus when an already smoked or smoke flavored ham is smoked again by you, it's smoked twice or double-smoked.

Step 1: Maple Syrup and Rub
I recommend sitting the ham in a shallow pan.

Peel back each slice and douse it with maple syrup.. go ahead, be generous and live a little!

IMG_3338-700x525.jpeg

IMG_3340-700x525.jpeg

Don't worry about the waste.. that maple syrup that runs down to the pan will mix with the rub and we'll pour that over the ham slices later.

Once every slice is nice and sticky, go back through and peel back every slice giving it a good application of my original rub.

IMG_3341-700x525.jpeg

Don't forget to get that very front piece and the sides and back of the ham as well.

IMG_3342-700x525.jpeg
IMG_3346-700x525.jpeg

As the ham cooks, the slices will sometimes fall over so it's a great idea to pin them in place with some toothpicks.

IMG_3349-700x525.jpeg

The ham is now ready for the smoker.

Step 2: Smoke It
Any smoker will work for this and it only takes about 3 to 4 hours depending on what temperature you are running.

Remember you are not cooking the ham, only warming it through and letting the smoke kiss the ham for a few hours.

Setup you smoker for indirect cooking at about 225°F and my recommendation is to use pecan wood for smoke if you have that available. Otherwise, any smoking wood will work.

If your smoker has a water pan, fill it up.

Place the pan with the ham on the smoker grate and let it go for about 3 to 4 hours.

Make up a batch of ham glaze as follows:

IMG_3357-394x525.jpeg

About once every hour, go out there and glaze the outside of the ham with this stuff. You don't need to peel back the slices, just the outside will do.

Step 3: Slice and Serve
When the ham starts to get some nice crispiness to the edges or when you can no longer stand the amazing smell without taking a bite, call it done.

IMG_3364-700x525.jpeg

Remove the toothpicks and tear the slices off into a serving plate.

See that smaller piece right in the front middle? Tear that off and share it with your honey.. it's the best piece in the whole ham!

All those sweet and smoky juices in the pan can now be poured over the top of the slices.

Serve and enjoy!

Notes and Comments
I've had people ask if you can use honey on this.. the answer is YES. Also very good!

Another question I have received when talking about this method is “can you lay the ham flat side down?”. Well you can but in my opinion the smoke is not able to get in between the slices as well and you can tell it in the finished product.

Last edited:
that's a good looking ham. i'm sure the guest will gaga over it but if it out shines the wife's cooking I might not be invited back next year.:emoji_astonished:

Reactions: TulsaJeff
that's a good looking ham. i'm sure the guest will gaga over it but if it out shines the wife's cooking I might not be invited back next year.:emoji_astonished:
My turkeys and hams have outshined the wife’s indoor versions for about 6 years now. I think it frustrates her at first but now she just asks what I’ll be making for holidays LOL

I'm not a fan of Maple Syrup(go figure I live in the Maple syrup capital), but I must say that ham looks mighty inviting.

Point for sure
Chris

Wow, looks awesome Jeff!

I did a maple based glazed ham last year....now it’s expected!

Great color and photo!

Man that ham looks great Jeff! I had pretty much decided on your root beer pineapple glazed spiral ham for this year but now you got me re-thinking things!

That is just gorgeous!! One glorious looking ham, that's for sure. Sadly I'll be by myself for Thanksgiving this year. Tracy is going to KC to celebrate with her family but I laid down the law that I'm only making one trip a year north, which will be Christmas. The family needs to start sharing the holiday travel instead of us always having to go up there. Oh well...I get to host Christmas next year so the rotation of travel has started.

One beautiful ham!!
Robert

Looks Perfect Jeff!!
We've been eating Double Smoked Hams for about 50 years, but I've only been making My Own for about 8 or 9 years. Nothing like them, and like I said, "Yours Looks Perfect!!":emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:
Like.

Bear

Thank you to everyone for all of the kind words.. this ham is definitely THE way to go if you are cooking one for the Thanksgiving holiday.

I updated the post this morning to include the full instructions and images for each step.

I've been eating on mine for the last several days.. it's good cold, warm or hot. Plain or on a sandwich, with eggs, you get the idea:emoji_yum:

I updated the post this morning to include the full instructions and images for each step.

Wow Jeff....that wasn't just an update. That was a beautifully presented, full-blown, step-by-step tutorial. I could make a meal with the pictures on my computer screen!! :emoji_sunglasses:

Yummy!!
Robert

That look scrumptious! "See that smaller piece right in the front middle? Tear that off and share it with your honey.. it's the best piece in the whole ham!" Oh yeah! Big Like. RAY

Has anyone experienced a double/twice smoked ham that is too salty? Or does anyone soak the ham prior to loading on the rub and syrup?

The only Hams I Double Smoke are Hams we get from our Local Food Markets (Weis & Giant).
They have already been cooked & smoked & are "Heat & Eat" already.
Then all I do is Smoke them a second time. I don't add any salt, so the only way they could be too salty is if they were already too salty when we bought them from the store.
I have never had that happen. They should not need soaking, unless you get a "Country Ham" that is meant to be soaked for a long time. I believe that's what they call them.

Bear

The only Hams I Double Smoke are Hams we get from our Local Food Markets (Weis & Giant).
They have already been cooked & smoked & are "Heat & Eat" already.
Then all I do is Smoke them a second time. I don't add any salt, so the only way they could be too salty is if they were already too salty when we bought them from the store.
I have never had that happen. They should not need soaking, unless you get a "Country Ham" that is meant to be soaked for a long time. I believe that's what they call them.

Bear

sounds like I'm going to do this for Christmas Eve!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky