Do I still inject a frozen turkey that has "injected solution"?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GreggBB

Original poster
Jul 10, 2020
The frozen turkey is already purchased, and it contains "9.5% injected solution of water, salt..." etc. This is my first year smoking one and everything I'm reading talks about brining or injecting to keep it from drying out, but it sounds like this was already done; if I inject more to add flavor am I running the risk of too much moisture inside the bird?

You can inject, but no need to brine in a bucket, the bird already has enough salt and usually phosphates. The injecting is to add flavor. I recommend a premade injection like cajun injector marinade. I'm partial to roasted garlic and herb.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I usually brine all of my birds regardless of the manufacturers preparations. they always turn out great. some think this will "over salt" but technically that's just not possible - osmosis doesn't work that way - yes i am a science nerd in real life.

I usually brine all of my birds regardless of the manufacturers preparations. they always turn out great. some think this will "over salt" but technically that's just not possible - osmosis doesn't work that way - yes i am a science nerd in real life.
Agreed but you can overdo it with an injection but think it is hard to do. Wife is die hard Honeysuckle/enhanced bird and I can tell you for a fact of years using them that these bids do not contain anywhere near the amount of brine/salt they need for the results you expect. I ran the numbers one time and the injection they use is nearly all water. A safe way to approach enhanced birds is reduce injections by half or if by weight 1% salt.

As resident SMF devil's advocate I recommend you do NOT play around with new techniques or smoke your first bird for TG dinner. If missus is roasting one and you have room for error fine, but otherwise no.

Thanks everyone! Looks like I can't really go wrong with some flavor injector. And yes, this is the only bird being cooked this thanksgiving and it's my first. Risky but it's just the wife and kids this year so there's no extended company to disappoint if it goes sideways.

I wouldn't salt inject an already injected bird. I like to dry brine more than wet brine a store turkey. The dry brine allows the outside to dry out a bit for crispier skin but still give the flavor, and doesn't have as much of a mess; about 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt per pound of Turkey.
If I do wet brine a store bird, I do an equilibrium brine solution. Requires a bit of calculation, but it's impossible to over-salt the bird. You can still change the texture though if you aren't careful.
In most instances, if I can get a farm turkey I'll wet brine.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I buy Butterball turkeys, they are already brined, but to add extra flavor I inject them with Tony C’s marinade. We like the jalapeño butter injection. I just wish they would offer a salt free version!
Al

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky