Do you like renewable energy?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have known that for years, and a lot of $ has been thrown at it, the only thing that will help is reducing our power usage, better lighting heating and ac units ect.. the by products of battery making and reclamation is pretty costly.

Right wing idiot, pro fracking, oil soaked crap.
Agreed. Which are generally same people producing natural gas who run a lot of power plants. The distinction is the difference between what goes in your gasoline/diesel car/truck and what runs your TV, computer, phone, etc. That's why the natural gas producers put this kind of propaganda into the airwaves.

Germany, a country without a sizeable natural oil/hydrocarbon resource, has renewable energy consumption in excess of 45% of total electricity in the country. They have a goal of 80%.

Remember, hydroelectric power is renewable as long as it rains and snows, but it has its own costs, too. Nothing is free, but we have to look to the future to find energy sources and production methods that do not produce environmental poisons that find their way into our water, food, and air.

Oh, and don't forget about "peak oil." That's the point where oil consumption exceeds oil production and available reserves. We will run out of oil. Anyone want to pay $20+/gallon of gas?

In case you think I'm a California tree hugger...nope. The amount of CO2 pumped into the atmosphere from the current fires in the West has probably exceeded the output of all the cars in a large part of the world in a year. Volcanos can have the same impact. After Covid, fires, and hurricanes, a massive eruption is the last thing we need.

Now, what am I going to smoke today?

Germany, a country without a sizeable natural oil/hydrocarbon resource, has renewable energy consumption in excess of 45% of total electricity in the country. They have a goal of 80%.
The only problem there is Germany has a population of 83 mil while US has a population of 330 mil. Plus Germans pay 5.50 per gal. I just filled up for 1.79. I agree I like Hydro electric but then again tree huggers won't permit to build a dam. We cry about gas and oil but enjoy all the benefits it brings.
I'm sorry, I'm off my soapbox now. Everyone go back to enjoying their smokers while adding carbons in the air.

Reactions: noboundaries
All sounds a little bit too polical for me to comment on. Just remember this is a friendly forum with members from everywhere, doesn't matter if you're left or right, blue or red. Nothing wrong with having a discussion but stay civil

Ryan

Electric cars are a nightmare in the total picture. A lot of rare earth mineral (high carbon footprint to produce and none in the USA as I recall) plus charging them is predominantly done by hydrocarbon fueled power plants.

Canadians call their electric utility "hydro" for a reason.
Washington hydroelectric is sent to Commiefornia due to their green laws?
Washington has a great hydro resource, but western part of the state with the heaviest population does not have enough mean average winter sunlight to power those solar panels.

Compact Fluorescent Lights or CFL. A politicians debacle fueled by what lobbyist group? High mercury vapor release when they either fry out or people dump them in trash can. That's a "green" move in the wrong direction.

Natural gas or propane is the the ideal heating source in my colder climate. Why? A modern forced air furnace or boiler is around 85%+ efficient. Coal or natural gas derived electricity is only 30% (at best). Oh a heat pump that is 200% efficient (in a temp range we don't often see in the winter) still doesn't match the direct use of gas.

No need to be sorry. Opinions were voiced without getting rude to anyone. I do agree if you want to get political though it should be on private chat. We all agree on food and smoking though.

The problem with solar and wind etc....
If we switch to electric autos etc, and discontinue coal, nat gas, and fossil fuel sources of electricity, there will not be enough electricity to run our country...
How will you drive across the state.... How will groceries get delivered to stores so we have food.... How will hospitals operate without wind and sunshine .... How will factories operate....
It a bit more complicated than some folks have considered...
How will our air force fly.... How will the navy run their non nuclear ships....
If we could build nuclear plants, it might work but then there is disposal of spent fuel.....
From what I understand, natural gas burns pretty clean but some don't want to allow natural gas as a fuel....
All in all I think some are cutting off their noses to spite their faces.......

Renewable Energy is not an issue here. A couple of Deviled Eggs, a few Brats with Sauerkraut, Raw Onion, a side of Beans and a couple of Beers to wash it all down...2-3 Hours later, all the Natural Gas needed to run a small town!...JJ

And that'that's my point , Gary. Oil and gas will always have their place. Alberta is a place that renewable energy doesn't really work, except hydro. The misconception and message in the OP is that renewable energy will replace all energy and it doesn't work. Nope. At some point, without alternative energy options, none of us will be able to drive our gas/diesel vehicles, heat our homes, or run our appliances.

Look at algae reactors, a renewable source. It can produce diesel oil (biofuel). It's called a reactor because it's fueled by sunshine, and it can use waste water and water with high salinity. I read once that a reactor farm the equivalent size of New Mexico could provide the oil and gas needs of the Western hemisphere. Wikipedia states that a reactor farm half the size of Maine could produce ALL the petroleum needs of the US, and it burns cleaner.

Renewable energy is more than sun, wind, waves, tides, and hydroelectric, but that's what people think of first. None of alternatives to petroleum except electric were mentioned in the above link.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fueling Around
I am a foundation engineer and for every wind or solar farm we build a nat gas plant because the wind doesn’t always blow and the sun doesn’t always shine. I appreciate the extra Billings to build the nat gas plant tho 👍

Reactions: PPG1
Look at algae reactors, a renewable source. It can produce diesel oil (biofuel). It's called a reactor because it's fueled by sunshine, and it can use waste water and water with high salinity. I read once that a reactor farm the equivalent size of New Mexico could provide the oil and gas needs of the Western hemisphere. Wikipedia states that a reactor farm half the size of Maine could produce ALL the petroleum needs of the US, and it burns cleaner.

I know that eventually oil and gas will be replaced by something. I just don't really expect to see it in my lifetime. Maybe in my grandson's. It's simply a matter when.
I kinda think it's probably gonna be a hard sell in New Mexico and Maine, Ray, but that would sure solve the problem. LOL :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:
Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky