Do you like renewable energy?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am a foundation engineer and my business loves renewable energy.
Why?
For every big wind farm or solar-field we do I also get to do a nat-gas power plant.
Why #2?
Because sometimes the wind doesn't blow and the sun doesn't shine (especially at night).
But what about batteries?
Yes - there are those - but they are like old-school lead-acid batteries and they can only run at a fraction of the energy needed to run things. So battery power is for essential things/services only. If you're not essential... hmm... where have we heard that before?

If you like rolling brown/black-outs - then renewable energy is for you! Southern California is a perfect example.

BUT - there is good news.
Cold fusion is very close to becoming a reality (look at Lockheed Martin - Skunkworks).
Nuclear is awesome and incredibly safe in the USA.
Coal actually burns very clean and we have gobs and gobs of it...and should be fully embraced.

With today's technology, there is no way to get to ALL RENEWABLE ENERGY. But the smart move would be to have a mix of all.

Just a dumb engineers opinion.

Eddie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky