Disinfecting griddle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeye02

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 26, 2020
Ohio
I've been remodeling the house so I haven't been doing much other than grilling on the kettle. This morning I decided I'd take some time and cook breakfast on the griddle. I opened up the grill only to find a mouse staring at me with a partially built nest and dropping all over my griddle top. So needless to say breakfast didn't happen outside. Now on to my question. I took the griddle off and washed it down with soap and water and scrubbed it with a sponge twice. I rinsed it off and left it on high for about 45 min then shut it off. Would this be enough to sterilize the surface good enough to be able to eat off of?

Just get it clean, as you have, then heat it up as you would to cook. That will kill any bad stuff, but washing is essential to getting the pee and such off. Just like camp. It’s all good.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Yep ya done good! Don't worry, that furry little thing wouldn't have tasted very good anyway and not very filling either!

Ryan

Lol I have a soft stomach. This morning I had my mind made up it was going out for the trash. Then the longer I though about it I decided to suck it up and clean it. I'll wait for the inlaws to come over and cook them some hibachi. All eat a hotdog. After that initial cook I'll feel better about eating off it myself!

Had one of those little buggers get into my RT 590. Vacuumed the hell out of it and washed down the very best I could. Stoked her up to 400° for couple hrs. Don't know if he came thru the grease shoot or one of the exhaust vents. Cover those with painters tape now when not being used.

I hope you washed the base unit (burner section) well before firing it up. Those critters crawl around and mark their territory very thoroughly.
We put botanical repellent sachet bags in all the trucks and tractors. We still periodically get a mouse in one of the Ken Worth and the Freight Shaker. A backup trap does the trick.

Lol I have a soft stomach. This morning I had my mind made up it was going out for the trash. Then the longer I though about it I decided to suck it up and clean it. I'll wait for the inlaws to come over and cook them some hibachi. All eat a hotdog. After that initial cook I'll feel better about eating off it myself!
Not fond of the in-laws?

Reactions: bigfurmn
Little guy really got in your head! The basic cleaning and heating the griddle took care of any contamination.
I know for a fact that Mice can get in your Oven, Walk around eating anything edible on your Stove Top and have parties in your Pantry or any Cabinet where you store food. Our Male Cats learned to open our Cabinets and now will investigate if there is any hint of a mouse. The Girls will form a semicircle in front of the Oven and have taken many mice. The cats pretty much patrol the kitchen 24/7...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky