• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
I have had a rack of dino’s that was gifted to me a while back. Thanks Robert, aka tx smoker tx smoker
I was waiting for something special, and our Grandson drove up from Delray Beach, to spend the weekend.
Perfect time to get these bad boy‘s out.

7F0B4A97-74E5-490E-B7BE-BE0BFDB5DCF7.jpeg

I did a bit of trimming to clean them up a bit, then coated them with S & P & Canadian steak seasoning.
I let them sit uncovered in the fridge for about 8 hours.
Then I put them on a rack over a pan that had some beef broth, and all the trimmings in it.

49445B55-A432-4064-88C9-D23AF6D3A6A2.jpeg

It went into the RT at 6:00 PM Sat. on Extreme smoke. With a water pan.

00E3ECFC-44CE-4341-BB5E-111E7EB30F27.jpeg

When I got up in the morning, I put a probe in & it was reading 160.
I let it go to 165, and I thought the bark looked good, the outside looks a bit dry, but all it needed was to get in a steam bath.

4245BDD0-B81C-4BED-BBDB-051FC9A141E7.jpeg

I poured some more beef broth in the pan & put the ribs in the broth & covered with foil.
I’m still running at 180 or Extreme smoke mode, because I just added the beans & they should take a few hours at this temp.
The unbelievable part is the IT is climbing higher than the CC temp. At 205 I checked them all over with a Thermapen & they were like butter, all within a couple of degrees of each other. Since the beans weren’t done yet, I put the ribs, still covered in our Emeril air fryer set on bake at 150. Perfect holding cabinet. Here they are in the foil.

F9ED3D0B-0FD8-4B18-B937-275817588DF0.jpeg

When the beans got done, we weren’t ready to eat yet so they went into the Emeril also.
Finally ready to eat!

AFC7526A-B314-408E-B5F1-EFDC2B78A063.jpeg

These turned out better than expected, great smoke ring, very juicy & tender, with wonderful beefy flavor!

9F28674F-64DF-4EF3-A4DC-92B335DE0FD6.jpeg

I think the kid liked them!

319E6526-2777-48E2-A3C3-D8CEBF70B025.jpeg

4E6CC6FF-6FF9-4A21-9BC5-96710D77B9A9.jpeg

I had the RT on Extreme smoke for 16 hours. I still don’t understand how you could get an IT of 205, when the CC is only 180 ( verified by an external monitor ( TW Smoke ). I guess the heat builds up under the foil and gets hotter than the smoker. Whatever happened, I will definitely try this again on other things. Even on Extreme smoke it still had a very nice smoke flavor. I did not use any other smoke generator, and used only Lumberjack. I had a mix of cherry & char hickory on one side, and a mix of mesquite & cherry on the other side. I was very happy with the smoke flavor. I’m learning that the quality of the pellet really makes a big difference. I also started straining the pellets to get the dust out. I will keep researching, but this was pretty close to what I think this grill will do. And I’m very happy with it so far!
Thanks for stopping by!
Al

Last edited:
Looks like the boy is in rib heaven! Great looking meal!
Altho I'm not really sure what looks better.....The meal or all that sunshine. It has been over cast and raining here for the better part of two weeks now! I'm about ready to start building a boat and collecting animals!

Jim

Looks fabulous thanks for sharing i got some plates in the freezer to do soon. raining like piss and cold here in n. calif too
It sure isn't very good smoking weather out West though we sure do need the rain.
But it's the snow pack from a couple more storms like this one that would really put a dent in the drought.

View attachment 650996

I had the RT on Extreme smoke for 16 hours. I still don’t understand how you could get an IT of 205, when the CC is only 180 ( verified by an external monitor ( TW Smoke ). I guess the heat builds up under the foil and gets hotter than the smoker.
Al

Ribs look great!

Basic thermodynamics says heat transfers from hot to cold. There must be another heat source that you are not measuring. Did you use hot broth when you poured it into the pan?

Reactions: SmokinAl
Ribs and beans look fantastic Al. Nicely done

Point for sure
Chris

Amazing! Good looking beans too!

You checked the grill temp right at the meat location I guess? In my Camp Chef the control probe is up against the left wall, so there is at least a 10-20 degree difference than in the middle and directly above the diffuser plate.

Looks like the boy is in rib heaven! Great looking meal!
Altho I'm not really sure what looks better.....The meal or all that sunshine. It has been over cast and raining here for the better part of two weeks now! I'm about ready to start building a boat and collecting animals!

Jim
Thanks Jim, sorry about your weather!
Al
Al, those are some beautiful looking ribs. That smoke ring too!
Excellent work.

Stu
Thank you Stu!
Al
Looks fabulous thanks for sharing i got some plates in the freezer to do soon. raining like piss and cold here in n. calif too

They look great! His face says it all

Looks great Al! I am sure you did Robert proud!

Woke up to a ground covering of snow this AM, going to have to move the snow blower into the garage now.
Thanks guys, I hardly ever watch the news or weather, unless it’s hurricane season. Hope it gets better soon!
Al
A gift from Robert is like a gift from heaven. What an impressive meal! I’d be smiling, too. Nice work.

Great lookin ribs and beans
Thanks guys!
Al
Ribs look great!

Basic thermodynamics says heat transfers from hot to cold. There must be another heat source that you are not measuring. Did you use hot broth when you poured it into the pan?
No there was no heat source, that is what I don’t understand!
Thanks, Al
Ribs and beans look fantastic Al. Nicely done

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris
Amazing! Good looking beans too!

You checked the grill temp right at the meat location I guess? In my Camp Chef the control probe is up against the left wall, so there is at least a 10-20 degree difference than in the middle and directly above the diffuser plate.
Thank you Rick!
I had a ThermoWorks Smoke probe right next to the control probe. I haven’t done that before, except on an overnight cook. So if something happens to the grill, I would know right away. The 2 probe tips were within 1” of each other.
Al

Reactions: JLeonard
Al, those are some nice looking ribs and beans!

As for the 205 temp and CC air temp of 180....the plate over the fire pot is higher than 180. The plate radiates heat at a higher rate and the close proximity of the pan to plate creates boiling temp or just above. The rendered fat and broth method is dear to my heart......

Last edited:
Thank you Rick!
I had a ThermoWorks Smoke probe right next to the control probe. I haven’t done that before, except on an overnight cook. So if something happens to the grill, I would know right away. The 2 probe tips were within 1” of each other.
Al
Yeah that's how I trouble-shot and found out my first control probe was bad. It started out about 20 degrees off and the range got progressively worse as the overall temp increased. Got replacement(s) and back in business.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky