Spatched Smokehouse Turkey.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
Spatched a #12# bird today in the Smokehouse.
This was a Jenny O bird enhanced with 9.5% solution. But I wanted to inject the bird with vegetable stock and stpp. So I mixed up 10% meat weight of Kitchen Basics veg stock with 0.5% salt and 0.25% sugar with 0.5% STPP. I warmed the stock to tepid ~90* then dissolved the phosphate, then the sugar then the salt.
No cure #1 was used in the smoking of this turkey.
I injected only about 1/4 of the solution, thinking about the already enhanced bird and glad I used caution. Then I rested the bird in the fridge over night.
This morning I fire up the smokehouse (was 15* this morning) to let it warm up and finish prep on the bird. I used this spice rub with about 1/4 stick of butter. Mixed well then carefully separated the skin from the breast and leg/thigh and rubbed the butter mixture under the skin directly on the meat.
00AFD75C-2F21-4379-B350-9F516412F5DA.jpeg

0BA431BA-B654-44A6-8B81-176CB23258F0.jpeg

For that I used half of the seasonings. The other half I mixed with about 1/4 cup of baking powder to rub the skin with. The BP should help crisp the skin at smoking temps.
8A0B9CE6-8422-4E13-8EE3-D2822AB200D3.jpeg

On to the smokehouse at 225* with apple and pecan mixture of wood chunks.
At 4 hours we were 157* in the breast and 163* in the thick of the thigh.
4AFBEE28-2091-479C-82FD-E2CE9DF79C2E.jpeg

So I turned the house down to 180* to hold the bird while we finished up in the kitchen. Meat follows behind the cooker temp by at least 15* so this holds the bird around 165* IT for another hour. It is fully pasteurized.
835AA055-16A7-410E-A0D1-A2822499BF1C.jpeg

All cut up and juicy. Is very delicious.
F76DB704-08E6-4A14-84E9-8B099113758A.jpeg

plate is smoked Turkey, mashed gold potatoes with one sweet tater thrown in the mix, giblets gravy, stuffing, deviled eggs and black olives and a yeast roll.
B213BB74-4D4F-44B5-97FC-15DF4881F329.jpeg

Thanks for stopping by, God Bless each and every one of you, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Looks really good! Nice job! But dang it... just realized I need to make some buns for Saturday... glad I seen yours! I totally spaced that off!

Ryan

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Looks really good! Nice job! But dang it... just realized I need to make some buns for Saturday... glad I seen yours! I totally spaced that off!

Ryan
I cheated and used some frozen yeast rolls, Texas sized. Just place the frozen dough balls on a baking sheet, cover with a towel for a couple hours, they thaw and rise nicely, then bake.

Typically I would do the same! But one of my cousins coming Saturday has some health issues going on... she can eat meat and bread, not much else...I told her I'd make homemade rolls! My schedule is messed up but glad I noticed...I owe her alot!

Ryan

Typically I would do the same! But one of my cousins coming Saturday has some health issues going on... she can eat meat and bread, not much else...I told her I'd make homemade rolls! My schedule is messed up but glad I noticed...I owe her alot!

Ryan
Homemade is king and you are a good man.

Homemade is king and you are a good man.
My cousin was my rock when my mom's health was really failing, and as much so after. Just hope I can do the homemade buns justice! I'm not a baker but have had some success at it.

Ryan

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky