Double Smoked Ham - Plus

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well, I found this bone-in ham sitting in the EOL section of the local grocers meat section. I thought to myself - Self, we haven't had Q'd ham in a while. So I just had to do something about it. It was about a 10lber with a thin skin. Total cost $9.00

Time to fire up the 26" with a couple of buried chunks of apple.

DSC01107.JPG

Since it had a thin skin I just made a few slices and prettied her up with some pineapple and a drizzle of honey.
DSC01108.JPG

Decided I should use the inkbird this time. Worked like a charm.
DSC01109.JPG

TBS rolling...
DSC01110.JPG

Getting real close:
DSC01111.JPG

and she's off the Q.
DSC01112.JPG

Prepping for slicing:
DSC01113.JPG

...and sliced. Ready to be picked at for supper.

DSC01114.JPG

We got a couple of sliced ham dinners out of this - then she went thru a couple of more transformations:

First evolution: Ground up for ham salad.
DSC01115.JPG

Added some pickle juice, Miracle whip, black pepper, onion and gralic powder.

DSC01116.JPG

DSC01117.JPG

Gotta have a sammie:
DSC01118.JPG

The bone and leftover ham went into my wifes homemade pea soup. Ummm good(Sorry for the blurry pic). My first bowl

DSC01119.JPG
Here's a better shot of supper.
DSC01120.JPG

Thanks for taking the journy.

Chris

Awesome!!
Guess you know I love Double Smoked Ham---And Yours looks Great !!
I'm betting that Ground Ham salad tastes even better than Deviled Ham Spread!!
Nice Job, Chris!!
Like.

Bear

Chris That looks great I could eat that all day and then the Pea soup is one of my favs. Points
Richie

Awesome!!
Guess you know I love Double Smoked Ham---And Yours looks Great !!
I'm betting that Ground Ham salad tastes even better than Deviled Ham Spread!!
Nice Job, Chris!!
Like.

Bear

I most certainly do know you like your double smoked ham. I still had visions of that spiral ham you did not long ago. I'd almost rather have the ham salad and pea soup then the sliced ham. The canned stuff cannot compete with homemade - Totally agree. Thanks for the like and nice words, appreciate them.

The ham and the sammies are great! Not into pea soup though. It always reminds me of a certain horror movie.....!

Thanks Steve for the like and compliment. The exorcist doesn't bother me nearly as much as Jaws did when that head popped out of the boat with the eye hanging out.

Chris

Dang Chris, that there is really nice!

LIKE LIKE LIKE!

The ham salad looks awesome bring on the miracle whip!

I grew up on it but my wife love best foods mayonnaise :emoji_disappointed:

I have succumbed to it but every now and then I throw a fit and need to get my miracle whip on....

John

Looks great Chris! I've got one in the freezer I need to do. Did you eat the pineapple slices?

Thank you John, thank you very much...for the like and compliment. Of course we eat the pineapple - unless it they get burnt. A couple of these were pushing the limits.

Chris That looks great I could eat that all day and then the Pea soup is one of my favs. Points
Richie

Thank you Richie appreciate the like and kindly words. Soup season has started and we wanted to get in a primer. Pea soup has been a favorite of mine since I was a just a wee little tyke.

Chris

GMC that ham looks darn good.
dannylang

Thanks Danny we enjoyed it.

Hold Everything Else!
Just pass me a bowl of that Split Pea soup... Oh yeah!
Well, maybe some of that grilled pineapple for dessert too, please/thank you.

You're batting 100 Chris.
Like!

Thanks John I've been eating pea soup all my life and I still look forward to a few bowls of it this time of year. Also thanks for the like.

Chris

Dang Chris, that there is really nice!

LIKE LIKE LIKE!

The ham salad looks awesome bring on the miracle whip!

I grew up on it but my wife love best foods mayonnaise :emoji_disappointed:

I have succumbed to it but every now and then I throw a fit and need to get my miracle whip on....

John

Thanks John for the compliment and like appreciated them. My wife is the same way with Helmans Mayo. I can't buy any other brand. She does let me slip in a few jars of MW for tuna fish and ham salad.

Looks real good. Nice job!

Thank you very much Hawg.

Chris

Fine looking meal from start to finish Chris. You just can't beat homemade ham salad. Like!

Looks great ! I bet that ham salad taste awesome . Nice work .

Thanks you chop, the ham salad was terrific. It's all gone now - I wish I still had some left.

that's one fine looking ham, looks delicious, I love my ham salad also,

Thanks Jim for the like and compliment. Ham salad and pea soup are two very welcoming byproducts of the double smoked ham.

Chris

Man I do love split pea soup!! Ham looks great. I have yet to double smoke a ham. I need to get that on the menu soon!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky